TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 July 2016
4.5

After reading No Longer Safe by the author and being blown away, I knew I had to read more of her books and I decided on The Evil Beneath.

Juliet is caught up in a web of bodies turning up dead in the water. She, as well as the police have no idea how both have any relation to each other and seem to think it's down to where Juliet works. Juliet is obviously very nervous and a little scared as to what is going on around her and is as interested as the police are in getting to the bottom of it.

Even though the police are involved, Juliet certainly seems to do a better job at times, working on her own in trying to solve it. Brad the detective and Juliet seem to have quite a lot of sexual tension going on and it's obvious they both really like each other. I did find it slightly in appropriate with Brad working on the case to get so close to Juliet as it certainly wouldn't be allowed but as it's fiction and I quite liked the chemistry that was going on between both of them it didn't really get in the way of the story and if anything probably added to it.

The Evil Beneath is yet another gripping read where I didn't have a clue who was going to be behind it all until it was revealed to me. The whole plot has been very cleverly put together and I was kept guessing right up until the very last minute. I loved the whole connection and how the pieces all come together by the end. It certainly makes for a great read that has you hooked from beginning to the very end.
on 17 June 2016
Let me start by saying that I would have given this book 5 stars - if it hadn't been for the multitude of typos. I don't know if this was just the case with the Kindle version, but a good proof-reader should have picked them all up.

Th story itself was first rate and kept me turning the pages. The fact that Juliet was allowed to get so involved with the police investigation was hard to believe (not to mention the trip down the sewers!) but it made for a good story. I guessed pretty early on who was behind it (the clues were there) but that is what I like about books like this; I feel cheated when the perpetrator is introduced at the 11th hour!

I would certainly recommend this book.
on 9 March 2018
This is an outstanding book, hooked from page 1 to the last page, could easily have read in one go, if sleep and work didn't get in the way.
Unusual story in that it is written from an on lookers point of view, not from a police or killer view point. This works extremely well, with a few clues dropped in.The central character is very well developed.
This book was recommended to me by Andrea, to whom I am eternally grateful. I will definitely be reading more of this author. Not sure which one to read next, any suggestions?
on 7 October 2013
Thie was a great read and kept me guessing throughout especially with the twists. I don't want to give anything away. The characters were great you felt their pain and frustration and emotion and empathy. I felt exhausted getting to the end. I would recommend this for anyone who enjoys a crime thriller. This book was chosen as our book for bookclub (October 2013), easily finished within the month.
on 23 September 2016
Much as I enjoy series of books featuring one or more lead characters (usually European or American police officers), it's great to mix standalone novels in there.

Enter The Evil Beneath. If you can suspend disbelief at the (almost) ludicrous use of outside people by the Met police, there are lots of red herrings, interesting characters and a great pace leading to an enjoyably fast read with a very satisfying conclusion.

Must admit, I would have ditched the Mills and Boonish "will they/won't they" relationship but that's a minor quibble. Will continue buying books by AJ Waines as soon as they're published!
on 22 July 2013
Just finished reading this book and was blown away. It twists and turns from suspect to suspect and just when you think you've got it, something else comes along to question your judgement. It is a tour de force with regard to portraying complex personalities, relationships and how the human psyche works. I'm left feeling bereft that as i've now finished the book, I won 't be keeping up with what the characters are up to - if that's not the sign of a good book then i don't know what is! I highly recomment it to those people with a fascination for people, life and death.
on 29 January 2014
Recently I snagged this book when it was free on Amazon. I saw some great reviews on it before and when I got a notice that it was free I jumped at the chance to download it. I’m glad I did. Right from the start I knew I would love the book. Juliet Grey is the type of character that kept me on the edge of my seat. She’s intelligent, impulsive, and doesn’t listen to reason. On many times I shouted, “Don’t do it!” I love it when a book gets me worked up.

As for the mystery, I was thrilled that I couldn’t figure it out. I had hunches—all wrong. Waines kept me guessing, which made me read fast. Then faster and faster. Luckily I started the book on a Saturday. I finished it before Monday.

It’s an easy book to read, yet it’s complicated enough to keep you guessing. And now I’m a fan of A. J. Waines.
on 31 July 2016
Loved this book! A great psychological thriller with so many twists and turns to keep you guessing right until the end. Highly recommend this book! I couldn't put this book down. There was a mistake in chapter 28 though where it says the body was to be found in Kew but it should have been found in Blackfriars.
on 16 December 2015
First book I have read by this author and quite enjoyed it. Good story and believable characters. My biggest problem with this book was having to suspend belief over the behaviour of the main police officer and also the main character. Way too much information shared by the police officer to be taken seriously and also antics of the main character. I still enjoyed the book and thought the plot was good. I have just read another book by this author which was better.
on 2 September 2014
This was a brilliant read with lots going on. It kept me hooked not knowing who the killer was until the end. It was clever how it made you think the killer was someone else and I was honestly suspecting everyone near the end. I really liked the characters and found I got invoked easily. There was always something going on to keep the book interesting.

Great read which I would definitely recommend.