Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 11 September 2013
If there was ever a book to get you into baking then this would be it. I have loved making all of the quick breads such as tortillas, flatbreads, pizzas, naans, soda bread and cheesy caterpillar bread.
Charlotte's instructions, if you are worried about going wrong, are concise, very detailed and exacting which will provide you with all the information you need to make a successful bake.
As a student, this book would have saved me a fortune. I was always spending a fortune in the bakery for lunch, not to mention the temptation of afternoon treats but if I had taken this baking book off with me as a new student, I could have had so much fun baking and sharing out wonderful sweets with my house mates. We all loved food but relied upon the local shops far too much.
Charlotte's muffin recipes are something I would recommend if you are a baking beginner. Once tried, you will never go back to shop bought again. And the money saved from home baking will be very much appreciated.
The introduction pages of this book are also incredibly valuable and will advise and educate you in many ways, you will feel ready to get in the kitchen.
I would recommend this book to anyone, not just students, who is keen to learn more about baking.
on 9 August 2013
This is a brilliant baking book. I'm not a student, but I do appreciate easy-to-follow, quick and tasty recipes, and this book is full of them! And what's more, most can be done with a wooden spoon, a mixing bowl and a couple of tins - perfect for those with limited cupboard space for storing bake-ware.

There are great pictures, clear ingredients lists (and the recipes tend to use ingredients that are easily accessible, unlike a lot of other books I've tried), step by step recipe instructions, and I'm yet to find a recipe in this book that doesn't turn out as it should. The muffin recipes are particularly good, especially the carrot, apple and sultana ones.

So overall, if you're looking for interesting and tasty cakes and bakes that can be thrown together in very little time and with very little fuss, then I'd heartily recommend this book!
on 10 August 2013
Affordable and comprehensive collection of recipes.Especially liked the loaf cake recipes, rarely found elsewhere.
Lavishly illustrated recipes which will inspire the novice or experienced baking enthusiast to get baking.Useful sections covering equipment for the budget conscious student and techniques and tips in plain English. Made the Chocolate Brownies- easy recipe, excellent result
on 26 March 2016
Bought for my almost 18yr old daughter, to get her practising before starting Uni later this year. She was thrilled with this and has seen so many recipes she can't wait to make in this and another book we got her. Today I've been supervising whilst she makes bread for the first time .. a bit of a stretch as her first loaf is Cheesy Courgette Caterpillar Bread! So far it looks very sticky indeed and we've followed the recipe to the letter, but it's on its first rise at the moment so we shall see in an hour!! Received the book very quickly - the day after it was ordered, so was enormously pleased.
on 6 August 2013
Baking is very much in fashion at the moment so we have seen many new baking books off the back of this trend such as the Great British Bake-off alumni, but Charlotte Pike has tailored her book to the new generation of bakers - students - but also incorporating those who might not have been at uni for a while but still have budget, space or equipment constraints.

Baking can be a real social activity, not only in the making but in the eating, and baking itself would be a great way of socialising at uni and bringing people together. Given the general (low) quality of student diets and their mutual love of items provided for free, I can well imagine myself a few years ago rustling up some of these cakes and bringing them to seminars etc to share with my fellow students as a bit of an ice-breaker or just a shared treat.

I would really recommend these books to anyone baking on a budget or eager to embrace the trend, or for people heading off to self-catering uni accommodation in the near future. I would have loved to have these books when I was at uni so they would make a great going away present. I have the general cookbook as well, and it's equally as good. Highly recommended, a really great product.
on 28 August 2015
This is an excellent book not only for students! The recipes are clear, straightforward and varied and don't contain long lists of ingredients or require lots of equipment! There are a range of different recipes to try both savory and sweet and they really do make the mouth water. Moreover, I think they are really cost effective and impressive! Well done Charlotte, I'd recommend this book to anyone student or not
on 17 November 2013
Being a keen baker this was the very first of the three cookbooks in this series that I energetically leafed through. Whilst this is an excellent book for the beginner, there are a multitude of recipes that will appeal to the more experienced baker - they certainly appealed to me. It starts with some information and a few handy hints focussing on key ingredients and baking techniques. Chapters include: Small Bakes, Big Bakes, Traybakes, Baked Desserts and the not to be forgotten Breakfast Baking where the picture of a tray of cinnamon buns had me leaping around with delight. Bread has not been forgotten and the chapter on Easy Breads includes some basics such as crusty white loaf, wholemeal soda bread and pizza bases but also some more unusual flatbreads and a spectacular sounding cheesy courgette caterpillar bread loaf, which, with the current courgette glut we are experiencing, is on my list of things to bake soon.
on 12 February 2014
Even established cook's need a basic general baking book, so I purchase this one. The other reason to buy it is because it is for students on a tight budget, most of the recipes are economical too!
on 17 January 2016
All of the recipes in this book are attainable by even the most basic baker like me. Easy and scrumptious, every single one!!!
on 30 December 2013
I bought three book from this series for my friend's daughter going off to university. She loved them and so did her friends.