on 3 December 2015
Well I wasn't entirely what to expect as many of these films that insert live action to cartoon films often don't have the same feeling as the originals. Now in this case it neither succeeds, but more especially does not fail. It is a way to wind away the hours and a good deal has been done with a film that does not have the backing of a major film seen generally in the West. I did like the way some of the characters build and their interactions. Also for those not expecting it, namely my Son, it is subtitled and like many films of this genre over-dubbing English would simply not have worked. If you are prepared to read the subtitles, see the characters, and listen to the tone of the voice it helps establish the emotion at the time. At the end of the day, I enjoyed it, my Son ended up enjoying it; it is not a US Blockbuster type film and it is not one of those cheesy US made for television films. It is from my youth one of those better than the rest B Movies with credible actors, some good special effects and a plot that generally builds.
on 8 September 2013
Sadly, not recommended.

I pre-ordered this.

I wanted to like it.

Unfortunately the film borders on tedious: I nearly fell asleep.

Compared with the anime (all of them, even the butchered by the Yanks Star Blazers) this film is a very, very poor effort.

Don't waste your hard-earned on this: get yourself copies of the current anime TV series Space Battleship Yamato 2199 which is truly superb; or any of the other TV/Film anime versions (even Star Blazers).
on 20 August 2013
Probably one of the best sci-fi films I've seen for a while, with great visuals and some awesome action that should please any viewer. Given the recent rebirth of Star Trek, and ongoing success of Hollywood sci-fi and visually appealing blockbusters, it's a pleasure to see that Japan has its own answer to this trend. The biggest budget film in Japanese history matches up to its western counterparts and offers a fresh look at space exploration.

One important thing to note is the film is very much a product of Japanese culture. The scripting is often over-dramatic, and the acting quite exaggerated, but if you can accept these as stylistic differences to the standard Hollywood blockbuster, then Space Battleship Yamato is definitely an essential in your sci-fi epic collection!
on 6 August 2012
I was a huge fan of the Starblazers tv series and when i heard of its rebirth as a anime then a live action I was thrilled . however bad luck was on my side since the USA was not going to carrying it until 2013 or 2014 . I was overjoyed at seeing it on Amazon.Uk .
Anyways the CGI is awesome .The fight scenes are things you love catching on sf space battles . Granted it differers from the anime with a few twists BUT to quote River Song " Spiolers " ...
on 8 November 2012
I cannot understand German or Japanese but the lack of English sub-titles did not detract from my enjoyment of this film, to which I award a full 5 stars. My rating is more subjective than my usual objective self. I bought this film to see an example of how other people (i.e. other than Americans or British) treat the subjects they make films about. It's a good education getting into world cinema. For this particular subject, totally the expression of someone's imagination, I was fascinated by how a WW2 battleship, with its attendant level of contemporary technology (i.e. dinosaurian by today's standards) could be transformed into an inter-stellar vehicle with some quality clout. I was pleased with the attempt, though of course it's really over the top. I love films with copious SF, and Space Battleship Yamato does not disappoint. The story line is not at all naff, because if it had been I'd have been embarrassed. Another point to take into account is comparing this film with the Japanese "The Pacific Battleship Yamato", which features the same WW2 vessel, and is a fist-class film in every way. Both films are meticulous in paying attention to the ship's design details, something I've a bee in my bonnet about as a student of the history of ship design. As a point of knowledge, the Yamato had an identical sister-ship Musashi (both sunk) and were the largest battleships ever constructed; they were NOT the largest warships built, as erroneously stated in the Japanese film.
on 22 November 2013
Live action adaptations of animated classics tend to go quite badly wrong regardless of where the original source material was created (I'm looking at you Aeon Flux) When then an Anime has a plethora of fans in the east and the west, albeit under different titles the challenge is even greater. Yamato succeeds, it's an exciting and beautiful tribute to a great anime. The battle sequences are full of light and colour and the effects designers have really gone to town to make sure the minute details are there. I give it four stars not for a lack of quality but because it suffers from the same syndrome any film does when it attempts to boil down a 25+ episode series into two hours, lack of character development, "I've just met you, now I hate you, I love you now lets settle down." That aside the meat of the story is well told and hangs together nicely, the subtitles are good if sometimes a little wooden and the music is top notch. All in all a good film.
on 17 May 2016
Total fun and nonsense...if carefully thought out plots and plausibility of even the slimmest variety are your bag, then avoid this...if however you like unbridled use of special effects not really caring if it's silly or not then do not hesitate...
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 June 2015
Saw this in Japan on release over there and thought it was absolutely stunning. The Japanese audience were glued to the screen as the Yamato made her way towards the planet Iscandar... this was their Star Trek, and the live action film felt just like the anime.
The effaects are beautiful, and the melancholy reworking of the theme tune fits the concept much more than the funky '70s original ever did.

I know that some American reviewers were annoyed because it was an all-Japanese cast and used the Japanese names... they seemed to forget that "Uchuu Senkan Yamato" was around before it became "Star Blazers".

Anyway, the Manga DVD is a great transfer with easy to read subtitles and good sound.
on 3 August 2016
The action sequences are good, but the acting between these scenes is dreadful. There are long drawn out scenes of meaningful looks and scowls that seem to go on for ages. Very much a Far East Star Trek feel.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 November 2013
I rented this movie(thank God I did not buy it)at at the recommendation of someone at avideo shop who knew I am a sci-fi fan.

I vowed that this is the last time I would watch a film without having first read the reviews written by some serious professional,or by a fellow viewer whose judgment I respect.A valuable lesson,indeed.

The film is not really bad,or annoying.Worse than that,it is incredibly boring.The childish plot,the juvenile acting and the adolescent direction(...which is sad coming from Akira Kuroshawa and Nagisha Oshima's country...)the whole works,even the second rate special effects, can put you to sleep.Easily.At least if you are not six years old..).There is not one single reason I can think of that would make me recommend this film to anybody.

Stay away.I am certain that anyone can find something better to do with his time-and money.