Style: GO 400 EU - 4.2 inch|Change
Price:£192.57

on 13 October 2014
No instructions included but on contact with company very helpful. Also able to use the help facility on the TomTom.
on 13 August 2013
Although it is good -it CANNOT connect to a PC or Mac to download updates etc...
I am not the only one complaining and cannot speak to Tom Tom for advice

Buy another product.
44 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style: GO 600 EU - 6 inch|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Several years ago, I had a very unpleasant experience with one of TomTom's early Go Live satnav devices, which I owned for about 2 hours before sending it back due to the extremely buggy nature of its software. So I was not expecting great things from the Go 600, but I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised.

First impressions are good - the device itself feels solid and well-built; the touch screen is clear and responsive, and the mounting bracket is sturdy and easy to attach to both the windscreen and the device. The instructions provided are a single sheet of pictures, but the device itself shows a nice introduction animation the first time it is turned on, which shows you the main features.

What TomTom have done here is to simplify the satnav to pretty much its bare bones; I am used to Garmin devices, and they offer options and customisation galore. TomTom (wisely, given my previous experience with their software) have thrown out all but the bare essentials - you can select a route and drive it; you can download traffic and camera data from your phone - that's it. There isn't even a screen showing you how good the signal is; if the pointer on the map is blue, you've got satellites; if it is grey, you haven't.

Entering a destination is easy enough - it takes UK postcodes (but not house numbers - a strange omission which makes long roads a bit of a lottery - it directed me to the wrong end of the estate where I live as a result.) Verbal and onscreen directions are clear and easy to see, and the display is nicely uncluttered, with a choice of 2D map or 3D road layout. In big cities, 3D buildings are shown on the 3D view.

Accessing traffic and cameras involves sharing the connection on a smartphone - you are led through the connection process by a couple of screens, and it all works easily. The device includes lifetime traffic (and lifetime map updates), but speed camera data is extra; a 90-day trial for the camera service is included. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to connect my iPhone 5 to both the TomTom and the phone kit in my car simultaneously, but it all works fine. Traffic is drawn on the map, and you can tap the hold-up icons to show more details.

Even connecting to the PC to update the maps is straightforward - enter web address, download and install software and connect with the supplied cable. One niggle - it only seemed to work when connected directly to a USB port on my PC - connecting via a USB hub didn't work.

My only real problem with the TomTom is that, for what you pay, you are getting a very bare-bones device. Yes, it's nicely built and simple to use, but a lot of functionality that an experienced user may want is missing. No satellite data, no ability to search traffic, no house number lookup. For a connected device, there are no features other than the basic traffic and cameras - my Garmin has Google Local search, petrol prices etc. In order to make a simple, reliable device, TomTom seem to have thrown out a lot of useful functionality.

If you're happy with both the price and the small feature set, it's a nice device, but it seems to me that value for money on it isn't great compared to the competition as a result.
44 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2013
Great sat nav does a good job and the screen is nice and smooth. Good job from tomtom here. A+++++++++
on 20 April 2014
works as described, good for value, takes time to set the programme up for the tom tom on the computer
on 12 September 2014
Works great especially with the lifetime updates. No need to ever replace. Great battery life as well
on 25 July 2014
Tom Tom is much better than my built in Sat Nav, just wish they had lifetime speed cameras included.
on 7 December 2014
Ok, first off you have to connect your newly bought tomtom go 500 to your computer to update it. Then reset the device by finding the reset in the menu. Now your daytime maps will be in colour. You have the option, a little icon, bottom right of screen to switch between day and night mode. Existing tomtom users will have to get used to the new menu system, and I personally think the route your following is not as clear as the old tomtom displayed. However if you link your mobile phone to the device, it updates the traffic info and gives you the best route. It's saves you time, money, your not wasting petrol sitting in traffic, and it takes the stress out of sitting in traffic, stop, start etc. I have a couple of different routes which I can get to work, and I always switch the sat navigation on now, so that I don't turn up at the motorway junction and see a queue of traffic.
on 21 August 2013
I've just decided to upgrade from the TomTom Go Live 550. And to say there are rather a few mixed reviews, this is one smart satnav. Ok, some features have been removed, but not ones of any great importance imoa. This satnav is totally different altogether, from my old 550. When I opened the box, I actually thought I'd purchased a tablet. It looks nice, quite big with the 6" screen, very slimline, and has a nice looking finish to it. The user interface is really simple to use, aswell as pc connection for upgrades etc. The 600 is very accurate, and I love the idea of being able to store new locations, and then naming them, just from a simple touch of the screen with your finger. For the price, being a full time HGV Driver, I can't honestly see any reason for anyone to complain.
on 22 December 2013
A definite improvement on my old Tom Tom XL. The.main reason I upgraded was to get live traffic updates. In the small print on the box, it does say "via smart phone connection to the internet". That's the first problem. You will need 3G or 4g coverage and a reasonably priced data package. Then you will have to hope that any traffic jams do not occur in a 3G/4G black spot. But most annoyingly (shame on Tom Tom), the device WILL NOT TETHER TO A BLACKBERRY. only the Z10 is supported. This information is not shown on the packaging or in-device support menu. I spent hours trying to connect my BB 9900 and eventually found the above information on the Tom Tom support website. My advice? Save your money and buy a cheaper model, if you are a Blackberry user.