on 11 February 2015
This is a small ebook novella written by Luke Smitherd. If you are looking for something to read and you are really short on time then give this a try. The book circles around table 10 in a small cafe. A cafe in which a young waitress called Lisa tends tables. Almost time for a break she is pursuaded to look after one more table before she goes on her break. Unfortunately for Lisa that table is occupied by a very strange acting old man with the most shocking blue eyes. That man also has the most amazing and diabolical story to tell Lisa, a story left untold for half a century. Luckily for Lisa, she isn't buying a word of it, or is she?
on 28 March 2015
I loved the book. My only criticism is that it felt unfinished again as in The Stone Man. I want to know what happens to the guy on Table Ten in the end and the waitress. Yes I know I could use my imagination and that of what was implied but I like tidy endings and this doesn't really have one. Still love the book though.
on 12 March 2017
I was recommended this book by a colleague whose enthusiasm about the author was enough for me to buy a copy. I was gripped from the start and enjoyed the story. I was intrigued to find out how it would end and wasn't disappointed. For me there were a couple of jarring moments that spoilt the flow ("rich as creosote" for example) but, hey, that's probably just me. It is a good and enjoyable read.
on 21 June 2017
A wonderful read - a super storyline with a terrific plot and great characters. Written with great assurance and aplomb. Highly recommended.
*** 5 ***
on 4 April 2017
Yet another example of the excellent writing of Luke Smitherd.A novella that makes you wonder then believe.You won't be disappointed,read it and draw your own conclusion.
on 6 May 2014
Luke Smitherd is a master of the unexpected. He builds up the suspense and characters with great panache. Love his take on life, the universe and the afterlife. I can thoroughly recommend his books!!!!
on 28 November 2015
I was looking for something new to read and stumbled upon Luke. I enjoyed this book and am now working my way through the Black Room series.
on 31 May 2013
What can I say about Luke that I haven't already said - the man is a genius , he should be published and on sale in every book shop in the UK because his talent for writing the unusual and the unexpected is unrivalled by any other modern Science Fiction author .
What a find he has been to me, what a joy he has proved to be - I wont give you spoilers , its not my way - this book isn't expensive , none of his books on Kindle are but he deserves to be read by all the Frank Herbert/James Herbert / Stephen King fans because one day in the not too distant future, his books WILL be discovered by some Hollywood scriptwriter and they will hit the big screen - if they aren't then clearly there IS no justice in this world ! Keep on Luke - the merry band of The Smithereens is growing , and so it should !
PS The Physics of the Dead remains my favourite LS book - soooo very clever !
on 12 April 2015
This is a short story, not a book and is rather expensive for what it is. to create a book you would have to lump about 10 stories of this length together. I feel a little cheated because this means that a full electronic book of tales of this length would cost £19.90 which is more than I have ever paid for a Hardback never mind a paperback. It is a good read but expensive and there is no way to see how long it is before buying as an ePublication.Having said that it is a very good well crafted story told from one person's viewpoint. Very thoughtful and good perspective with an unusual plot. I have said before that this Author reminds me of John Wyndham with a plot that could have been developed by Stephen King or Dean Koontz.
on 20 July 2013
I struggled with this book a little, it does not flow as well as the other books by this author, ( sorry Luke ) but the ending is good and makes you think . My only question is, why does the old man give a damn about what happens to the world after he dies ? I don`t think I would care if I were in his position....