Customer reviews

The Arsonist
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 January 2014
Back in my reviewing days, I was given their album 'Wolves' to crit. It was great as they blended harsh vocals with pop vocals over lots of thrashing. Although nothing terribly original, I thought Deadlock had enough hooks and sublime choruses to stand out from the pack. Sadly, their follow up, Manifesto, for me at least, was a tuneless din devoid of anything catchy or redemable. Because of this, I never bothered with Bizarro World. But, I had heard that internal changes had taken place so I was interested to hear what sort of effect this would have had. Suffice to say, I was impressed. The Arsonist is catchy as hell metal album that adopts the same tricks as before but this one has better ideas, which, after all, sets albums apart.

It's not a 5* album and a lot of opinions will depend on whether Deadlock's new personnel and John Gahlert's vocals are a change too far, but I think the core of their sound is still there. At times, it feels like they're rushing to get to the chorus because they are the best parts, occasionally jarring when it seems like a pop song and a metal core song have been uncomfortably mashed together. But that's Deadlock's style and when it works, it's great. There are even boundary pushing tracks such as the brilliantly powerful 'Hurt' and 'My Pain' which could see Deadlock start to break away from the linear harsh/clean style.

The Arsonist is a little on the short side with a couple of dreadful remixes to push up the running time. A nifty version of 'Small Town Boy' is a nice inclusion but take all of that away and we only have 9 tracks, 8 less than 4 minutes in length, which may not satisfy all fans. But for me, I would take this quality over Manifesto anyday. I may have to check out Bizarro World to see if I've missed anything.
on 19 September 2013
I hadn't heard a lot of deadlocks stuff but liked the few songs I had heard and when I saw they had a new album I bought it! and im not disappointed its brilliant! really heavy when it needs to be and the melodic parts are excellent!! another great band with a mix of harsh vocals and melodic female vocals and an industrial twist in their sound, I highly recommend this album and amaranthe aswell they are both very similar and deserve more recognition.