Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.48

on 8 March 2017
This book is a phenomenal achievement. It is uplifting and inspirational and so well written as to feel like a novel. The sad fact that it is not fiction will break your heart but the human spirit so alive in the words of the person who survived this ordeal is impossible to ignore. Wonderful and deserving of every 5 star on here. I read a criticism in the reviews that the authors life in england seemed boring. Each of us is entitled to our opinion of course but for me that life is detailed to show how she overcame this and the people who helped her to do that. I didnt find that boring at all. In fact I found it to be the most life affirming thing stuff ive read this year. I didnt always find the book easy to read but im glad I did. What a fantastic read
on 12 April 2017
ok
on 19 May 2014
This book would be well-placed as a novel. But as an absolute true and factual account it is even more powerful. The reader quickly develops an empathy with the protagonist and the sudden rush and realisation of danger on an Ecuadorian mountainside takes one by surprise, even though it is clear from the outset. The writing is measured, assured and calm and the contrasting detail of life in the market in Covent Garden is delightful.

The title is a graceful, huge understatement of the pain experienced, which may last a lifetime. The story inspired me to write a poem which ends...'I am...open, open to grief with the wide world.' I heartily recommend this book both as a powerful reminder of all that is wrong, and yet also sharing the strength of the human spirit to both overcome and inspire.
on 10 July 2014
Of all the books I have ever read, The Silence of Clouds is one that has touched me the most profoundly. The brutal incident at the heart of the story is harrowing and disturbing in the extreme. It's also at times laugh aloud funny. An inspirational story about the bravery of the human spirit and the life-affirming power of friendship- Highly recommended.
on 19 May 2013
I found this quite magical. It's the easiest thing in the world to write dark fictions, but to take a horrific event from one's own life and use it to write something uplifting is a much trickier proposition. The Silence of Clouds pulls it off. It's a slice of someone's life, ranging through the stuff of real-life nightmares, revisiting the touchstones of childhood, and the hilarity and irreverence of young adulthood, ploughing - with rage - through periods of alienation and fear, and returning again and again to a central, grounding place - Covent Garden market. You could say that the market is a metaphor for all that's good in life: it's diversity, resilience and humour. But it's more than a metaphor, because this is a true story. And that's what moved me most about it. It's as if someone has tipped out their mind and shown us what makes a human being, and how the disparate parts of the mind - the disparate parts of a life - can come together to heal a horrific wound. If a book can make you cry, and make you laugh out loud - and also teach you something about the strength of the human spirit - what can you do, but write a review?
on 20 May 2013
I didn't know what to expect from this book but i was completely blown away. It's unlike any book i've read as it took me to emotional places of such heartbreak and such joy that I found myself crying at the end of one chapter and laughing out loud at the end of the next. Firstly I was amazed that anybody who through went what the author has would have the strength to write about it at all. The fact that Isla Nutbrown manages to make this book as much a meditation on the human condition as it is a memoir makes it one of the most affecting books I've ever read. The book is beautifully written and deftly structured, The characters come alive in the imagination and I found myself unable to put it down (a cliche I know, but true in this case).

Highly recommended. I can't imagine anyone not falling in love with this.
on 28 February 2017
I didn't realise that the book was written by the girl that the story was about, that gives me a new perspective. Still it was a book that you waited for something to happen and it really never did.
on 17 September 2013
An essential story to tell but a difficult one to put into words with such grace & humour as these.
on 19 March 2014
I have just finished this book and just could not put it down, the book is well written and found that it made me think about my own life and experiences and how we deal with life. Excellent
on 19 August 2013
Despite the dark and difficult subject matter central to this story, this is a wonderful book. At times it will make you laugh, other times it will make you cry, as Isla Nutbrown takes you on her journey of recovery. It is beautifully and bravely written and deserves to be read.