Repave
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 July 2017
I got this as I love Bon Iver and as Justin Vernon is the creative force behind this band too I thought it's worth a go. His characteristic vocals and harmonies are ever present in this album too. There is more of a band behind the vocals on this record and I think that helps flesh out the sound well. If you're a fan of Bon Iver this is very much worth a listen.
on 4 December 2013
I had heard of Justin Vernon, like most people, because of Bon Iver, but despite following other post rock bands, hadn't come across Collections of Colonies of Bees before. This album melds the two styles together to deliver a mature sound that stands up to repeated listening. I jumped at the chance to see them perform in Bristol as soon as they announced their November 2013 tour dates, and I was not disappointed. They played a couple of new songs which suggests further releases are in the works.

From what I hear, Justin is not in any hurry to revive Bon Iver now that he has this new outlet for his work. It's been fascinating to trace his career and those of the people he's been working with (such as Sean Carey) and the many different projects they contribute to. The "norm" when I was a lad was for bands to form, release a few albums and then for the singer to go solo; these guys prove that it's possible to follow a different path (and paths) which comes across as much less marketing and record company led, but, instead, authentic and personal.
on 26 January 2014
Another group I fell into by accident and really kinda difficult to pigeon hole because they follow a single path. These guys are off on weird and wonderful journeys of their own but seriously do remind me very heavily of 80's bands such as Japan and Bauhaus for example.
I completely dig the 80's vibe something rotten so for me a real catch.
If you buy this, take it with an open mind and listen to them a few times to get their vibe in yer bones. But no matter what, enjoy my friends.
on 14 February 2016
My all-time favourite album (and trust me I'm picky)
Sound quality not as good on vinyl obviously but this was bought for aesthetic reasons!
on 13 April 2015
Best album I have bought in years. Really enjoyable listen, reach for it again and again.
on 9 January 2014
This is up there with Bon Iver's best but seems to have slipped under the radar. Brilliant from start to finish. Epic, stirring but also intricate and human...
on 27 May 2015
Brilliant! Reminds me of Bon Ivor.
on 10 January 2015
Christmas present well received
on 22 July 2014
Beautiful album, even better on Vinyl.
on 28 December 2014
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse