Customer reviews

6,032
Format: Audio Download|Change

on 27 July 2017
The tale never ceases to keep the reader what is going to happen next. Great story telling. The plot has so many threads it keeps a sense of mystery even though it is fast moving. I would recommend this book to all those who look for adventure with stunning detail of Dante , Florentine and Venetian history.
on 29 May 2013
I was really looking forward to reading this book...its been a while since the last one. But, while I would say I enjoyed it - a lot of it was just a glorified tourist guide for Florence and Venice - and I did get a bit bored in places. Also, if you were a mad man intent on killing off half the world with a plague - why wouldn't you just DO IT?!? Why leave cryptic clues everywhere and give someone the chance to stop your crazy scheme?!? Doesn't make sense to me. But, its an easy read and the level of detail is impressive - if a little repetative. I would recommend it, if you are a fan of Dan Brown.
on 20 November 2016
Saw advertisement for this movie of the same name! Have not seen movie yet but if it is as good as this book then it should bed good!
Another hit on their hands I think!
Would recommend to anyone interested in a good action book with plenty of twists & turns!
on 22 January 2014
Action from the start to the end - should appeal to some people. I found it tedious. All this running and for what? A riddle that by the end of the book you realise was totally pointless! This was my first Dan Brown book. Everyone has been waxing lyrical about this author and even on other author's books you see them mentioned as the 'new Dan Brown' or 'Dan Brown watch your back!' so I thought to give him a try. Will I read any of his other books? Doubtful. I believe there are better writers out there.
on 8 July 2017
I have read all of Dan Brown's book but this one was written differently. So there are the normal twists and turns but this one seemed very drawn out. Although it still had the intrigue and wonder of the other books, it took a long time for things to make sense and to get to the point. However I would recommend it.
on 12 March 2014
I've read all of the Robert Langdon books and he's grown on me as a character. I admire his intellect, sympathise with his fears and I can totally believe that he gets thrown into the most ridicolous situations without questioning overmuch. I'm in for the ride. I may not 100% believe everything Dan Brown writes about, but I don't need to. It's still more than interesting enough to keep me reading.

Inferno begins with Robert Langdon at the hospital. How did he get there? We don't know. Why is he there? We don't know. Where is he? Florence. We meet Sienna Brooks, a doctor at the hospital with a suspicious non-accent. The two are soon thrown into a situation poor Langdon surely isn't capable of, seeing as he has amnesia. He was shot, last night, Sienna tells him as they flee through the streets of Florence, a woman with short hair (Brown seems only capable of separating people by their respective hairstyle) following them, trying to shoot them.

Langdon and Sienna head back to Sienna's place, where Langdon finds out that Sienna is actaully one of the smartest people on the planet. Langdon also finds a mysterious item in his pocket and when they found out how to work it, reveals a map of hell with some cryptic words written on it.

There's also a big evil secret company who have a creepy video and a middle-aged WHO leader who keeps pining about being barren. Oh, and scientist dude thinks Dante wrote The Divine Comedy just for him. We've all been there, man.

I like this. I like this a lot.

First of all, Florence, nice touch. I was wondering where Dan Brown would take us next. We've been all over, almost, so I was nervous to see where we would be going next. Though, can I just point out there, is it too much to ask to set it in a non-western setting? I would so much love to see Robert Langdon in China or Japan, something ancient like that. India would also be awesome. Anyway, Florence, clearly has a lot of history and I found myself researching the city while reading the book, just to fully be able to appreciate all the references. And it was totally worth it. Oh, and they also go to Venice and Istanbul (which isn't a western setting, so I guess I got what I wanted...)

Sienna Brooks is a great sidekick. I've always really liked all of Dan Brown's heroines, and although Sienna isn't my favourite, she's certainly something else than what we've seen from Brown previously. She's curt, brash, impulsive, monstrously intelligent and British. She's also a bit of a loner and even the reader doesn't know too much about her. She takes the Langdon heroine to a new level, I think. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

Even though I don't think that The Divine Comedy is something the average Dan Brown reader would've read, it doesn't feel alienating to the text at all. I think this is because its significance is so palpable still to this day. Dante managed to fully describe and capture an image of Hell, an image which has stuck with us to this day. I have to admit though, that I'm failing to fully see the connection between Dante's Inferno and the plague that scientist guy is going to unleash on the world. Especially considering the book's ending.

What prevents me from fully enjoying this book is the constant repetition at work. Through 2/3 of the book, Langdon is running around not knowing what the hell is going on. He doesn't remember anything from what happened to him. And while this is all fine and well, there's so much mention of the fact, so much build-up, so that when the big reveal finally happens, it's all pretty underwhelming. I'm just bored and this point and want it to be over with.

This isn't my favourite Robert Langdon book, but I'm glad to see him still alive and kicking
on 2 July 2014
Not my favourite Dan Brown novel. Dan Brown is clearly very knowledgeable about Florence, but his (seemingly) never-ending detail, sometimes about the areas the characters are just passing through, slows the action and can become tedious. [If I want a travel book that's what I'll buy!]! Having said that, the concept of the story is extremely thought provoking, and when turning the last page, it's impossible not to think.... "what if ........"
on 4 July 2017
Not one of Dan Browns best books. Good storyline but a bit of an anti climax at the end. Too much sightseeing stuff although I must remember to visit Florence next time in Italy.
on 4 March 2017
Has all the expected Brown elements to keep you turning the pages. Having read most of the other books some years ago it was definitely a good move to leave a gap before getting to this one as I enjoyed it more than expected. Now onto the film to find out about that controversial changed ending!
on 16 January 2014
This book is typical Dan Brown moving at a hundred miles per hour, gripping, informative, well articulated but somehow excessively fictional with no inkling given as to why the shade chose to provide the clues enabling his mission to be tracked and potentially foiled, it was reminiscent of the much abused scenario of the good guy being spared for later,enabling the tables to be turned and the bad guy being thwarted.