on 7 September 2014
I decided to purchase this drive after reading other reviews where people confirmed that it supports 720Kb diskettes. Most USB floppy drives can only read and write 1.38Mb formatted disks, but this one could even read an old single sided floppy (360Kb formatted).
It is very silent, it produces less noise than other internal or external drives and it's also faster. I performed a virus scan on the same floppy disk using this and another USB drive. It took almost one minute less when using this one.
I've tested it on Windows XP, Linux and Android. It worked in every system without installing any driver.
on 29 November 2013
Inexpensive but works well. I bought this to recover some old files off 15 year old floppy disks. Works very well on Win 8.1. A little noisy in use but this is not a big deal. So far everything has been read perfectly allowing me to store some old but valuable files on to a new archive. Being picky, I gave 4 stars just for the noisy operation. very happy.
on 22 October 2016
I bought this to rescue a system that had a corrupted BIOS that doesn't support USB flash drive boot, and it has worked perfectly in that task, it's very very quiet for a floppy drive and is, considering the nature of floppy disks and the limitations of such a medium, also very quick.

In the process of rescuing the system and just dicking around with old operating systems, I've tried it with MS-DOS 6.0, 6.22, 7.1, Win98SE, Win ME, Win XP and finally, just because I needed to download some files on a modern PC, I also tried it on Win 10 and it works perfectly with all of them with the exception of Win 98SE, which needed USB controller drivers for the mobo before I could use it within that particular OS, but Win 98 was always awkward with USB, so no surprises there.

If I was being nitpicky, I would say that I wish the cable was removable in case it gets damaged or I wanted to swap it for a longer one, but for how little I paid for the device, it really doesn't matter, and speaking of which, the cable is 1' 11" long (about 585mm) which is plenty to reach any USB port on the vast majority of computers.

On a final note, I can't say at this time how reliable it is, but it cost so little to buy that honestly it has already paid for itself, so I really don't mind how long it lasts at this point.
on 5 February 2014
I bought this because I got rid of my desktop PC and found some old 3.5" floppy disks. There were no instructions just the product. I plugged it into my laptop and although it beeped when the USB was connected, my computer didn't recognise it. It took me a few minutes to work out how to get it to work. I realised it may be because I use Windows 8.1. So I went into control panel, then into Hardware & Sound and found the item and ran troubleshooter. I then found the item on my laptop and it works fine. I was able to transfer my files and even format the floppy disk.
on 6 August 2015
Believe it or not, I STILL have floppy disks. About 80 of them, going back years. They all contain mainly software from various companies, as that was the way new software was distributed, even software from Microsoft. I'm in the process -- slowly -- of transferring the contents to a modern USB external drive, but I needed a RELIABLE floppy drive. The floppy drives in my PCs are old and unreliable. They do read floppies that are in perfect condition, but there are too many that fail due to read errors. With this external floppy drive connected to a USB port, I get far fewer read errors. The drive looks and feels of good quality and is as cheap as chips. Get one! (If you're a floppy geek like me!)
on 26 April 2016
Fantastic product. I had many 3.5" discs in storage, data of which I thought would never again see the light of day, until I saw this little beauty for sale on Amazon. Much of my work from the early 1990's I'd resigned myself to believe was lost to the archive, and have just rediscovered files from one of my most creative periods, work of which I'd forgotten had existed. I would recommend this drive to anyone who is old enough to remember 3.5" floppies, and wishes to delve back in time to recapture a moment or two of the past.
on 30 May 2014
Plug in and use. Magic. This inexpensive drive works quickly and feels very solid. What a bargain.
I wanted to recover files from a dozen 15 years old floppies and I did this in no time. I have a bog standard PC with Windows 7. I just used it as an extra drive. The software loaded in seconds. I am not clever with PCs and I have no patience when things do not work first time. This was, for me, very easy.
Only problem: I would love to recall just how much I paid when buying an external floppy for my Vic 20 or Amiga. And I cant remember !! A lot more than £5.
Delivery was lightning fast. Packing very good. What a bargain.
on 27 March 2015
Bought to rescue data from some old floppy disks - did the job perfectly. Takes a few seconds to be recognised on a PC (probably while the PC installs drivers). It's been used with both a Windows 7 and a Windows XP computer with good results in both cases. Normally installs as drive A: unless the PC already has a built in floppy drive. Also used successfully with Sinclair QL emulators called QPC2 and QemuLator running on Windows 7, in case that's of interest to anyone.
on 25 November 2015
Ordered this for my dad for Christmas as he's still living in the dark ages and he couldn't find one anywhere (don't know where he was looking as I've found loads!?). Delivery was very prompt from Proxima Direct so thank you, that really helps at this time of year when you're trying to get all your ducks in a row! Tested the item on my Windows 7 laptop and it works really well. The driver device software installed quite quickly and the drive was ready to use in a matter of minutes. The item is very compact and lightweight, ideal for when you're on the go. The drive does make a little noise when it's thinking or opening a file but doesn't really bother me. Overall I'm very impressed. :-D
on 10 November 2016
Our floppy disk part on the computer tower broke and so we were thinking of buying a new tower. Found this instead which was a whole lot cheaper and so simple to use. It came quickly and all you have to do is plug it in and off you go.