on 17 October 2013
I love these gems of books recalling fairly recent history of our serving forces. I really enjoyed this book as it brought back memories when I was a little girl and my much loved soldier uncle sent letters from Germany and the Middle and far East. My uncle served in all the places that Leon did and it has given me a much better understanding of what he faced during his time in the army with the Queens Own Irish Hussars as they were then. I have also visited Bovington many times over the years. A good read!
on 22 November 2013
A real nostalgia-fest for me as I also pursued careers in both Army and Police with two separate Forces, one of which meant he and I were almost contemporaneous in the Derbyshire constabulary!

Mr Jones has man uncluttered, economical style that never gave me time to feel in danger of getting bored yet he has such a command of detail it left me jealous of his powers of recall of specifics of a very exciting and peripatetic career.

If I have any criticism it is his coming dangerously close to self-aggrandisement not more than any other autobiography.
on 30 October 2013
Leon has written a very good account of Army life and I rather enjoyed it as an ex Trogg (Royal Corps of Transport) and Police Officer I could relate to everything Leon has written and I know a lot of the places he talks about as I live in Camborne where he went to school my son live in the next street to where he lived in Devizes and he now lives in the same street as Leon in Bovington.
on 6 February 2014
Nothing momentous, but a good read and we'll written when British forces still had some places to go that were interesting. As a amateur mechanic I enjoyed the little.details about military vehicles and procedures too.

Very good value.
on 23 May 2015
I was initially attracted to this book as I was also an ex-Apprentice VMA. What disappointed me were a couple of inaccuracies, the main one being the presence of the 11th Hussars in Aden around 1964. The Cherrypickers did serve in Aden, but in 1961, before the emergency, so it was definitely not the 11th Hussars that shot up the Police Post. I could argue some of the specifications concerning Chieftain and Centurion, but that would be nit picking. All in all, a fairly mundane read with occasional interesting bits.
on 25 August 2014
Simply a good readable account of an era fast vanishing in today's Army.
Whatever any body else has to say, an easy read, able to identify with his story.

Good to hear a grassroots trip through his varied career.

To anyone who likes as I do, to fill in some of the things that you forget over the years, I commend this to you!

GDL
on 27 October 2013
A really interesting read of a time now past. The author takes us through two careers in the Army and one as a police officer. Both make a good read.
The book is sadly spoilt by poor spell and grammar checking which seems to be very common in kindle books
on 9 December 2013
compelling, could not put the kindle down. Being ex R.E M E as well could emphasise in every way,such a fantastic and interesting service career.
on 13 October 2013
An excellent book every RAC soldier who served in the 70s & 80s will be able to relate to the story the characters and the events on this book
on 19 December 2016
I have knocked off one star because it ends rather abruptly and we never find out what happened to them! Otherwise enjoyable.