on 7 August 2013
Eating well, saving money and being veggie can, let's be honest, be tough and boring. This book has really inspired my everyday cooking. Affordable and tasty, there are plenty recipes here that I can afford to make and share with friends - converting them to healthy food at the same time! My student days are long behind me but the recipes I've tried are so much better than what I was eating then! Highly recommend to anyone on a budget, student or not.
on 13 August 2013
Hungry Student Vegetarian is one of a series of three new books priced at a highly affordable £7.99 each, they'd make an ideal gift for anyone off to university fending for themselves in the kitchen.

The three titles are Hungry Student Cookbook, Hungry Student Easy Baking and Hungry Student Vegetarian. I've even heard some supermarkets are stocking the series for a bargain £3.99. So you could buy all three for not much more than a round of drinks in the student bar.

I've cooked two recipes from the Hungry Student Vegetarian and each of them have had distinct "yum" factor whilst avoiding the need for a battery of kitchen equipment or obscure ingredients.

Lemon and courgette tart keeps things quick and easy by making use of bought puff pastry and bought pesto. After all, students are too busy studying (!) to make their own puff pastry and pesto. Possibly they'll be cooking on a regular basis for the first time. I also made the lime and coconut ice cream which was brilliant because you didn't have to faff around with making custard.

Easily achievable food for novice cooks, hungry students and families alike. These books are full colour, 50% ish of recipes are photographed. Instructions are clear and no assumptions are made about prior cooking knowledge.
on 19 August 2013
A new absolute must have for any vegetarian, lots of useful tips and some lovely staple recipes, there are some great crowd pleasers in there too, can't wait to get started with it.
on 12 November 2015
Fabulous for my daughter going off to Uni. She already knows the basics of cooking so these recipes are just what she needed for a balanced, inexpensive but healthy diet. Recipes are easy to follow and ingredients are things that most people already have in their cupboards!
on 13 October 2013
Even though I am not exactly new to cooking, and am not strictly vegetarian, I do strive to eat healthy and incorporate more vegetables into my diet. This book has taught me some great ways of using veggies in everyday, budget-friendly cooking. In addition to being simultaneously simple and creative, the recipes are beautifully presented, fuss-free, full of flavour, and practically foolproof, making this the perfect go-to cookbook for any student (or busy individual trying to feed themselves, for that matter!). Charlotte's take on cooking reminds me of that of the SORTED team, which has also been a great inspiration.
I am delighted with this purchase and will definitely be looking into the other titles published in the series. This cookbook is pure joy to use!
on 20 November 2013
Lovely pictures, easy recipes. Inspired me to cook, even though I am not a student or a vegetarian (or hungry for that matter). I didn't actually buy the book for myself. Still, I hope my daughter likes it.
on 22 September 2013
same as my review of the hungry student. the book is ideal for inspiration giving simple instructions for the first time person away from home
on 5 November 2013
I am not a student! But this book is great, loads of recipes and all geared for two people! So this is ideal for me and my husband. Recipes are simple and in 'English' All the ingredients are available from your local supermarket.
Not many photos though, so you don't always know what the finished dish should look like.
on 2 October 2016
I have all of the cookbooks in this series having found the everyday meals book very useful. I find this one to be ok but not particularly inspiring.

As with some vegetarian cookbooks there is a lot of use of cheese and this book gives quite a lot of 'beginners ' recipes such as tomato sauce for pasta or jacket potato fillings. Of the three books I would say that this one would be more appropriate for the young inexperienced cook i.e. Some students whereas the other books can be used for family meals more readily.

I think it's a good book, aimed at students or younger cooks.

I
on 29 June 2017
Excellent book. Made great recipes, thanks!