on 8 May 2014
I have had this album some time now and the more I listen to it the more I love it. Having bought the album based on having only heard the track Lola Montez it was a little risky but there are plenty of other great tracks on this too. Volbeat definitely have a unique sound which maybe isn't for everyone but right now I can't get enough of them! Just need to purchase some of their previous stuff now.
on 25 August 2014
Excellent
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 April 2013
Volbeat have exchanged their fast and furious Porsche 911 for a smoother but no less powerful Bentley Continental on this album, producing to my ears at least their most melodic, diverse album yet. Singer Michael Poulsen is in fine voice and there are enough riffs in here to satisfy anyone who likes their guitars turned up to 11. From the acoustic opener to the Sabbath sounding Room 24, from the Big Countryish Pearl Hart to the Iron Maideney The Hangman's Body Count, many boxes get ticked. That is not to say this album is in any way derivative. Volbeat sound like no one else and on this Spaghetti Western themed album they have produced their best work yet.
on 17 April 2013
Every Volbeat album is fantastic! There are no excepetion to this. The band is fantastic live, and I was luck enough to see them at Sonisphere where they came on and did a longer set because so many people were waiting for them to come out early Sunday morning!

This has the typical Volbeat mix of sounds (if there is such a thing). A few favourites are The Nameless One, Lola Montez (this is going to be huge live!), The Lonesome Rider... One thing I don't understand is why Ecotone isn't on the standard version, as it's easily one of the best songs on the album!

So I would say go for this version, and if you haven't heard them before, what are you doing with your life!?
on 14 August 2014
I am just back from Copenhagen after seeing Volbeat in their home country and was definitely NOT disappointed. It takes a special band to make me travel all that way just for a gig and this was the album that started it all for me. Blissfully unaware of Volbeat's presence previously, I heard 'Pearl Hart' on three consecutive days on the radio and I have been hooked ever since. I have read other reviews having a go at the mix of styles that make up the complicated nature of Volbeat - these people just don't get it. Volbeat have proved that country can be combined with metal and when you have the overall melodic genius of Michael Poulsen allied to the guitar abilities of Rob Caggiano and the rhythm section of Anders Kjølholm and Jon Larsen keeping it as tight as a drum, the overall effect is one of a power quartet churning out one the heaviest, melodic albums of recent years. From the radio friendly 'Lola Montez' and 'Cape of Our Hero' to the metal masterpieces of 'Dead but Rising' and ' The Nameless One', this is an absolute must-buy for any metal-head who loves both power and melody.....with a bit of country thrown in for good measure. Just do it.....and then buy their previous four albums. Truly inspiring.
on 5 May 2015
Volbeat have surprised me immensely.
I bought this album only knowing Cape of Our Hero and Dead But Rising and a couple other tracks from previous albums. Seeing as it was my first Volbeat album I just shoved it on shuffle and let it play for an hour or so and I've gotta say, it was worth the money I paid.
Lola Montez is just one I can never ever get bored of, it sounds like its a cheerful song but in fact its encouraging somebody not to fall in love with a show girl. Pearl Heart and Black Bart follow in respect that they have a theme of like olden worldy. My Body is just amazing, something you can really sing along to. One that really sticks out for me though is Lonesome Rider. Being into heavy music it's not something I'd be interested in but that bass in the background is so reminiscent of people like Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley - to me Lonesome Rider has got to be one of the best on the album and it really shows the bands diversity in being able to play all kinds of music.
To any fan of the rock genre/metal or even country I'd suggest buying it, it is just a work of art.
on 12 May 2013
This is the third CD I have by this band. I have played their previous CD, "Beyond Hell/Above Heaven" to death. I saw them live last year and they were brilliant. A band who really love their fans and give it their all. This new CD is different in that there is a country feel to it. At first listening I wasn't too sure what to think, but then songs started growing on me and now I can't put it down!
on 29 June 2013
My first delve into Volbeat's world and wow!! Loved every second of every track, would strongly recommend it. Not the heaviest of metal albums but very foot tapping and head nodding. Listen to this first 2 weeks before seeing them live at Download festival, they are incredible live too!
on 1 June 2014
I love rock and metal, but often the song is sacrificed on the sword of intensity. We have driving riffs and a virtuoso display of vocals, but could you sing it in the shower? I say to you no!

Here, though, we have unapologetic rock music with actual anthemic songs that would sound just as good 'unplugged'. Which is refreshing.

Heartily recommended!
on 22 August 2013
If listening to the (DAB) radio is to be believed, VolBeat came into existence with the track "Lola Montez" - albeit one of the catchiest tracks I've heard for many a year - but after listening to this album a few times, you'll come to appreciate that almost the entire album is full of gems (several just as pleasingly memorable). You'll also come to realise that there's no "selling out" (I really hate the term, even if I understand the sentiment - all bands want and, to a vary large extent, need to be successful to survive, even Hawkwind needed to make a living!), as the lyrics are still tight, the band tighter still and the music raunchy. This album may signify a level of maturity for VolBeat whereby they aren't worried about producing metal that appeals to more than just metal fans - I sincerely hope so as this is a Band and album of quality that deserves a wider exposure and audience.