on 5 May 2015
Volbeat have surprised me immensely.
I bought this album only knowing Cape of Our Hero and Dead But Rising and a couple other tracks from previous albums. Seeing as it was my first Volbeat album I just shoved it on shuffle and let it play for an hour or so and I've gotta say, it was worth the money I paid.
Lola Montez is just one I can never ever get bored of, it sounds like its a cheerful song but in fact its encouraging somebody not to fall in love with a show girl. Pearl Heart and Black Bart follow in respect that they have a theme of like olden worldy. My Body is just amazing, something you can really sing along to. One that really sticks out for me though is Lonesome Rider. Being into heavy music it's not something I'd be interested in but that bass in the background is so reminiscent of people like Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley - to me Lonesome Rider has got to be one of the best on the album and it really shows the bands diversity in being able to play all kinds of music.
To any fan of the rock genre/metal or even country I'd suggest buying it, it is just a work of art.
on 29 May 2017
My son, Alfie introduced me to these guys! Iv been a 'rock' fan for around 50 years n it takes a special something to interest me. This album has it in spades!! Riffs, chorus's, original voiced vocals n calling on the old west, Johnny Cash metallised, now that's a winning formula!!! Saw footage of them at the Sonisphere Festival and they were smoking!! Eventually bought 4 of their albums! Invest now!
on 22 August 2013
If listening to the (DAB) radio is to be believed, VolBeat came into existence with the track "Lola Montez" - albeit one of the catchiest tracks I've heard for many a year - but after listening to this album a few times, you'll come to appreciate that almost the entire album is full of gems (several just as pleasingly memorable). You'll also come to realise that there's no "selling out" (I really hate the term, even if I understand the sentiment - all bands want and, to a vary large extent, need to be successful to survive, even Hawkwind needed to make a living!), as the lyrics are still tight, the band tighter still and the music raunchy. This album may signify a level of maturity for VolBeat whereby they aren't worried about producing metal that appeals to more than just metal fans - I sincerely hope so as this is a Band and album of quality that deserves a wider exposure and audience.
on 17 July 2013
Volbeat are a band that cannot be pigeon holed into a certain genre of music, their influences varies wildly, and it works massively. In my humble opinion, this is the best album so far that they have released. The usual mix of punk, metal, rock etc. is complimented by Poulson's vocals which seem to get better with age. This album is heavier than their past releases and it is for this reason why I think this is their best. The best track on the album is 'Room 24' which has guest vocals from King Diamond (Mercyful Fate). Other notable tracks are 'Nameless One' and 'Lola Montez'. For the more astute listener, it is noticeable that the guitars sound heavier and this may be due to new guitarist Rob Caggiano bringing his shredding skills from Anthrax. Bands like this will always have haters due to their mix of style, ignore them, they are musically naive, Volbeat rock!
on 5 January 2015
Absolutely superb double: first disk features their latest album release including Lola Montez, Dead but Rising and the excellent Hangman's Body Count. The second disk shows them in full flow live in concert, and they do not disappoint. I took a chance on this disk and I've been tracking down their earlier music since then. I found them a strange outfit at first listen with their different musical styles, but two or three of the tracks grabbed me first listen; after a few more listens I was a believer; hard not to be when they perform the tracks so well, and of course when I saw the live disk I was hooked.
on 18 October 2013
I heard "Lola Montez" on the radio the other day and bought the album on the strength of that one song. Imagine my surprise/delight when I listened to track after track and loved every single song?

'Outlaw Gentlemen and Shady Ladies' is the best album I've bought this year, and Volbeat have just jumped to the top of my playlists. Even better, my 17 year old daughter heard the album and instantly loved them too!

My first, but definitely not my last album from this Danish combo.
on 8 May 2014
I have had this album some time now and the more I listen to it the more I love it. Having bought the album based on having only heard the track Lola Montez it was a little risky but there are plenty of other great tracks on this too. Volbeat definitely have a unique sound which maybe isn't for everyone but right now I can't get enough of them! Just need to purchase some of their previous stuff now.
on 1 June 2014
I love rock and metal, but often the song is sacrificed on the sword of intensity. We have driving riffs and a virtuoso display of vocals, but could you sing it in the shower? I say to you no!

Here, though, we have unapologetic rock music with actual anthemic songs that would sound just as good 'unplugged'. Which is refreshing.

Heartily recommended!
on 18 May 2014
Been a big fan of Volbeat since seeing them live at Download a few years back,- this album is not only their best so far,-but easily one of the best rock albums of the last 5 years.
This is Volbeat at the absolute height of their powers. Instantly likeable rock tunes, interspersed with full on metal,- each performed with Volbeats' signature skill and quality.
This is one of the few bands who can deliver both ends of the rock/metal spectrum and nail it every step of the way. Each track is a masterful example of Volbeats' diversity and talent, and this version includes 2 live tracks which also showcases their live energy and ability to effortlessly entertain a capacity crowd.
Buy this album, -LOVE this album - then go and see them live,- Volbeat are THE most refreshing act to surface on the rock/metal/live scene in years- treat yourself!!
on 4 October 2014
ok, I'm going to be honest at the peril of the dreaded 'comment'.
I bought this album on the strength of the 5 star feedback received and at first listen I thought it sounded like a cross between Rick Astley (begads) and Metallica.
amused and interested I played it again. the 2nd listen I was hooked.
I'm listening to it right now and I absolutely love it.
these guys are absolute geniuses. every song on the album is fantastic and it's a long time coming. if like me you buy music and are let down and underwhelmed so so often then take note: this WON'T disappoint.
buy it!