Great for a good laugh, some of it is a bit corny but there are some gems in there as well, good fun for anyone.
on 3 January 2014
I picked this up when free, and it came recommended from some respectable places. I'm not entirely sure what to say about it, but I'll do my best.

It's a sequel, of sorts, but I was assured would be easily pick-up-able as a standalone book, and it is. It's a series of fictional review-cum-vignettes written by the population of a village of simpletons, each of whom believes themselves to be the smartest tool in a box of very blunt tools. The reviews are of items tenuously linked to each vignette, and each as each reviewer takes a turn, you see that everybody is in some way to blame for another's misfortune.

Okay, so the device is excellent, and applaudably original. I'm yet to see another book like this, and I can see why it is such a popular item. Sortwell has come up with a quality idea, and huge kudos for him for that.

My issue comes with the content, and it's down to a personal preference thing rather than anything that the author has done wrong. The humour is far too gentle for my tastes, aside from a few glimpses of innuendo, which prevented me from cracking much more than an occasional smile. The thing I could compare it to most, is the sort of eighties children's TV which had subtle dirty jokes that only adults could get. TV like Dangermouse, or Rainbow. So, apologies to the author for only 3 stars. If it had been pitch black in humour and content then it would have been five stars. As it is, however, it's just the 3. Excellent format, but personally I'd prefer the content a bit riskier.
on 19 June 2013
This book, like it's predecessor The Village Idiot Reviews (A Laugh Out Loud Comedy), also takes the form of reviews of products available on Amazon.

Although the reviews are meant to be tongue-in-cheek, they all have a link to the relevant Amazon product page, and the review appears there. The product reviews are used to bring the narrative along, and the use to which each product is put is explained by the character reviewing it.

The reviews themselves are hilarious. Laugh Out Loud? YES!

A very original concept. The reviews are not repetitive, as Pete Sortwell creates a number of characters to assess each item. These characters themselves are the real stars: Bishop Desmond, Denny, Father Frederick and Ethel to name a few amongst a host of others, all bring their unique 'insight' into everyday products. All of them are barking mad though each character firmly believes that what they do is acceptable behavior!

I found this a light read, with lots of 'Oh My God!' moments - and, yes, I couldn't resist clicking the link to a number of these products to see if the review was *really* there. They always were.

5 stars for this original concept.
on 3 June 2013
Father Frederick has lost his nipples in a freak moped accident. That scream in the distance? Oh that's just him putting TCP on them. You have Bonkers Lord Monty and his not so loyal sadistic gamekeeper Chopper strolling round the grounds causing mayhem. Denny riding cows for the thrill of it.

Pete Sortwell returns with More Village Idiot Reviews bringing back some of the characters from his Village Idiot Reviews. Daft humour is the order of the day and the story is again connected via a series of fake Amazon reviews.

If you want high art and to ponder the infinite this book isn't for you. If you want a laugh to brighten up your day then I recommend it. Sortwell's fiction is very much slapstick calamity driven humour. MVIR will have you laughing and wincing in equal measure. An original concept that is also being explored through the authors other titles so if you enjoy this then I'd urge you to seek them out.
on 5 June 2013
I've been waiting to see where the idiots from the last book ended up, so I was more than pleased when i was sent a review copy. This book is just as funny and the characters just as stupid, if not stupider than the original. I read in one sitting and am interested to see if there'll ever me a 'further village Idiot reviews'
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 13 June 2013
It took me a while to "get" this and therefore my initial experience of the book was not positive. I dislike disjointed and unconnected anecdotal books and was preparing to write this off as one of those. I persisted with reading it because I really don't like to give totally negative reviews and I am glad I did as it suddenly began to hang together and form a fuller narrative. Whilst the slapstick style of humour isn't really my cup of tea there were parts which made me laugh and overall the book is somewhat amusing, although I would not describe it as "Laugh out Loud". I don't think it is something I would pay for but as a free download it is not a waste of time.
on 4 June 2013
I loved this! I've been reading Pete Sortwell's series of books for a while and was pleased to see he had released a follow up to the brilliant Village Idiot Reviews. Sortwell has a real talent for creating oddball characters, and for hilarious observational humour. He seems to be getting better with each release.
I love the idea of these books, and it's followed through brilliantly. All the characters inhabit the same 'village' and it's all written in Sortwell's trademark style.
I really did laugh out loud - highly recommended!!
on 31 December 2013
The first review had be howling.The image of Father Frederick riding a holiday moped in nothing but speedos, socks and his dog collar set me off. The accident and what the locals, who take a dislike to him tell him to do to help himself almost had me wetting myself. The book interlinks all the different reviews into a story and I wish I'd read the first book before this. Never mind, I'll be going back to read it and the others.
on 4 June 2013
The funniest thing I've read in a long while. The kind of humour that has me snorting a drink down my top. If it's blackcurrant squash it can look like a scene from a horror film but I digress. If you like the old greats like Laurel and Hardy and that old fashioned kind of comedy you'll enjoy the goings on in this crazy village!
on 5 June 2013
When I read about Father Fredericks Accident, I was snorting. This was ok as I was at home. However when I later read about Ethel and her revenge campaign I wasn't, I was at work and the laughter caused a few raised eyebrows. I must have looked like a village Idiot myself. A great read and insanely funny.