on 15 March 2017
Great cd.
on 20 June 2017
on 27 August 2015
This CD is my favourite release of recent times. It has everything I think an album needs. Great musicians. Great songs. Its a really well produced album. I feel that this album is a match for Songs For The Deaf.
Its greatest strength for me is the use of light and shade and the song writing. For my musical taste I don't want to be pounded constantly although my musical tastes are mainly taken from the rock genre, so its refreshing when a band knows how to use the music to move the listener into different places emotionally.
As I said the songwriting is for me exceptional on Like Clockwork and at times when I have listened to the music I have felt that the the QOTSA have bared their souls, if that makes sense.
Hope this review helps you decide to buy this bunch of songs.
I only wish more music felt this natural and unfettered by external control.
on 24 May 2014
Again another surprise album. QOSTA are another band among others I would happily see live as an under-card as their solid back catalogue lacks any sort of greatness. Here though, we have an album that only gets better as it goes on.
on 12 July 2015
Christmas prezzie for family member.. hope they liked it they had been to see them perfore at one of those festival in the uk
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 March 2014
I bought this album with a sense of apprehension - but need not have worried.

A lot of thought clearly went into the making of this album - the songs are intelligently written and there a few nice surprises - it all hangs together well.

It is fair to say that this is not their strongest album, but it is still very good nevertheless. It may take a few plays to get into it, but it is worth persevering.
on 17 June 2013
I have never written a review on Amazon (or anywhere else for that matter) but I feel compelled to write on for QOTSA's latest offering as I cannot believe it is not averaging 5 stars, nor do I find it a fair reflection reading other reviews comparing ...Like Clockwork to previous QOTSA efforts (or even TCV).

Before I start on ...Like Clockwork, an album review should be judged on what is played out in front of you, not based on the band's previous albums. I whole heartedly agree that both Rated R and Songs for the Deaf were truly remarkable albums, deserving of 5 stars, yet I have rated other albums 5 stars that are only half as good as ...Like Clockwork. People are saying they are disappointed there is none of the 'in your face' songs that was more evident on the two aforementioned albums, but this was only provided when Oliveri was on board and had more influence on the output. QOTSA certainly have progressed, matured even, from their early albums and fans of those albums shouldn't expect a repeat of "Rated R" or "Songs For The Deaf", these days are gone now. "Rated R", "Songs for the Deaf" are immense albums and always will be held in high esteem as they should be, but if Josh & co were to merely repeat them, their strength as albums would be diluted (and those who accuse QOTSA of sounding the same would actually then have a vaild point).

I have been a QOTSA fan since the beginning and Kyuss before them. I find each of the QOTSA albums different, which for me is great. I admit LTP and EV had some below par stuff, but, to me, were still pretty decent albums. ...Like Clockwork is nothing short of a masterpiece, there is no filler on here. Once I streamed the album, I was instantly hooked. Each track is full of it's own brilliance and I'm finding myself not skipping any track. There are stand outs, but each to our own as to what they are, but for the record mine are "If I had a Tail", I can't stop my head bopping up and down in time with the beat and feeling the swagger I associate with QOTSA, "I Sat By the Ocean" and the magnificent, yet sombre, "I Appear Missing" - a pure odyssey. "Smooth Sailing" is also a great track that would not be out of place on TCV's album (which for me another good album despite the rumblings on some of the revies here. sure it's no brilliant but there are some great tracks). There may not be the aforementioned rough, in your face punching songs but what is on here is dark, gloomy and captivating songs that almost absorb you into their unique aura and at times, character. Some of these rock and have several layers that are all intricately pieced together while others are more stripped back to just Josh's supreme vocals with a piano. Each track takes me on a journey, with Josh telling a story - albeit not very happy ones but most definately emotional and intense. ...Like Clockwork is another piece of evidence of his strong song & lyric writing skills.

...Like Clockwork is a solid album full of beautifully crafted and instantly grabbing melodies & lyrics, almost individual stories, that stay established your head. I read somewhere that the key to a successful album is a coherent yet eclectic mix of songs and ...Like Clockwork is certainly that to me.

As I said at start, I have never written a review before, nor am I by any means a writer (was average at best in English- all those years ago) but I hope I got my point across to you.
99 Comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2013
This is a brilliant album. I have listened to most of QOTSA albums and Josh Homme's other work (TCV)and never fail to be impressed by their work. Other reviewers have said that this one doesn't have the 'head-banger' appeal of older albums. I agree, but I think that they have moved on to a more mature product. I particularly like the title track and the falsetto singing which works well on that track. I listened to a live version of this track before I bought the album and really liked the intricate guitar work on the instrumental break. The album version, I felt, was slightly over-produced in comparison, but I still like it. Not a duff track and thoroughly recommended.
on 11 June 2013
I fear to make such a bold statement, but I believe ...Like Clockwork reaches and indeed surpasses the lofty heights of Songs For The Deaf. The two albums seem fairly incomparable but I'm making the comparison anyway because ...Like Clockwork deserves the same kind of extravagant praise.

This is Queens as a fresh, matured and reflective outfit. Homme calls on some past musicians for aid (Grohl, Nick) and some new musicians for interesting collaborations (Elton John, Trent Reznor, Alex Turner) to hone this cohesive mix of grooves and lamentations.

Those looking for stomping riffs ripping through the album may not be wholly satisfied for ...Like Clockwork is an album not of subtleties, but certainly more intricately arranged and designed than say, some of the frantic jams on SFTD or Rated R. However, those people can be compensated by the heaviness (in mood as well as tone) of 'I Appear Missing' which is possibly the most emotive and breath-taking track here. 'My God Is The Sun' offers that immediate rocker need for solid riffs whilst 'Smooth Sailing' and 'If I Had A Tail' offer a groovier, funkier twist akin to the grooves on Era Vulgaris. There's plenty for everyone, and the key to a successful album is a coherent yet eclectic mix of songs and ...Like Clockwork is exactly that.

...Like Clockwork has a better fluidity to it than Lullabies To Paralyze or Era Vulgaris. It can almost be viewed as a concept album for its lyrical content alone, but the excellent final mix of the album flows so incredibly well that it feels blasphemous to dip in and out of the album (just as well I'm buying the vinyl).

Newcomers, veterans, and general music lovers, do yourself a favour and pick up this extraordinary album. Queens always manage to keep it interesting, and this time they've toned down the experimentation from EV, opened up a little more from the claustrophobic LTP and created a work of art which has made me respect Josh Homme and co more than ever before. Introspective, deep, melancholy, and a wonderful record for the summer, ...Like Clockwork will surely be my Album Of The Year and for many after that.
on 22 July 2014
Not only do you get quality music, you get quality artwork inside and out.
The case is made of quality card, as are the inner sleeves, each with their own pieces of art depicting scenes from the awesome music videos.
The vinyl discs themselves don't seem to have any blemishes upon close inspection, and upon listening you get what you paid for, a well rounded and brilliant album.
Not however for the impatient, you can't stray from your record player for long due to the small amount of tracks per side (3 on each side for the first disc, and 2 per side for the second).

Mine did however have a dent on the back of the cover, but I suspect this happened during the long trip it had to take to get to me.

Anyway, a must-have for fans and music lovers.