Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

on 17 June 2013
I have never written a review on Amazon (or anywhere else for that matter) but I feel compelled to write on for QOTSA's latest offering as I cannot believe it is not averaging 5 stars, nor do I find it a fair reflection reading other reviews comparing ...Like Clockwork to previous QOTSA efforts (or even TCV).

Before I start on ...Like Clockwork, an album review should be judged on what is played out in front of you, not based on the band's previous albums. I whole heartedly agree that both Rated R and Songs for the Deaf were truly remarkable albums, deserving of 5 stars, yet I have rated other albums 5 stars that are only half as good as ...Like Clockwork. People are saying they are disappointed there is none of the 'in your face' songs that was more evident on the two aforementioned albums, but this was only provided when Oliveri was on board and had more influence on the output. QOTSA certainly have progressed, matured even, from their early albums and fans of those albums shouldn't expect a repeat of "Rated R" or "Songs For The Deaf", these days are gone now. "Rated R", "Songs for the Deaf" are immense albums and always will be held in high esteem as they should be, but if Josh & co were to merely repeat them, their strength as albums would be diluted (and those who accuse QOTSA of sounding the same would actually then have a vaild point).

I have been a QOTSA fan since the beginning and Kyuss before them. I find each of the QOTSA albums different, which for me is great. I admit LTP and EV had some below par stuff, but, to me, were still pretty decent albums. ...Like Clockwork is nothing short of a masterpiece, there is no filler on here. Once I streamed the album, I was instantly hooked. Each track is full of it's own brilliance and I'm finding myself not skipping any track. There are stand outs, but each to our own as to what they are, but for the record mine are "If I had a Tail", I can't stop my head bopping up and down in time with the beat and feeling the swagger I associate with QOTSA, "I Sat By the Ocean" and the magnificent, yet sombre, "I Appear Missing" - a pure odyssey. "Smooth Sailing" is also a great track that would not be out of place on TCV's album (which for me another good album despite the rumblings on some of the revies here. sure it's no brilliant but there are some great tracks). There may not be the aforementioned rough, in your face punching songs but what is on here is dark, gloomy and captivating songs that almost absorb you into their unique aura and at times, character. Some of these rock and have several layers that are all intricately pieced together while others are more stripped back to just Josh's supreme vocals with a piano. Each track takes me on a journey, with Josh telling a story - albeit not very happy ones but most definately emotional and intense. ...Like Clockwork is another piece of evidence of his strong song & lyric writing skills.

...Like Clockwork is a solid album full of beautifully crafted and instantly grabbing melodies & lyrics, almost individual stories, that stay established your head. I read somewhere that the key to a successful album is a coherent yet eclectic mix of songs and ...Like Clockwork is certainly that to me.

As I said at start, I have never written a review before, nor am I by any means a writer (was average at best in English- all those years ago) but I hope I got my point across to you.
99 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2013
I fear to make such a bold statement, but I believe ...Like Clockwork reaches and indeed surpasses the lofty heights of Songs For The Deaf. The two albums seem fairly incomparable but I'm making the comparison anyway because ...Like Clockwork deserves the same kind of extravagant praise.

This is Queens as a fresh, matured and reflective outfit. Homme calls on some past musicians for aid (Grohl, Nick) and some new musicians for interesting collaborations (Elton John, Trent Reznor, Alex Turner) to hone this cohesive mix of grooves and lamentations.

Those looking for stomping riffs ripping through the album may not be wholly satisfied for ...Like Clockwork is an album not of subtleties, but certainly more intricately arranged and designed than say, some of the frantic jams on SFTD or Rated R. However, those people can be compensated by the heaviness (in mood as well as tone) of 'I Appear Missing' which is possibly the most emotive and breath-taking track here. 'My God Is The Sun' offers that immediate rocker need for solid riffs whilst 'Smooth Sailing' and 'If I Had A Tail' offer a groovier, funkier twist akin to the grooves on Era Vulgaris. There's plenty for everyone, and the key to a successful album is a coherent yet eclectic mix of songs and ...Like Clockwork is exactly that.

...Like Clockwork has a better fluidity to it than Lullabies To Paralyze or Era Vulgaris. It can almost be viewed as a concept album for its lyrical content alone, but the excellent final mix of the album flows so incredibly well that it feels blasphemous to dip in and out of the album (just as well I'm buying the vinyl).

Newcomers, veterans, and general music lovers, do yourself a favour and pick up this extraordinary album. Queens always manage to keep it interesting, and this time they've toned down the experimentation from EV, opened up a little more from the claustrophobic LTP and created a work of art which has made me respect Josh Homme and co more than ever before. Introspective, deep, melancholy, and a wonderful record for the summer, ...Like Clockwork will surely be my Album Of The Year and for many after that.
on 18 May 2016
I haven't listened to any of the other QOTSA albums before this, but this has made me a fan.

Good things:
+ Excellent, consistent song writing
+ Songs have a consistent feel to them, making it more than a collection of songs
+ Despite the above, there is enough variety to keep the listener interested, ranging
from wistful ballads ("Vampyre of Time and Memory") to swaggering funk grooves
("Smooth Sailing")
+ Decent guest spots such as Dave Grohl, Alex Turner and Elton John
+ Memorable from the first listen (it passes the old grey whistle test)
+ Dark, haunting production

Bad things:
- Bizarre choice of opening number, and underwhelming closer
- Some songs drag on, namely "Fairweather Friends" and "Keep Your Eyes Peeled"
- The CD does not have a leaflet, I might as well have bought the MP3 version.
Seriously, CD versions need a leaflet to pore through

Favourite songs: "Smooth Sailing", "Vampyre of Time and Memory", "My God is the Sun"
All in all, a solid album. Would highly recommend if you like rock in any shape or form.
8.5 / 10
on 3 June 2013
There aren't many bands these days that get the opportunity to grow from their seeds to something far greater, and few of the bands that get the chance either know how to, or take, the opportunity.

