on 9 October 2017
Wonderful playing
on 27 August 2013
This partnership is nothing less than outstanding. Lucy and I have been lucky enough to hear them in concert twice, once playing some of the Schubert on this CD at The Barber Institute in Birmingham, and more recently at Machynlleth playing Beethoven sonatas, and I would urge you to see them live if you possibly can. We have also heard Alina play in various venues and in various combos in the UK and it is always hugely enjoyable. What comes across is that they both love the music, love playing the music and love playing the music for others to listen to, and that is all too rare.

About this double CD set. The first movement of the first sonata is given totally artlessly, and for many days the simple tune was going round and round in my head. The works become more complex on the second CD and, whilst maybe not Schubert's greatest, they are played with such searching commitment and innate musicianship that they also leave a huge impression. Record of the Year? Definitely maybe. Stars out of 5? Five hundred if that were possible.
9 people found this helpful
on 3 March 2016
Very good.
on 27 October 2013
The rising star. Or is she already established? Beautiful played, beautiful recording too. I give five stars, for her and Cedric!
on 16 August 2013
As always, a top quality pair of discs from the Hyperion stable. The first disc's music kept bringing the word 'simplicity' to my mind inasmuch as the musicians seem to be allowing the music to speak for itself. There are no self conscious musical 'tricks' being played such as sudden pianissimos in the middle of loud passages or stabbing fortissimos. This is art that conceals art.

The second disc is of later Schubert and reminds us this duos very successful foray into the Beethoven sonatas here they appeared more concerned about projecting their feelings about the music than their egos!

What more is there to say?

If you like the music, buy it!
10 people found this helpful
on 3 October 2014
A very pleasing album of Schuberts violin and piano music. I am really enjoying it and I know I will continue to do so.
on 13 September 2013
This is not the most eloquent or emotional Schubert. Still as a collection it is worth having. I didn't have a recording and this is as good as any other.
on 4 October 2013
This is the best Schubert recording I have heard for a long time and is just right for the car
on 22 November 2013
I am no music expert and admittedly I suffer from age-related mild high frequency hearing loss in both ears but for me the sound of the piano almost drowns out the violin in the Fantasy.