on 7 September 2017
I really like this album, and will happily listen to it repeatedly, but do feel it is a *very* slight disappointment after High Violet and Boxer.

I think the key distinctives of the National sound have been threefold: Matt Berninger's deep baritone voice; Bryan Devendorf's tight, inticrate, almost melodic rhythms (backed up by brother Scott's solid bass); and the Dessner brothers' intricate guitar ostinatos. To different extents it feels like they've eschewed these and as a result become a bit more mainstream.

This shift is biggest in terms of Berninger's vocals. He sticks mostly to more normal and higher registers - particularly in the opener I Should Live in Salt - and turns out to be unexpectedly competent; but it's this competence which is the trouble. It's lost some of the charm, character and depth which comes through in his deeper vocals. His old style is occasionally deployed (Demons), but it doesn't dominate the sound in the way it does on older albums.

The drums are less dominant, and whilst Devendorf's playing is still central, it doesn't seem to hold the sound together in the same way as say, Bloodbuzz Ohio, even when it is nicely high in the mix (Demons, Don't Swallow the Cap, Graceless).

Again, the traditional Dessner sound is still there in places (Fireproof, I need my Girl), but it feels like they are maybe a bit embarrassed to sprinkle it more liberally - and so whilst it has evolved, it is mostly into something less distinctive.

The peak of this mainstreaming is towards the end of Heavenfaced, when you could easily be mistaken for thinking you were listening to U2, complete with Edge-style guitar and Berninger doing some Bono-esque falsetto.

Having said that, the positives way outweigh the negatives. There aren't any bad songs on it, and in fact there are more very good than merely good ones. Don't swallow the Cap is a great upbeat single. Slipped and Pink Rabbits are great slow-burners, the reverby vocal and sparse guitar and piano of the former being a particularly beautiful moment.

So all-in-all, a great album, and maybe the best easy introduction to the National, but not quite as wonderful as the previous two
on 14 March 2017
Possibly my favourite album of all time. Well, all the greats are when they're on...
on 9 December 2017
Gave me depression but it's still good
on 24 July 2017
Depressing but good
on 24 May 2014
To me my main gripe as that some of the songs don't need to be on here, while other songs seem put in an un-natural time signature for the sake of it. That said, it is still great to listen to on a summer afternoon
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 20 May 2013
I haven't a lot to add to Gannon's excellent review here. This is a very good album by The National. Don't look for great surprises or radical shifts of direction - they carry on doing what they were already doing on High Violet and they do it very well - mournful, haunting and to me very beautiful songs, excellently sung and played in their distinctive style.

I'll spare you a lot of superfluous verbiage. It seems to me that the long and short of it is this: if you like The National's work so far then you'll love this. If you don't you won't. I most certainly do.
on 11 June 2013
I am a big fan of The National and after their excellent last album, High Violet, I was very excited that they were releasing yet another album. I had been listening to 'Demons' on BBC R6 for several weeks before its release and had pre-ordered this cd (which I rarely do these days). It's a fantastic album, takes a while to grow on you but when it has bedded into your brain its quite addictive and you will want more.... Loving it so far and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed their previous albums or fancies something new.
on 22 February 2015
When your last album hit the Top 10 in 11 different countries, you have a difficult act to follow. That's is the challenge facing The National with "Trouble Will Find Me", after their last album, 2010's "High Violet" achieved exactly that and as if further proof were needed that The National had gone mainstream, they were also asked to provide songs for television series "Game of Thrones" and "Boardwalk Empire", as well as video game "Portal 2". But The National are no flash-in-the-pan group that have suddenly have success thrust upon them, instead they have built up a following over many years and "Trouble Will Find Me" is their sixth full album, with a couple of EPs thrown in for good measure. The National have had time to enhance their skills and it certainly shows.

This is a tough album to type, as The National are placed generally in the indie-rock category, but there isn't a lot of the rock side of things here. They fit nicely into a sort of subdivision with Nick Cave and Joy Division with the mostly deep vocals and a quite dark feel, yet somehow the dark nature of some of the music and lyrics allow this to be an album that proves to be surprisingly relaxing. Indie-rock isn't generally a preferred genre of mine and I'm far more of a fan of upbeat and up tempo music, but despite my personal preferences, I found "Trouble Will Find Me" to be a consistently high quality album and it's certainly one that I will listen to over again when I need to set a relaxing mood. At 13 tracks and 55 minutes long, it's great value.

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk
on 7 May 2017
Have been a fan of The National for some time , but with this album they have surpassed themselves ....can honestly say this is one of my very favourite albums of all time ...a classic , you could say .It's rarely off of any of my players ...as it's one of those rare albums where there is not one bad song on it....brooding , sometimes melancholic, sometimes quirky , but each time I listen you pick something else up within the music ....truly a wonderfully ,excellant album ...highly recommended. ...one of those that should be in everyone's collection .
on 28 June 2013
I don't think I've ever taken to a National album first time. They slowly grow and grow and grow on you until you realise you can't go a day without listening to one of their albums or songs, so didn't expect to get this album straightaway. I've listened to it again, and again and again and many of the songs have grown on me and I like them a lot ( I should live in salt; Demons, Sea of Love; Graceless; I Need My Girl) but there is just too many similarly tempoed songs that make the whole album a little underwhelming. If it had ended after I Need My Girl, I would probably have given it 4 stars but I feel the last 3 songs just meander nowhere and drag the album down.