Customer reviews

on 6 March 2017
I must admit that the choir work got to me first. Is this a Klingon choir? I like full orchestra soundtracks and this is the ultimate. A true successor to Mr Williams. I also like the fact that he hints in pretty much every track at Mr Courages original and to me that's showing respect and true understanding of the history of Star Trek. A well written work with some unusual instrument showcasing. So far Michael Giacchino has not reached the predictable state of soundtrack writing and I really hope he never will.
on 24 March 2017
It's good for me thanks u for it
on 18 September 2017
Brilliant film and the soundtrack is ace
on 13 November 2014
Loved the film and now enjoy the music daily. Brilliant !!!!
on 9 June 2013
Star Trek Into Darkness (STID), the acronym of which sounds like something you would get diagnosed with at the GP, is Giacchino's latest album in the franchise. I loved the music to the first film, despite is having too short a running time (something this album also suffers from) and had extremely high hopes for this album. Thankfully, they were met. This album is in my opinion a career high for Giacchino, with stunning orchestral and choral writing that really packs a punch.

If you want a track by track analysis, I would suggest looking at one of the previous reviews. However, some personal favourites were the stunning Warp Core Values (Track 10), which has an amazing rendition of the main theme with choir and simply epic. The same can be said about the closing track Star Trek Main Theme (Track 14). The start of Buying The Farm (Track 11) is a welcome change of pace, with some great writing for strings and piano. The whole album is fantastic though, and it flows well. It is well mixed and doesn't sound as dry as some of his earlier albums. The different sections and choir all have exceptional clarity, and I thought the louder choir was a definite improvement from the soundtrack to the first film.

My only gripe - the running time. I'm not saying for one minute that I expect every single second to be released, but releasing 47 minutes is pretty shameful and not the greatest value for money. I understand that longer albums mean more expense in terms of license fees paid to the orchestra and choir (hence lower profits). However, for a film that has a budget of $190 million they probably could have afforded a longer running time and is poor given that many soundtrack albums are over an hour at least. They are probably saving more music for an inevitable 2CD release like they did with the soundtrack to the first film. Rant over.

Overall, if you were a fan of Giacchino's music from the first film, you will love this and there are some brilliant variations on the main ST theme here. The running time irked me, but the choral aspects were more prominent than on the first soundtrack album, which is a bonus. The quality of the music is sensational and easily deserves 5*s, but the running time means the product as a whole drops to 4*. Still highly recommended.
on 26 September 2013
I loved the soundtrack to the previous film but was, like a lot of other reviews, shocked by how reduced this way - particularly considering it's odd high price. Where is the music from the closing credits, for instance? Brilliant music but I feel I've been ripped off by Colosseum.
on 5 November 2014
One of the things that sets the Star Trek scores apart for other big movie scores is that composer Michael Giacchino isn't afraid to have fun with the music. And for as dark and serious as the new Trek film has been marketed (it is called "Into Darkness" after all), the score still has a lot of excitement and lightheartedness to it. While many composers rely too much on pounding percussion in these types of action movies, Giacchino doesn't go there. It seems he really believes that his themes can do the job - and he's right.

If you liked the last "Star Trek" soundtrack, the good news is that "Star Trek Into Darkness" builds off of that one. An example can be heard at the very opening of the soundtrack; fans will notice that the logo music is a variant of the logo music from the last "Star Trek". And there are many other themes from the previous score that are re-used in this score. This is a very good thing because the first soundtrack was fantastic - If you don't yet own that one, I highly recommend it: Star Trek. I like when there is a musical continuity in movie franchises; just as you want the characters and story to fit well with previous installments of a given franchise, you also want the music to pay homage and reference what has come before.

But "Into Darkness" isn't just a rehashing of old themes. There are some very original and unique tracks as well. An example is "The Kronos Wartet", which features some vocals. "London Calling" is another very nice track that seems to be a departure from anything we've heard in Star Trek before.

Overall, this is a highly recommended soundtrack and it's worthy of multiple listens. The score works very well on it's own, and it sounds great within the film too. I've listed a few of my favorite tracks below:

[3] Sub Prime Directive
[4] London Calling
[13] Kirk Enterprises

"Star Trek Into Darkness" is just the latest gift of Michael Giacchino's rich collaboration with producer/director J.J. Abrams - with his fantastic score for "Super 8", the last two "Mission Impossible" scores, and his work on the TV series "Lost", Giacchino is one of my favorite film composers working today.
on 22 December 2013
[...] Opinions on how "Star Trek Into Darkness" compares to its predecessor will be divided. Personally, I believe it to be superior, because the composition, the performance and the recording are a little more precise. [...] This time the orchestration is focused much more on the strings; its players providing a very tight performance.

Having said that... for all its technical marvel, I find most of Giacchino's score to be a little too calculated (less so than the previous one, but still...). [...] So, this is only a minor gripe, but I believe that its meticulousness is holding back a greater potential. Because... When the shackles do come of in "The San Fran Hustle" we are treated to what may well become the best action cue of 2013!

A bigger issue is the presentation of the score on album. There is a lot of really great material missing. An extra ten or fifteen minutes, particularly of Harrison's music, would have been very welcome (and would've lifted my rating below by at least half a star, if not more). One can only hope that a deluxe edition might one day get released - as it did for "Star Trek" (2009).[...]

Read the full review at [...]
on 3 July 2013
When JJ Abrams rebooted the Star Trek Franchise, it did split fandom. The soundtrack has however been mainly praised, an assessment I cannot disagree with.

Into Darkness continues this trend. The original Alexander Courage theme, apart from the end titles, is used sparingly so is not intrusive, allowing Giacchino free reign. The music used for Kronos honours that used for the Klingons by Goldsmith and Horner, but also finds it's own path, while Warp Core Values/Buying The Space Farm are emotive tracks, reminiscent of the first movie's "Labor of Love" track.

I recommend this to any fan of the movie
on 30 May 2013
I loved every second of Into Darkness, I had heard the full soundtrack before but after watching the film i felt the need to buy the soudtrack. Now that i've listened to it over and over again it always makes me feel like I'm watching the film again.

If your a fan of Michael Giacchino or Star Trek this is a OST not to miss out on.

My favourite tracks are Buying the space farm, London Calling and Pranking the natives.