Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£11.30

on 11 November 2000
Not only clearly written description of various ailments that are likely to be encountered in developing countries, the book is also cleverly indexed with yellow paged index, green paged dosages and precautions. Also a v useful health care reference for westerners.
A must for medical missionaries... Clear, concise, illustrated, and practical are but a few words that describe of this book. I especially appreciated the "attitude" of the book... not only one of healing the sick, but also one of teaching those in the village how to establish a medical community of their own. It's a great book to use and then leave for those with whom you've been working. "Where There Is No Dentist" would be a good companion, as well.
Reviewed by Detra Fitch
on 10 November 2015
Zombie survival here I come. I think if I did some volunteering (where this is sort of written for) I would look like a prick, it's like taking your own hospital. I have it on PDF, but was happy to donate money through the purchase of the book as its so good.
on 1 June 2014
wow. i thought it was all bedside manner, prescribing pills and special first aid secrets of surgeons. boy was i wrong. this book is down to earth, practical and explains healthcare in a way that locates health within a community and focuses on how actions in our day-to-day life are what really makes the difference between good health and crippling, life threatening conditions. I bought it for after the apocalypse, but it is just as applicable and just as important before a pandemic wipes us all out. if everyone read this book there probably wouldn't even be a pandemic. not even kidding now. excellent book. essential
on 31 May 2013
Excellent book series by the Hesperian Organisation. Excellent work has gone into making these. I remember them from childhood seeing them sitting on my aunts desk, they have removed so many misconceptions and superstitions of societies related to health and well being of a person. "Where there is no doctor", "where there is no dentist", where women have no doctors, helping children etc are the series produced by them. I believe everyone should read these to be prepared for any situation and you MUST read these if you like to travel around africs, asia and americas. I tell you, you won't be disappointed!
on 20 April 2012
My life was incomplete before I got this amazing book from Amazon. In terms of the medicine you'll need for the war against poverty, it has everything short of an actual modern surgery, which you cannot do much about anyway.

Superb overview of basic medicine, common diseases and working with the resources you have on site.

There are different editions depending on where you are. It's a classic work and for the price, you can't beat it. It's well-laid out and has a useful colour-code system.

A fine and admirable series of volumes
on 8 October 2013
A must take when you are off the beaten track. Was a huge comfort to me and my family when we spent two months in Sierra Leone with the nearest doctor at least a couple of hours drive away. Let's you know when it is worth making the long journey to see a doctor, and when it is best just to wait. Very comprehensive guide.
on 19 July 2013
Good for basic medical knowledge, for prepping also. Recommended. Nothing else to say but I stiil have to write some words. Done.
on 14 October 2015
excellent but same illustrations as original book ..maybe need updated.. happy to do it for them
on 24 August 2014
A very useful book, plan to use it on my return to Cambodia in 2015.