Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 17 November 2013
I read (and enjoyed), Burton's diaries and Melvyn Bragg's biography earlier this year. So I bought the DVD thinking it would give me more details. How wrong I was.
This film is simply the story of how these two famous people rehearsed for and played in their last production together.
The two main actors were less than credible. I kept thinking of how Meryl Streep actually became Maggie Thatcher when she played that role... not so with the interpretations of either of these lead players.

Having bought the DVD, I looked forward to watching it and settled down with a glass of wine in front of a cosy fire. Imagine how disappointed I was.
on 20 October 2013
I really enjoyed this, it was enjoyable and entertaining without taking itself to seriously which I think can sometimes happen in biopics, however it does still deal with some serious things like Richards drinking problem and Taylors dependency on pills but it does this without beating you round the head with it. My one complaint though would be that the actors don't look enough like the people they play to make you totally believe that is Burton and Taylor that you are seeing, although I think that Bonham carter did manage to get enough of Elizabeth Taylors fun and wit as well as some mannerisms in there to make it a strong performance that does resemble taylor just not in a physical way. I was very unconvinced by wests performance though but it didn't make this any less watchable.
on 23 June 2017
This is a difficult film to appreciate because Taylor and Burton were such remarkable and beautiful people that the casting is never going to do them justice. I felt that some of their characteristics were captured, however it is a mammoth task to recreate their charisma. This film is about a snippet of their lives, after their second divorce, with one extremely short affectionate scene which gives one a glimpse of their married life together. I watched to the end once, however I do not feel compelled to watch a second time.
on 8 July 2017
Helena Bonham Carter is just fabulous in this. For me, she has done a wonderful job of capturing Elizabeth Taylor's elusive charisma, beauty and her love for Burton.
on 20 July 2017
Not sure how I got to the end. Garbage!
on 4 February 2014
This TV film was a little underrated when it was first shown on the BBC but I think it's one of the best things they've ever done. Excellent performances from Helena Bonham Carter (playing glamour instead of grimy for a change) and Dominic West depicting another turbulent time in the lives of Burton and Taylor.
I'm not sure how historically accurate it is but does that really matter when everything about it is so brilliant.
on 12 February 2014
Never saw this on TV; so bought the DVD. I too wish they'd done a broader story about Burton and Taylor's relationship; BUT having said that, this was a very good examination of a short - and very important - period in their lives.
My only complaint: Helena Bonham Carter never came close to convincing me she was portraying Liz Taylor. I love HBC but in this role she was underwhelming. Lower expectations and enjoy.
on 18 August 2014
When I bought the film, I didn't realise it focussed on a short period in the lives of Burton and Taylor, where they were reunited at the instigation of Taylor to perform together in a run of Noel Coward's 'Private Lives' in New York. They rekindle some of the passion and fire they always had, but Taylor's hopes of a reconciliation were deluded, and the final blow is Burton's sudden marriage to his partner during a gap in performances. This is the final blow for Taylor, struggling with drug and alcohol addiction and broken-hearted. The two part on good terms with an understanding that they could never live together despite their strong feelings. The film trailers state that Taylor publicly announces she is entering the Betty Ford Clinic for treatment, and that Richard Burton died suddenly 9 months after the film was made and never managed to fulfil his dream to play the part of King Lear.
on 14 December 2013
This film depicts only an episode in the lives of Burton and Taylor and therefore gives no proper storymof their realmlives, triumphs and struggles. Just a little unsatisfactory window.
on 28 September 2013
Interesting and enjoyable to watch and close to events in reality as described in the various biographical books that have been published on the couple. Fine acting by the two principal actors who played the roles as Taylor and Burton in a most credible fashion. It is always sad and depressing to watch talented people destroy themselves through alcoholism and other substance abuse.