on 16 July 2014
I've been using a trial of Silver Efex and sort of muddling through - getting good enough results to be impressed with the software, but also aware I wasn't using it to its full potential. This book provides a good key to getting to grips with Efex - it's workflow-based, so you get an efficient method for processing your files which places the different controls in a logical context, making them easier to understand and remember. There are also step-by-step exercises to let you practice what you've learnt.

A great advantage of the book is that it's cheap enough to be a disposable purchase; if you buy this as a companion to the Silver Efex trial, and decide the software isn't for you, it's no big deal. On that basis, I'd recommend it to anyone trying the Google Nik software package.

Having gone through the book, I feel I've got a good starting point for developing a process of my own: I don't shoot the same subjects as the author or want to produce the same sort of look, but he's given me a solid foundation for building my own method, which is the mark of a good teacher.
on 11 February 2014
Tried and bought the NIK plugin package and followed with purchase of all of Robin Whalley's NIK plugin guides in digital form to see what more I could do with it all. The guides are a good useful insight into making positive use of the plugins and clarifies using a number of the available editing approaches.
on 10 February 2014
This is one of the clearest, best laid out, accessible and well illustrated photo books I have yet seen as an eBook.
The book is devoted to the use of the Nik imager processing software for black and white images. If you are serious about this you will acquire (or already have) this software. If you place the image processing on the left of your screen and open Whalley's book on the right-hand side (or on your Kindle (eReader)) next to you; you can go through the book whilst editing your own image.
There is no better way to learn.
This book is a must for all photographers working in monochrome with this software.
on 9 January 2016
I bought this more for seeing some of the author's techniques and photos as it's very cheap. The software referred to is rather expensive I think and I prefer to continue using Serif Affinity. Still, a useful and interesting buy for mono photographers.
on 18 August 2013
As a complete novice to Nik Silver Efex Pro 2, I was looking for a no nonsense tutorial on how to use it and get the best out of it.
Robin Whalley's little book ticks all the boxes here. I love this plug in and Robin's book compliments perfectly.
on 24 May 2013
Now this guide is on my tablet it is really easy to work the sample images used in this book which can be downloaded from Robin's site. I also find it great to be able to read the main text in the comfort of the sofa!
I have been using Silver Efex for about a year, so more or less know my way around. What I find so useful and interesting is having explained what the different slider controls actually do - rather than find out by trial and error!
I shall definitely be going back over my recent conversions and hopefully will be able to improve on them.

Thoroughly recommend for all users of this NIK Plugin
on 20 April 2014
I thought I could find my way around photo apps 'til I took a look at this book. There were quite a few corners I'd not found and they make a real difference. Very straightforward text and pics and great value.
on 16 July 2013
This book clearly explains what each module does in the software. Silver Efex is not intuitive "out of the box".
on 9 December 2014
I love the to-the-point and unashamedly 'lightweight' approach. No waffle, no flannel, just hard data and the addition of worked examples is the cherry on the cake. I will investigate other of Robin's books and hope to be equally excited.
on 10 December 2013
One of the best books that I have read easy to follow. I HAVE been using SEP 2 for sometime now and this book is a must for B/W photography I will have to go and get the rest of NIKSoftware books. Thanks Robin