This record is the sound of a band grabbing that opportunity by the throat and squeezing the bejezus out of it.

True, there's only a little left of the maniac drive that Nick Oliveri brought to QotSA - there's nothing as full-on as anything on Rated R or Songs For The Deaf - and if you're expecting that kind of record you're going to be disappointed. Even though the arrangements are crushing in places with sounds layered on sounds until there's no more room left, there's much more space on this album than anything they've recorded before. Instrumentation is stripped right back (for a while) to let each song breathe and even though piano / vocal doesn't sound very rock, when the arrangement takes hold and things spiral to their final, downbeat, conclusion there's still a feeling of breadth.

And that's exactly what make this record great - space. Any old fool can add 100 instruments together, but it takes real quality to give those instruments room to move and tell a story. God knows what story Josh Homme's telling - it certainly doesn't sound like a happy story that's for sure - but he tells it all with the touch of a master storyteller.

Maybe it's all downhill from here, but it's a hell of high to come down from.
on 21 December 2013
Ah well, I've had varying amounts of love and/or admiration for everything QOTSA have done, down the years, but for some reason failed to get too excited about this release. Um, then life went a bit wrong, and this album was a bedrock, and it kind of pulled me through. Strange as it may seem, it inspired some kind of positive response that stopped me wallowing in self-pity. The coda to I Appear Missing, in particular, moves me beyond reason.I couldn't add anything more to the reviews that have, to me, already illustrated the vulnerability, and strength, of this release. So I'll shut me gob. This is a band to be treasured.
on 11 June 2013
Let's get to the point shall we. We all know that when Josh Homme finally pops his clogs, he'll be remembered as an outright genius from the highest stratospheres of rock. But it doesn't mean that everything has gone his way and the form of Qosta has fluctuated since Songs for the Deaf & the departure of Nick Oliveri.

Whilst 'Like Clockwork' doesn't deliver the breadth of style that we saw back in the days of R-Rated, what it does drop in to your earholes is the harmonic equivalent of dynamite.

There are more hooks in this album than in the final scene of Hellraiser and it's probably the first album I've listened to in years where I can't decide which is my favourite track. 'I Sat by the Ocean' - 'If I Had a Tale' - 'My God is the Sun' are the obvious killer tunes. Each of them packed with brain spanking riffs. The remainder of the songs all have their haunting virtues but 'I Appear Missing' is a work of art that delivers in anthemic proportions.

My stereo will be put to good use this summer. Make sure yours is too.

NB - 'My God is the Sun' is a musical tribute to Judith Chalmers.

Those are the facts.
on 13 November 2013
This is a brilliant album. I have listened to most of QOTSA albums and Josh Homme's other work (TCV)and never fail to be impressed by their work. Other reviewers have said that this one doesn't have the 'head-banger' appeal of older albums. I agree, but I think that they have moved on to a more mature product. I particularly like the title track and the falsetto singing which works well on that track. I listened to a live version of this track before I bought the album and really liked the intricate guitar work on the instrumental break. The album version, I felt, was slightly over-produced in comparison, but I still like it. Not a duff track and thoroughly recommended.
on 24 June 2013
I don't buy too many CDs these days, but opted to give this a go as I heard many good things about it. I am also a big fan of early QOTSA stuff (as well as Kyuss), my favourites being the self-titled debut, Rated R and Songs for the Deaf. I heard this was a return to form, as some of the more recent stuff has been hit & miss.

I've listened to it several times now, and I think despite all the hype, it's not quite the QOTSA of old. There are several slower numbers on the album which, despite decent song-writing, don't quite do it for me. And with only ten tracks on the album, it doesn't leave too much for you to turn the volume up and headbang to (e.g. track 4 songs for deaf).

My conclusion: There are some good tracks, but if you're looking for the heady drug-fuelled buzz of the early days, it isn't here. It beats Lullabies, and Era V., but just don't expect it to blow you away.
on 22 July 2014
Not only do you get quality music, you get quality artwork inside and out.
The case is made of quality card, as are the inner sleeves, each with their own pieces of art depicting scenes from the awesome music videos.
The vinyl discs themselves don't seem to have any blemishes upon close inspection, and upon listening you get what you paid for, a well rounded and brilliant album.
Not however for the impatient, you can't stray from your record player for long due to the small amount of tracks per side (3 on each side for the first disc, and 2 per side for the second).

Mine did however have a dent on the back of the cover, but I suspect this happened during the long trip it had to take to get to me.

Anyway, a must-have for fans and music lovers.
on 23 June 2013
This in my humble opinion is QOTSA's finest hour. More downbeat than previous works, and fairly succint at about 45 minutes, but for once brevity is a good thing. No flab or filler here, just 10 beautifully crafted songs, which I believe is a first for a QOTSA album - even SFTD had a couple of clunkers in my opinion. I Appear Missing is an instant classic, but there are many fine moments here, from the slow paced opener Keep Your Eyes Peeled, through the catchy I Sat By The Ocean, the rock opera (almost) of Fairweather Friends, to the restrained closing title track. Much has been made of the plethora of guest stars but in truth only Jake Shears and Trent Reznor contribute anything of real note though you can also just about hear Elton John tinkling the ivories on Fairweather too. But as was hinted these contributions are more a minor contribution to the tracks that they inhabit rather than show-stoppers. If you're undecided about buying this, don't hesitate a second longer. It's going to take something amazing to top this album this year.