on 24 May 2014
To me my main gripe as that some of the songs don't need to be on here, while other songs seem put in an un-natural time signature for the sake of it. That said, it is still great to listen to on a summer afternoon
on 14 March 2017
Possibly my favourite album of all time. Well, all the greats are when they're on...
on 30 May 2013
Have never heard of them before but,thankfully,now I have.
This is everything I need from an album.
Dark but melodic.Intriguing yet accessible.
Beautiful production,addictive vocals singing well considered lyrics.
An album of 54 minutes (approx) and every second of it is essential listening in my opinion,I didn't skip any track and thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience.
I must check out their other albums but for now,this is fantastic.
I haven't a lot to add to Gannon's excellent review here. This is a very good album by The National. Don't look for great surprises or radical shifts of direction - they carry on doing what they were already doing on High Violet and they do it very well - mournful, haunting and to me very beautiful songs, excellently sung and played in their distinctive style.

I'll spare you a lot of superfluous verbiage. It seems to me that the long and short of it is this: if you like The National's work so far then you'll love this. If you don't you won't. I most certainly do.
on 11 June 2013
I am a big fan of The National and after their excellent last album, High Violet, I was very excited that they were releasing yet another album. I had been listening to 'Demons' on BBC R6 for several weeks before its release and had pre-ordered this cd (which I rarely do these days). It's a fantastic album, takes a while to grow on you but when it has bedded into your brain its quite addictive and you will want more.... Loving it so far and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed their previous albums or fancies something new.
on 22 February 2015
When your last album hit the Top 10 in 11 different countries, you have a difficult act to follow. That's is the challenge facing The National with "Trouble Will Find Me", after their last album, 2010's "High Violet" achieved exactly that and as if further proof were needed that The National had gone mainstream, they were also asked to provide songs for television series "Game of Thrones" and "Boardwalk Empire", as well as video game "Portal 2". But The National are no flash-in-the-pan group that have suddenly have success thrust upon them, instead they have built up a following over many years and "Trouble Will Find Me" is their sixth full album, with a couple of EPs thrown in for good measure. The National have had time to enhance their skills and it certainly shows.

This is a tough album to type, as The National are placed generally in the indie-rock category, but there isn't a lot of the rock side of things here. They fit nicely into a sort of subdivision with Nick Cave and Joy Division with the mostly deep vocals and a quite dark feel, yet somehow the dark nature of some of the music and lyrics allow this to be an album that proves to be surprisingly relaxing. Indie-rock isn't generally a preferred genre of mine and I'm far more of a fan of upbeat and up tempo music, but despite my personal preferences, I found "Trouble Will Find Me" to be a consistently high quality album and it's certainly one that I will listen to over again when I need to set a relaxing mood. At 13 tracks and 55 minutes long, it's great value.

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk
on 7 May 2017
Have been a fan of The National for some time , but with this album they have surpassed themselves ....can honestly say this is one of my very favourite albums of all time ...a classic , you could say .It's rarely off of any of my players ...as it's one of those rare albums where there is not one bad song on it....brooding , sometimes melancholic, sometimes quirky , but each time I listen you pick something else up within the music ....truly a wonderfully ,excellant album ...highly recommended. ...one of those that should be in everyone's collection .
on 28 June 2013
I don't think I've ever taken to a National album first time. They slowly grow and grow and grow on you until you realise you can't go a day without listening to one of their albums or songs, so didn't expect to get this album straightaway. I've listened to it again, and again and again and many of the songs have grown on me and I like them a lot ( I should live in salt; Demons, Sea of Love; Graceless; I Need My Girl) but there is just too many similarly tempoed songs that make the whole album a little underwhelming. If it had ended after I Need My Girl, I would probably have given it 4 stars but I feel the last 3 songs just meander nowhere and drag the album down.
on 20 May 2013
With each release by The National comes a certain weight of expectation that, with patience, what initially seems simple will give way to complex currents capable of engulfing you entirely. Now on their sixth LP of intelligent indie-rock, Trouble Will Find Me is no different in this regard, offering glorious reward in proportion to time invested once more.

Hats off to the Ohio-born, Brooklyn-based five-piece for not going stadium-sized too when it must occasionally be financially tempting to morph into U2 mode. Indeed, in places, the retiring Trouble Will Find Me is perhaps the opposite of what one might expect at this stage of their wonderful fourteen-year career. The stark power of teary stripped-back cuts such as "Slipped", for example, are just as striking as trademark moments of heavy-hearted rapture like "Graceless", during which Matt Berninger`s baritone stands firm against swooping torrents that race past with almost elemental inevitability.

The National are a precious band, one that already mean the world to some and with the lump-in-throat "I Need My Girl" they're only cementing this position. Its plucked strings fire off like welding sparks as, amidst a drizzle of ghostly harmonica, Berninger dictates the melody with tempo changes. And though this bittersweet anthem for the lovelorn has a straightforward message it delivers as massive and immovable a statement as erecting a granite monolith in driving rain.

That there's no seismic shift in direction is comforting, especially when one considers the large supporting cast which includes backing by the likes of St. Vincent, Sharon Van Etten and Nona Marie Invie of Dark Dark Dark. Sufjan Stevens also contributes drum machine to a number of tracks, notably to the confessional first single "Demons" - part of a flawless opening five tracks during which the subtle epic "I Should Live In Salt" comes alive with the introduction of a low-end swell and the effortless beauty of "Fireproof" is allowed to shine via its diverse arrangement.

Second single "Don't Swallow The Cap" is a real standout too, its searching guitar line pitting its wits against dynamic drums, urgent string stabs and a take-home chorus that reads like a diary entry. Closing this impeccable quintet is "Sea Of Love" from which the album title comes as well as the LP's biggest blowout.

In such company and with a running order that lasts nearly an hour there are inevitably a few lesser peaks though they're sequenced wisely, the open spaces and clean guitar chimes of "Humiliation", for example, breaking up an oppressive tail-end. And despite, arguably, Trouble Will Find Me lacking an arms-wide avalanche to rival, say, "Bloodbuzz Ohio", it instead makes its case with timeless signatures of dignity and stealth that gather and swirl together as an unstoppable storm of emotion. Don't be surprised if you lose yourself to it completely.

Advised downloads: "I Need My Girl", "Graceless" and "Don't Swallow The Cap"
1616 Comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2013
This album got good reviews in several newspapers upon it's release so I thought I'd give it a listen, and what an album it is. The first two tracks feel quite dark and atmospheric, and that quite stripped back feeling seems to continue through the album. I've tried The National before, but we didn't hit it off. This album though is a fantastic offering, and one that means I now have to listen their back catalogue (by no means a bad thing).
I love the mood of the album, the stripped back feel is just sublime, and goes with the vocals and violins so well, and every track feels like it has it's own personality. The album never dips, as some albums do, and in fact the album ends as strongly as it starts. My favourite track after the first listen was Pink Rabbits, although I quite liked Humiliation as well (let me get back to that question).
This for me is one of the best album of the years so far, and will surely be in my top 10 of the year (if not top 5 or higher). I recommend any fans of alt rock to give this a shot sooner rather than later, as I'm sure you won't regret it.
In conclusion: a great album by a great band, now excuse me while I go and listen again.