Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 19 February 2017
CONTENT:

“This Is All I Ask” by Tony Bennett, originally released on album by Columbia Records in 1963 and now finally released on CD in 2012, is a single CD with 12 songs. I have compiled a detailed song listing (including album and single label, chart position and number and release date)(BB200=Billboard Album Chart; BB Pop=Billboard Hot 100):

LP “THIS IS ALL I ASK” (Columbia CL 2056/CS 8856)(BB200 24/1963):
01 KEEP SMILING AT TROUBLE (TROUBLE’S A BUBBLE)(Columbia 44154)(b-side to “Days of Love”, May 1967)
02 AUTUMN IN ROME
03 TRUE BLUE LOU (Columbia 42820)(b-side to “This Is All I Ask”, BB Pop 99/June 1963)*rare gem; CD debut
04 THE WAY THAT I FEEL
05 THIS IS ALL I ASK (Columbia 42820)(a-side, BB Pop 70/June 1963)
06 THE MOMENT OF TRUTH (Columbia 42931)(b-side to “The Little Boy", BB Pop 127/November 1963)
07 GOT HER OFF MY HANDS (BUT CAN’T GET HER OFF MY MIND)
08 SANDY’S SMILE
09 LONG ABOUT NOW
10 YOUNG AND FOOLISH*from Broadway musical “Plain and Fancy”
11 TRICKS*featuring Chico Hamilton on drums
12 ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TRACKS*from Broadway musical “Little Me”

POSITIVE POINTS:

1 This follow-up to “I Wanna Be Around” was finally released on CD in 2012, making its CD debut. The title song “This Is All I Ask”, composed by Gordon Jenkins, charted at #70 on Billboard Hot 100, while its b-side “True Blue Lou” was a rare gem, making its CD debut. “The Moment of Truth” was also a charted double b-side in 1963. Besides the usual reliable Ralph Sharon Trio, Chico Hamilton was featured on drums in “Tricks.”
2 The sound is wonderfully remastered. Apparently, a new remaster was performed in 2011. Simply a great job! By the way, this great sound apparently applies to all his CD releases in 2012/2013.
3 Although the booklet is only 4 pages, it contains the original front and back album covers, each occupying an entire page.

NEGATIVE POINT:

1 There are no bonus tracks.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Personally, I am in the process of getting every Tony Bennett album on CD. Out of 74+ domestic albums released so far, I am still missing “The Good Things in Life” and “Listen Easy” (both Verve/MGM) plus “Make Magnificent Music” (Tony Bennett with the McPartlands & Friends on Improv). In retrospect, I did save some money not buying the ultra-expensive “Complete Collection”, although I still longed for the 3 CDs of non-album singles in that set. The same applies to the expensive “Complete Improv Recordings” box set containing rare non-album singles to complete my Complete Singles Collection on Tony Bennett plus the album “Make Magnificent Music” as stated above.

“This Is All I Ask” is Tony’s 21st domestic album release. The entire set is thoroughly enjoyable with great sound, and is a welcome addition to my Tony Bennett album library.
on 18 February 2013
I had this on vinyl some years ago. Happily I've now found it on MP3. Some unusual songs beautifully arranged and sung. In my opinion one of Tony Bennet's best.
on 4 August 2015
Sensational album from one of the world's greatest singers!