Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 September 2013
For me this is Tarja's strongest studio album yet, a great blend of the best of the heaviness of WLB with the wider instrumental range of My Winter Storm. Plus for a studio album the production also has a great "live" tone and vibe ,which is maybe why every track has an impact first time , rather than being one of those albums you "need a few plays to get into".....so roll on a future ACT 2"DVD!!

Just one slight let-down: -On "Act 1" Tarja introduced "Into The Sun" as being "from my next album". That of course was well over a year ago, so maybe the concept for the album has simply evolved and moved on since, anyhow this powerful track has not made it onto the CD at all-even though there was enough disc time left to just tag it on as a bonus track at the end, if so preferred. Nor can I find the "download code" apparently included instead, so we can get it as MP3 ....guess I can wait a bit to see if any "Sun" appears later for me in Amazon's "Cloud"!

Versions -

Amazon tell me I bought the "Deluxe "edition, what they posted me had a "Special Ltd Edition" sticker, my guess is these are in fact one and the same!

If tempted by the extra goodies in the Box Set, just bear in mind on Amazon the T Shirt has had to be a "one size (L) fits all" approach -and be aware there is a VERY long comments thread on this on Amazon USA!!
on 11 September 2013
Tarja gives us top quality yet again. Great voice, great songs (the single is probably my least favourite), great musicianship and production. Diificult to find anything negative (because there isn't anything!)
on 26 September 2013
I was looking forward to the release of this new album as I'd loved the previous two albums, so I pre-ordered it feeling confident that it would be just as good. On first listening to it I was pretty surprised, as to my ears , it was quite different to the others. At first I was quite disappointed, but on listening to it a few more times, I've grown to like it a lot more. Though still not as much as previous albums. My favourite tracks from this album have to be Deliverance & Mystique Voyage. The rest are good, but not WoW.
on 23 October 2013
Tarja’s third studio album in the field of rock music surely lives up to its predecessors “My Winter Storm” as well as “What Lies Beneath”. A new set of great rock songs is on the offer, interspersed here and there by softer songs, in absolute consistency with her solo recording history. And all of them backed by that portentous asset she possesses; her wonderful voice!

On the new tracks, I pick out the hit single “Victim of Ritual”, “500 Letters” and “Darkness” as my favourites.

In “Never Enough”, unveiled in the “Act 1” double album, is she addressing the 2005 “Nightwish split”? Either way, from the very onset of her solo career, we were, no doubt, in presence of talent which “Colours In The Dark” simply substantiates.

Mandatory if you’re a fan!

For the Finnish Queen and her latest album, 5 stars!
on 21 September 2014
There's a richness to the material and production here that may require a few listens for it to sink in. But I have come to feel that this is at least the equal of Tarja's excellent previous offerings. The songs are generally somewhat brighter in nature than before, even colourful (hence the appropriate titel), accompanied by at times almost psychedelic (anybody remember that word?) soundscapes. Make no mistake, the Queen of Metal hangs on to her throne and even expands her territory. Awesome.
on 4 September 2013
Colours in the Dark, Where there is Darkness, Tarja Turunen is the Light!
Another Amazing release from the Extraordinary Soprano, and Metal Queen!
All the tracks fantastic, all killer no filler.
My Winter Storm, What Lies Beneath were Awesome and now this.
OK Tarja, looks like you rule!
on 14 November 2013
I found this new Tarja offering a little harder to get into than the previous two albums however after a few listens I have to conclude this one takes the best parts of the previous ones and adds to them giving a fuller and more approachable feel.
One of my favourite albums of 2013.
on 5 December 2013
This CD is absolutely amazing i love all of the songs. I have already got tickets to see her at rock city, nottingham, UK in February. I had to get this CD because into the sun is one of my favorite songs. THIS IS A MUST HAVE CD!
on 21 January 2014
It is a cliche to say Tarja is good but obviously not as good as Nightwish. "Colours in the Dark" is her most adventurous and diverse album to date, even featuring the musical equivalent of a dream sequence at one point (in "Lucid Dreamer"). Opener "Victim of Ritual" is one of numerous stunning tracks that Tarja has now written.

Overall, this is a relatively upbeat album (which alone differentiates it from a Nightwish album!) There is very little not worth listening to amongst her (mostly lengthy) ten tracks. For those who are happy for music to be "over the top".
on 22 May 2014
This is the best album from Tarja so far, but the lyrical side is quite weak. For example, when I heard the Victim of ritual for the first time, I was blown away. But when I read the lyrics, it was a major letdown. The lyrics were bland and empty, though the music and production was epic. But even the music wears out after awhile.

Musically this album is very good, but lyrically it's poor and nowhere close to Tuomas' work.

There's also a hidden bonus mp3 track that you have to discover and download when you buy this album. It's actually a very good track (better than most of the album!) but, damn it Tarja - the song was saved as a 128k mp3 file! We're not in 1998 anymore. It's like shooting with a 7000$ camera and then saving the image to a low-res phone quality JPG file.