Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change

Possibly my favourite album of these past few months - can't recommend enough!
on 1 June 2013
Being a fan of TesseracT, I will admit I had HUGE expectations with this second LP. I consider the suite " Concealing Fate" as one of the most inspiring piece of progressive rock music since "A change of season".
Well, in a nutschell, ALTERED STATE is a mind blowing MASTERPIECE.
To sum up, I would go like this :
- Music : flawless tunes , very well balanced and on top ADDICTING
- Ashe O' Hara 's voice : wonderfull, powerfull and beautifull
- Progressive Density : this LP could be labelled as Top Notch Progressive music , ie : the songs don't go towards 10 musical directions at the same time
- Production : simply astonishing. Ackle and Amos accomplished a great work here. It's spacial, dense, tight and refreshing. In my opinion, the mixing treatment on Drums is fantastic.

The album is a MUST buy. I woud add also that LIVE, TesseracT is a terrific experience. The overall sound of the Band is unique.
55 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 May 2013
Maybe I don't get out enough but Altered State strikes me as major turning point in the rock/metal scene. It's grandiose but taut; complex yet melodic; ground-breaking and yet familiar. It is, quite simply, a sensation and should be heard to be believed because it's a real treat. I'll refrain from analogising, and just hope you listen to Altered State without any preconceptions; it's one of the most rewarding listens from one of the freshest bands to emerge in decades.
on 7 June 2013
Tesseract's first album was incredible so they had to pull out all of the stops to produce anything of that quality with their second album. Having lost their original singer I was concerned that his replacement (ignoring the first replacement who was dreadful) wouldn't be able match the quality.

Within one listen of this new album I had nothing to worry about. It's simply stunning on all levels. The new singer is superb and the songs are so well crafted that you'll get something new every time you listen to it. Tesseract have produced a work of genius here.
on 29 May 2013
Outstanding piece of work by our home grown boys. 100% top notch from start to finish. I'd urge anyone who likes this genre to buy it.... You won't be dissapointed.
on 15 May 2014
Tesseract occupy a unique space in the world of contemporary progressive metal, being much more melodic than most of their djenty peers. While much new prog tends now to sound a heck of a lot like all the other prog metal, Tesseract have carved out their own more approachable sound - with simpler and more accessible compositions, and vocals and instrumental lines that your granny might like. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and if you like your prog metal complicated and growly-screamy than tracks with soulful saxophone solos are probably not going to be for you. But I don't know many people - metal fans or just music lovers - who don't like this album when I've put it on in the background.
on 9 February 2014
I am an avid music fan having 300gig of music on my computer and 100's of cds in collection. however this is my first amazon review and with this band i feel the need to give them a shout, to sell, to share the talent that is Tesseract.
I haven't been so bowled over with an amazing album for a long time, but this has got me in a repetitive mood with the mp3 player.

of matter: incredible instrumental playing
of mind: intelligent, unique lyrical mindset
of reality: should be bigger than what they are
of energy: just buy it
on 6 September 2015
this is the bands magnum opus so far, it is perfect from start to finish, i can honestly say that this is probably the best album to come out of this and possibly the next decade...
however the new album polaris is out on (18/09/15) i hope they can live up to the pure pleasure they made when they released altered state.
tesseract are one of the only bands i believe in and hope for, they have made a massive impact on me and i have never been so exited to listen to new music by them...

long live tesseract, in tesseract i trust.
on 2 November 2015
I am really picky about the music I listen to, and find that a genre can get stale with too many bands using the same sounds.

I was therefore surprised to listen to this, as the djent scene had completely passed me by.

"Altered State" is a great album. Layered, intricate, and really goes somewhere. The vocals are passionate without being over-dramatic, and the lyrics provide many hours of pouring over.

Definitely a band that I will be checking our more.
on 7 March 2014
You simply have to buy this album!
I went to see Protest the Hero at o2 accademy in Birmingham, not knowing who the support acts were, TesseracT were one of them, and when they started they blew me away. So, on arrival home I ordered this album. I was not dissapointed. Having been disolusioned with the current brand of new metal that conforms to the same recipe, this is totally unique. Words can't explain, buy it!