Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£7.59

on 7 November 2013
Corey Feldman is quite a polarising figure. It can't be denied that in the 1980s he was a huge star featuring in such classic films as The Goonies, Stand By Me and The Lost Boys but that was a long time ago and these days he's not exactly an A lister. He has become a figure of fun for many people these days (just search for any of his music on YouTube and read the comments) and his attempts at being some sort of Hugh Hefner like figure with his "Corey's Angels" is doing him no favours. I first really became a major fan of Corey Feldman after seeing him not taking himself too seriously in the Big Wolf on Campus episode "What's the storey mourning Corey" which unfortunately doesn't get covered in his memoir. Once he was on my radar I was amazed to realise just how many films I love dearly that he has played a part in and I've followed his exploits ever since. Which is why I was eager to read this very book.

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book. It is written by Feldman himself and he can come across as a bit delusional at times but it is a compelling read. It's not surprising that he spends a lot of time focusing on the two relationships that define his fame as much as his acting career. The book kicks off focusing on the death of Corey Haim and there's plenty of coverage of his relationship with Michael Jackson. The book is fairly dark with Feldman painting a vivid picture of a very unhappy childhood with abusive parents. The main talking point of this book has been Feldman's disclosure of the sexual abuse he suffered and most controversially the sexual abuse Corey Haim was subjected to and never really spoke out about. This is often very unpleasant to read about and it is painfully sad that so many young actors are subjected to these kinds of horrors. I'm not sure discussing what happened to Corey Haim, especially when he's no longer here to give his own account of what happened, was the best idea but it is clear that Haim meant a great deal to Feldman.

This isn't a long book and is easy to get engrossed in. It covers everything from his early acting roles up to the present day. The only real complaint I have with the book is the lack of detail when talking about the many legendary films he worked on. There's plenty of information on what drugs he was on whilst making Licence To Drive but there's very little on the actual making of The Goonies. Feldman has worked with a lot of talented actors and directors and I'd like to have read more about them. I'd have loved to know more about the making of The Lost Boys, his Friday the 13th appearances and his work on the first and third Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies. I guess focusing on the heartache and the pain is what people buy memoirs for but as a film fan I wanted a real insight into the professional world of Corey Feldman and his impressive CV.

Overall this is an enjoyable book that gives real insight into Feldman as a person. It's touching in places (especially when talking about the birth of his son) and I found myself liking Feldman a lot more than I thought I would. It's a fairly inspiring tale of someone who hit the big time and lost it all but never gave up. If you're a fan of Feldman, 80's pop culture or just want an insight into the darker side of Hollywood this book is well worth a read. And he even manages to mention Ascension Millenium which if you haven't seen you should check out on YouTube right now!
on 2 April 2014
This is, to date, my favourite autobiography. Well-written and readable, you learn a lot within 300 pages about not only Feldman, but the entertainment industry in general and it's darker side. It's also great for fans of Corey and his films to see behind the scenes of cult classics, such as The Lost Boys. While it isn't a book written about "The Two Coreys", it does include a lot of info about the late Corey Haim's life, and, of course, the self-proclaimed "King of Pop", Michael Jackson.
on 4 January 2015
I like Corey Feldman, I've watched three of his films so I was intrigued when this autobiography appeared in one of my daily book emails. It was a heartfelt, open and honest account of his life and career. He's been quite frank about his accounts and I found I have more respect for him as a person after years of bad press. I would file this under a must read, even if you are only vaguely aware of who he is.
on 18 July 2014
It’s impossible to have grown up in the 1980s and not love Corey Feldman who co-starred in such contemporary classics as “Gremlins”, “The Goonies”, “Stand by Me”, “Friday the 13th Part IV”, “License to Drive”, “The ‘Burbs” and of course “The Lost Boys”. But when that decade came to a close, so, for all intents and purposes, too did his young career. I knew that he and his good friend and frequent co-star Corey Haim had struggled with drugs but was shocked to find out that apparently both had also suffered from sexual abuse, so when his autobiography was released I decided to find out from the man himself what had actually happened to destroy two careers that once seemed destined for greatness.

The book starts with the day Feldman found out about Haim’s death and that chapter pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the story. It’s hard to believe that someone whose films have been such an integral part of so many fond childhood memories actually had an absolutely terrible upbringing himself. From the mental and physical pain he suffered at the hands of his emotionally unstable and drug addicted mother and the many men in her life to the sexual abuse that was kept well under wraps but very much present in 80s Hollywood, “Coreyography” offers an at times wonderful, but often very sad and dark insight into the lives of child actors. Throughout it all, Feldman doesn’t try to justify his faults but speaks openly about how he first got involved with drugs and pretty much ruined his chances of having an A-list Hollywood career before he was old enough to legally drink, his friendship with Michael Jackson and how he got to be sexually molested.

