Size: 2TB|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This portable hard drive is a neat device that can be used for backing-up hard drives, providing additional storage for large files or to transport large files to wherever you intend to use them (from home to office for instance). Physically it is roughly the size of a 2oz tobacco tin, measuring approx. 85mm x 112mm x 18mm (W x L x H). It does not need any formatting, unless you intend to use it on a PC rather than a Mac. it plugs straight into your Mac via a USB 3 cable which is provided in the box (backwards compatible with USB 2) and does not need a power cable as it is powered through the USB cable.

Even some of the more recent models of Mac computers still use USB 2 ports so the data transfer speed is not as fast as it could be. However, that being so, this device can still transfer data a lot quicker than my previous external hard drive which was a Lacie, USB 2, 320GB external hard drive. My first back-up of the entire contents of my hard drive (approx. 250GB), to the WD drive, took just over two and a half hours, which I thought was extremely good. It was only the fact that a small LED light was constantly flashing while the WD Drive was working, that reminded me that it was performing a back-up, it is very quiet when in operation.

I notice that in other reviews there is mention of the fact that no carry case is supplied with this device, this is not a problem for me as I will be using it for my desktop iMac and therefore do not envisage carrying the drive around. However, having done some research, it appears that cases to fit this drive can be easily obtained online ranging from about £5 - £20.

A user manual can be downloaded directly from the Western Digital website. This is probably a wise thing to do as within its pages you will find instructions for setting up, using and troubleshooting the device. This document also describes how to install the software (pre-loaded on the WD drive) onto your hard drive, this software is designed to enhance the performance of your WD drive, it is: 1) WD + Turbo Driver, 2) WD Security software and 3) WD Drive Utilities Software.

The main positive points for me about the WD My Passport for Mac Portable Hard Drive are: 1) It's small physical size, 2) No set-up required, 3) Its speed and 4) How silent it is in operation. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a storage solution for their files or wanting to create a back-up for their data.
0Comment| 140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I purchased this item because I was attracted by the '... for Mac' description imprinted on its attractive silver-coloured case which I assumed endowed it with qualities or features that suited Apple Macintosh computers rather than Windows PCs. However, with the benefit of hindsight and after a period of use I cannot see what distinguishes this hard drive from other similar drives I possess but which I have reformatted for OSX rather than for Windows use. My gut feeling is that I could have purchased a similar portable Windows hard drive and reformatted it for OSX use and saved myself £30 - 40. I did exactly this with a couple WD hard drives I purchased in the last couple of months without any issues developing.

This item is described as being Time Machine compatible (OSX proprietary backup system), which of course it is, but any suitably formatted drive would be TM compatible too. I assumed it was the Macintosh application software supplied on the hard drive that lifted this drive above the ordinary. But I still don't get it, this proprietary software is unremarkable and anyway, I use my own backup software, not TM.

The purchase price was excellent and I saved about £30 on the deal but the reason for the saving was far from obvious until I read 'the small print' on the invoice that the supplier was overseas, Hong Kong to be exact. The consequence of which would be a delivery delay of between 10 - 30 days. My order was fulfilled in around a fortnight but had I needed this hard drive urgently I would have been in for a big surprise. Several times recently I have been persuaded by the cost savings to purchase items that have subsequently been proven to have been supplied from abroad. I have no objection to buying from overseas provided the lead times are acceptable. However, I would like to have this information available at the time of purchase and not to find this information after the order has been placed. Usually this information is concealed or hidden in the small print, probably deliberately, in order to clinch the sale. Not everyone is keen to buy from abroad because of warranty issues or possible import duty charges. Personally I find this 'sales strategy' annoying but which I tend to forgive once I reflect upon the cost savings I have made.

I like this hard drive but I have found its performance to be unremarkable. However, I am currently using it with a USB 2.0 equipped laptop, rather than a USB 3.0 equipped laptop, so that a fair and objective comparison is not available. I do possess a Samsung HDD with a USB 3.0 interface and it is marginally faster than this WD product.

Could I have achieved even greater cost savings if I ignored the '... for Mac' description? I believe the answer to be, 'yes'.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 January 2015
If you are a real 'technophobe' like me you will LOVE this product! To use this item on my Macbook Pro all I did was take it out of the packaging (this itself ideal for storing it in when not in use actually) and plug it into the USB socket. No formatting, no installation required - it just works straight away. I saved my 100plus GIG music library to it as my first job and while it took about an hour or so (maybe a little more) it did the job silently and without any blips.

The drive itself is made of quite light materials so it would not be a good idea to drop it but the fact that it is small, compact and light is what also makes it ideal for carrying about hence its 'Passport' name.

Overall, this is a simple tool that does what it says on the tin without complications and if you are like me that in itself is a breath of fresh air in today's VASTLY over complicated world.
on 1 May 2015
I bought this in January 2014 and it seemed to work fine until last back up on 6 April - now it doesnt back up anymore! Back up failed etc. Conveniently is just three months out of warranty. I tried WD Support but couldnt find no solution. My knowledge is basic but do own a Click Free portable hard drive for my Windows PC and its brilliant - must be 8 years old now and still going strong, fingers crossed. So a waste of £80 and have to look for another one a.s.a.p.
on 8 October 2013
Purchased to back up my Mac Book Pro - I purchased off the back of positive reviews and wasn't disappointed. It's really easy, simple ,compact and fast. I would recommend to other Mac users. The drive is compact and plugs straight into the laptop via the USB hubs and needs no formatting.
on 21 April 2015
This is probably much too large for my needs, but the same one with half the memory of this one wasn't much cheaper, so I'm happy with it. Easy to install and set up, then gets on with the job. Have also saved on it an on-line course I purchased and which I could download to use as I wanted, and that was an easy process. Very good fast service from the supplier. Thanks
on 17 January 2013
Not being a techy, I wanted something simple to use to back up information on the laptop. I just plugged it in and it downloaded immediately. Over 200 GB took some time but subsequently the downloads have been much quicker. Definitely recommend.
on 19 August 2017
Absolutely fine and a cracking good price
on 17 June 2017
has stoped working
on 22 April 2017
Not so good failed well within a year. Will have to buy another one some time.