VINE VOICEon 8 July 2013
Colour: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The most important thing about a speaker is the sound, and this sounds just fine. There is plenty of bass through a cavity at the back but it doesn't swamp the higher-end sounds and it goes pretty loud. I don't think I ever needed to go to full volume on it. I tried a variety of music from thrash metal to electronic and reggae and it all sounded great.

I have never really got on with, or trusted Bluetooth, but found this easy enough to connect to via a mobile phone: just hold down the button on the top of the speaker for a couple of seconds and then select it from the phone. It was even easier from a Nexus 7 tablet because that has Near Field Communication (NFC) on it. With the talet I just had to touch it to the speaker and that did everything for me - turned Bluetooth on, paired with the speaker and started playing. Even more impressive, when I turned the speaker off it turned Bluetooth off on the tablet for me, saving me the trouble of tidying up afterwards.

With a portable speaker the battery life is a major consideration and I decided to test out the battery by fully charging the speaker and then leaving it on until it died to see if it got the 7 hours claimed in the manual and teh results really surprised me. After 7 hours the unit still claimed to be almost fully-charged. By the time the battery finally ran down I had listened to 28.5 hours of music. A lot of this was at night and so at low volume, but even so that is impressive, and the last 5 hours were certainly at a decent high volume. There is no warning that the battery level is getting low: the speaker just stops, but since it does that well beyond the 7-hour mark I can't really complain about that. There is no display at all, but you can find out the battery level by pressing the button on top twice and a female voice tells you how much juice you have, which I rather liked.

I wasn't too keen on the looks of the speaker when it came out of the box, but I've got used to it now and looks are subjective anyway.

I didn't try out the speaker out as a hands-free phone but have no reason to doubt that it works OK because everything else bout this exceeded my expectations.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 June 2013
Colour: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Creative Airwave HD Portable Wireless Speakers have stereo sound and was really easy to set up, especially if you have a NFC (Near Field Communication) enabled device to pair it to.

Unboxing: The speaker is nicely presented and comes ready to go (even has power in the battery although no doubt you're advised to charge it first).

Note: Wall outlet in unit supplied is not a usb /power supply as mentioned in manual. It was a 230V UK mains plug to micro USB. So for usb charging you will have to find your own micro usb cable, although they are fairly ubiquitous so it's not a major deal, this is just a deviation from the manual text. Of course, it's nice to have a full blown mains charger, since it's likely you'll want to charge from mains especially when out of the house. The charger I was sent also folds flat, so you don't have to carry a huge lump in you bag, the prongs come off and can store flat.

Initial setup: Creative have been coming up with some real innovations in the Bluetooth speaker / mini speaker area recently, but even this one surprised me. I simply switched the unit on, held my Samsung note 2 to the back of the speaker, and the NFC automatically paired the device. Totally automated. That meant I was playing music within seconds of unboxing. It can't get any simpler. Obviously to take advantage of this feature, your phone does need NFC. But, that's one of the main selling points of this speaker. Without NFC you'll have to use the conventional method of Bluetooth pairing which is a little more long winded but reliable and fairly simple.

Sound: Pretty standard for devices of this size/shape. One big selling feature is that due to the shape, it's actually stereo. If you place it in front of you, you do actually get a pretty good stereo image. Many Bluetooth speakers don't have stereo, and many do, but you can't really tell. The sound quality is on the bassy end of things, with little of the top-mids and almost no treble. It's not surprising due to the design and size, and certainly not a disappointment.

Volume: Depends on your phone obviously, but this thing does go loud enough for most circumstances, although it struggles and sounds very boxy at its loudest setting, although you're likely to be outdoors in order to need that much volume.

Ongoing use: Impressive reliability, for NFC mode at least. I found that I could turn the speaker off, and re-pair instantly later by touching the phone to the speaker. None of the usual "tangling" of Bluetooth that I have experienced in the past, where you have to turn on the devices in a certain order or re-pair every time. It's as simple as touch phone to speaker, and play. Every time. The range of the speaker from its paired device was also good and manage to get between a couple of rooms distance (10-12 metres) without the sound breaking up.