It’s impossible to discuss Feldman and not mention Corey Haim, who tragically passed away in 2010 after a long history of substance abuse that ruined his career and left him all but penniless at the time of his death. Haim never wrote an autobiography himself so most of the information about his life is limited to what was published in newspaper articles, magazines and on the internet. Although this book is very much about Feldman’s life, “the two Coreys” were an integral part of each other’s lives and if anyone could tell his tormented friend’s story it was him, so I was glad to find that a good part of this book is devoted to explaining who Haim was and why he was so bent on destroying himself.

Despite having had such a rough childhood, Corey Feldman seems to have grown up to be a genuinely nice, caring and warm person and I very much enjoyed reading about his life.
on 4 March 2015
Growing up watching films like The Goonies and Lost Boys as soon as I heard Corey had released a bio I knew I had to read it.
It's an honest tale about life under a microscope. No stone is unturned and no punches are pulled. At times it was tough to hear about the troubles he had with abuse and drugs but I was amazed by the fact he seems to have come out the other side a sane person. It must've taken a lot of courage to be honest about everything but it's an impulsive read as I couldn't put it down.
on 11 May 2015
Having been a Corey Haim fan many years ago I always wondered what had transpired. River Pheonix - one of their friends also hit the skids sometime before Haim too sadly. Something was going on. I really wanted to believe Corey Feldman's book. But after reading the book and watching a few interviews etc that occured after Haim's death it was difficult for me to believe one way or another. I do believe Feldman was and tried to be a good friend to Haim. I also believe that there was and still is much child abuse in Hollywood. However, I could escape the fact either that Feldman had many years of financial issues...did he really write this book to cash in on Haim or REALLY tell his side of the story? I don't know & never will.
In my heart of hearts I want to believe he wrote the book to get the story out there...but he could have done more...trying to help other child actors not get preyed upon...A sad tale indeed.
on 23 May 2014
What a dark book and a bad childhood. Corey (born 1971) came from an abusive family complete with mentally ill, drug-using mother. He didn’t interview either parent for this, which is disappointing but understandable since he doesn’t have much of a relationship with them. I’d like to know what they think of his being molested and given drugs by grown men, beginning when he was just thirteen. Until he was emancipated at fifteen his parents spent his money as if it was their own. It makes me angry that an adult could spend a child’s money.

Being verbally and physically abused by his parents and grandfather, molested by a few grown men, and teased and taunted by classmates when he actually went to regular school likely led to his drug use and two suicide attempts as a teenager. I don’t think he mentioned whether or not he’s ever gone to therapy. If he has I’d have liked to have read about what they discussed and the therapists’ advice and such. The book is just shy of 300 pages and I feel like more could have been said on certain topics and the things I’ve just mentioned could have been added.

He mentioned his friend and fellow actor Corey Haim (born 1971) quite a bit. Corey H. was molested at eleven and had been on a downward spiral since. He became a very heavy drug user I think after being molested again by a man when he was fourteen, during the filming of the movie Lucas. He was extremely hyperactive and hypersexual and even tried to have sex with Corey Feldman a few times.

Now for the negative: He didn’t mention how he got into acting, didn’t mention if he even enjoyed it or if he does it still because it’s what he’s done for most of his life. He gave a vague reason for why his second marriage ended (lack of trust). I don’t see how you can talk about something as personal as being molested yet not mention much about your marriage or the woman you were married to. He didn’t mention when and why he became vegetarian. He told us that sex acts were preformed on him as a teen by a few men but never once said whether he preformed them on others. I found that a bit odd but I’m going to assume he did those things and didn’t want that mentioned. How do you write a book about yourself, mention that your mother hated your nose and said it ‘wouldn’t stop growing’ (as she held him down) and never once mention your two nose jobs? I had to learn that here. Most importantly he didn’t give a reason for why he never told his parents, directors, other cast mates, or the police, that he was being molested.

I like reading about the darker side of life so needless to say I enjoyed this book. Yes, it could have been a bit better and more detailed in some areas. I hope he writes a follow-up book in the future.

I received this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
on 7 February 2014
Enjoyed this read from beginning to end. Corey is SO articulate. The story of his life is a rollercoaster of emotional strains told in such fascinating detail. For all he's been through I applaud him for having stood the test of time.
on 22 January 2015
A beautifully written and brutally honest account of growing up as a child in the clutches of Hollywood.
Corey is not looking for sympathy and is very honest about the mistakes he has made.
A humble guy just being honest from his heart.
A must read.
on 23 July 2014
I really enjoyed this look into Corey Feldmans life, I was a massive fan of the 2 Corey's growing up and it really saddens me to read what happend to them. The book details Corey's big films as well as his friendships and family life, even though some of the subject matter is pretty grim it's a really easy read. A must for Feldman fans!