on 2 October 2017
Used the free version, was really impressed so paid the few pounds to have the proper, unlimited update version.
I have downloaded the whole of the UK (along with the world map thing needed to display any map), which means I can use this app offline.
The GPS works in offline mode.
The detail for footpaths is amazing.
I'm on PAYG mobile, so to use data would be expensive for me.
Not used it as a navigation aid yet.
Also bought the contour lines plugin.
on 23 August 2017
The detail is amazing. We use this app on bike trips when we are phones have no data/wifi access. The downloaded (and frequently updated) maps are better than Google maps in my opinion.
on 29 September 2015
Not the best
on 24 February 2014
This is a sat nav app with free maps (Open Street Map); free maps = great (though they may or may not be quite as good as one of the premium European sat nav map company's maps eg Navteq).

Route planning looks like it has some weird limitations (I don't think it will plan long routes..).

UI is for the tech savvy.

It has allot of tech savvy features compared to a consumer type sat nav app.

It has an absolute killer 5* feature: it will follow routes you have designed on your PC so is ideal for road trips where you want to follow a scenic route.

Using Tyre on your PC you can design your routes, then save them as a GPX route. You can then load this GPX file in OsmAnd+ and follow the route in your car.

AFAIK There is currently no other app for Android that will work as a sat nav and follow a pre designed route. I have tried many many apps and this is the only one that can do it. For example Co-pilot has route planning but this is just a list of waypoints and the route is recalculated when you load the route... so to follow an exact route you need to enter a silly amount of waypoints so that it follows the exact road you want).

Planning on trying it in anger during the summer when on a road trip; I have already made route files for all of my main drives.
on 24 June 2014
I tried the free version of this app and it works fine and requires no mobile internet access to run. It uses GPS as stated and although it is a bit slow at working out the route, its presentation, detail and accuracy is good.
So I purchased the paid app and installed it on my tablet all ready for my trip to France. Unfortunately The + version the one I paid for requires internet access, this is to verify the purchase I believe and as my tablet has GPS but no mobile networking is all but useless once I take it out of wireless range. Very disappointed with this as it ruins a perfectly good sat nav application I would happily give this app 5 starts if this could be sorted. I have emailed the developers but am still awaiting a reply.
on 18 May 2014
I downloaded this on to my Kindle Fire HD with a view to using the Kindle as a 7 inch Sat Nav for my coming holiday driving through France. I did try a small local route and simulated it and it seemed to work OK. There was no voice for the simulation despite the fact I had loaded the correct files for an English voice. Also, more importantly, while sitting in my garden, the location of my home was incorrectly stated. It was a full 'road' out, stating my home address was in the adjacent road about 100 metres away. I had already tried Forever map 2 and got rid of that, so I have decided to buy a cheap sat nav with European mapping instead.
on 1 August 2017
Handy app
on 4 August 2017
This is a fabulous maps and navigation app with many great features like contour lines (optional extra), different maps styles, ski maps, trip recording, offline maps, etc.

With so much functionality it does take little bit of time getting used to but it is well worth the effort.

It is a great alternative to Google Maps, especially of you are on Lineage OS.
on 5 January 2014
As the title says, this app could be better. It is more than halfway 'there', but some areas need tweaking for a more useful 'user experience'.
On my Kindle Fire, it is very slow to work out routes - especially the longer ones. Having said that, it eventually it gets there.
It could do with a better Gazzetier and a 'From-To' method of route making.
And, after all, what can you expect for free/£2:99????
on 31 January 2014
The offline mode won it for me. Still learning the app. Will be back with final verdict after my trip overseas in february, but looks good so far.