Summary: If you have NFC on your phone (eg. some recent Android phones) then this speaker is a real asset, especially if you don't like to mess about with technology. It just works every time, and I'd recommend you consider it. If you don't have NFC, then there isn't much of a distinctive selling point for this speaker, and you might want to consider others, unless you plan to upgrade to an NFC phone later.
VINE VOICEon 15 July 2013
Colour: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I can only echo what the other reviewers have said about this product, which is that it really does everything it promises!

The speaker looks good when you get it out of the box (not stunningly attractive but it's certainly not ugly) and it's really simple to set up. Pairing devices with it is not at all complicated - it's the work of seconds if you have NFC on your device, but even if you don't the classic Bluetooth, pairing is easy enough and you'll be up and running in less than a couple of minutes. You don't need to leave your phone/device next to the speaker as there's a decent range on it. Battery life on the speaker is very impressive too - the manual promises 7 hours but unless you're playing it right at the highest volume it seems to last longer.

The sound is fine, the bass is there but not overwhelming, and although there is distortion at the very highest range of the volume level, you're unlikely to need it up that loud most of the time. At a volume where the music still sounds good, the speaker would fill up an average-sized room without too much trouble. It doesn't have the power to sound really impressive outside in a large open space, but then you'd be expecting to need to pay a bit more for a speaker that does.

In conclusion I think this is a really convenient speaker both to have at home if you want to play music from different devices, and even more useful to travel with.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 June 2013
Colour: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a small speaker that delivers a very large sound it's only 260mm long and weights only 1kg, the sound it produces sounds like its a much bigger set up.

To hook up my ipod touch via Bluetooth took seconds, there is a button on the top of the speaker you depress for a few seconds and it goes in to search mode, a female voice informs you of what it is doing, it found the Ipod with ease. I also hooked up the PS Vita which was very straight forward, The PS Vita is brilliant on it, I down loaded Skyfall which sounds so much better via the Creative speaker.

Sound is brilliant, I've used Creative speakers on a number of PC's i have owned, they have always delivered on sound.

What I like about the Creative Airwave HD is how portable it is, I charged it via my USB on my MAC and I have had it playing on and off with no charge for a few days, I can pick it up, carry it to another room with out any need to disconnect cables etc. Brilliant!
I have even taken it out with me in my van, the van has a CD player but who carries 100's of CD's in a vehicle, Ipod has tons of music on and I can listen wirelessly in my Van via the creative.

I also have the older Ipod touch 1st generation which doesn't have Bluetooth, the Creative has a 3.5mm socket so you can connect via a cable (not included), although the sound was as good I got more volume from the bluetooth connection than via a cable, might just be the old Ipod touch.

I think it's a brilliant speaker, I don't think it's expensive for the features it offers, I'm very happy with it.
on 7 July 2014
This was initially really good and I was impressed with it. However, after merely 3 years of little use, it has stopped working. The light flashes which indicates the battery has gone but there's nothing you can do to rectify this.

Not happy - this wasn't a cheap piece of kit. My daughter is very disappointed as it was a present for her for passing her 11+ exam. Now it sits there not working and gathering dust.
review image
on 16 July 2013
Colour: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As manufacturers go, I think Creative make some of the best IT media kit (I still use a very old Creative Zen Touch player) and I was enthusiastic to see how their wireless Bluetooth speaker performed.

Out of the box all is good... the speaker itself looks like a fat bar of Toblerone with a couple of switches on top, with power (via mini-USB) and bass port at the back. You can connect via a 3.5mm stereo jack, Bluetooth or NFC. For this review I've only tested Bluetooth but I would expect NFC to be similar albeit with a slightly different range.

To use Bluetooth, you slide the Bluetooth slider on the Speaker and get your device (in my case an iPhone) to look for a device to pair with. Once the speaker is found you pair them and you're ready to go. On the iphone select your music, press Play and voila... music comes out of the speaker. I was rather impressed actually that the iphone then lets you change the output device to the iphone - I didn't know it could do that. There's a built-in microphone so I've also tested it via Skype on the iphone - quite useful actually if you find your phone a bit quiet.

Back to the music playing: range is excellent - I put the speaker upstairs at the front of my house and had a signal downstairs. Once I got to the garden the signal had gone though but I don't think that's too bad. Battery life is superb - 7 hours is quoted but I only got 4 1/2... maybe I was playing it too loud, not sure. No real complaints there though.

However, there are a couple of things I wasn't so pleased about... the sound is okay but for the price of this device I was a little disappointed. Unlike other reviewers I thought the device seriously lacks bass and borders on being a little tinny. It's certainly better than a mobile phone's speakers or a tablet perhaps, but it's not going to replace a music system. The other complaint is the lack of a cover - a simple zipped cover would have been useful and made this a portable protected device. It's ideal for taking on holidays etc and connecting to a tablet or PC for children to look at TV for a couple of hours peace but without the cover you have to come up with something of your own.

This had potential to be really good and given other Creative products I have, I must admit I am a little disappointed.
VINE VOICEon 22 June 2013
Colour: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I always have associated the name Creative with good quality tech. My first mp3 player was a Creative Zen Touch and whilst a brick compared to the new slimline players of today, it still works and sounds great!
The Creative Airwave arrived today in a brown Amazon box much too big for it so that when I opened it I was surprised to find a compact, stylish Creative package. Upon opening this, I found a nice, funky looking portable speaker which was so light I thought it would surely deliver tinny, unpleasant sound.
Within 5 minutes of opening the box, I was set up and ready to rock - and this is precisely what I did! The sound is wonderfully impressive and I have test driven the device with a good variety of genres - from rock to classical, from pop to jazz and virtually everything in between.
What makes the Creative Airwave all the more impressive is its versatility. Not only is it rechargeable and therefore supremely portable, it is also Bluetooth enabled and comes complete with Aux socket to connect to virtually anything. I have had it connected to a small, tinny hi-fi (noticeable sound improvement over speakers supplied with hi-fi) and to my old Creative Zen.
Mightily impressed by Creative yet again! If you want a rechargeable, portable speaker that won't let you down in the sound stakes then this is the ticket for you!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 August 2014
Colour: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The black Creative Airwave HD Portable Bluetooth Wireless NFC Speaker with Built-in Microphone and Aux-in - makes a good addition to my musical gadgets. I do not have a good car stereo, so this works a treat with my iPod and I can connect my phone to it, too. It is fairly big to be classed as portable, that said, it's sturdy and I feel its size helps with the volume of the sound, which can get pretty loud without distortion, unlike my broken speakers. It is also a good shape to take outdoors.

For all those music connoisseurs out there, this may not have enough base for your liking, but for me it does the job and I can't have anything too fancy or fiddly whilst driving. It's pretty much, tap and go. Once you have a couple of items connected by wif-fi (and this is very easy to set up) there's no need to keep constantly re-connecting them to each other, which is a problem I have had in the past with other similar products.

Comes with the leads you need to charge it up with too. Always a bonus. This speaker certainly has staying power and lasts a good 7 hours before it needs recharging again. Quite impressive.
on 4 December 2013
Ok, so i bought this on the black friday deals for £69 completely impulsively without even looking at the reviews(as i needed some portable/studio flat speakers) but i was pleasantly surprised . Just got it today in the post and it was so easy to connect with everything and easy to set up. I've now been using it all day testing volume and whether it can handle my type of music.
It's great!! crisp sound and its actually loud! I've already had a noise complaint from my neighbour when at 70% volume. For such a small a device i was shocked and the bass is actually pretty impressive!! I have to say these speakers sound best with my liquid db etc but also great with anything else i play.
Would %100 recommend even at full price. I've tested them with my mates portable speakers which cost roughly £130 and there's no comparison, creative airwave hd wins hands down!
Plus the nfc is actually amazing, just tap it on the back literally.
VINE VOICEon 28 July 2013
Colour: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is one of the larger and heavier portable bluetooth speakers available at the moment and as such I had high hopes of good sound quality.Unfortunately I can only describe the overall sound quality as average on most types of music.Speech,however,is definitely above average so if Radio 4 and suchlike are your thing this speaker should be considered.NFC connectivity works very well with my Galaxy Note 2 and the ability to use the Airwave as a hands free speaker phone is welcome.So far the battery life has been excellent averaging 10-12 hours,at various volume levels,between charges.