Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 20 May 2013
When you hear 'Daft Punk', the first thing that comes to mind is that classic vocoder, the heavy-hooking melodies, the pounding rhythmic beat of the drums to the modular synths in the background. Random Access Memories is, without a doubt Daft Punk, but it's a sign of how the group is evolving. The signature sound is still there, but don't expect this to be a hard electro, hard pumping album.

Random Access Memories knows what it is, and Daft Punk knew what they were making when they were making it. This album brings feeling back into music. It brings back that human, natural emotive sensation you get when you listen to a song that's been constructed with all the finest details considered. 'Get Lucky', a song that we're now all too familiar with, took 18 months alone to create.

A lot of people say that this album is 'Too much collaboration, not enough Daft Punk'. But if you think this, you're missing the point. Daft Punk have hidden their identities. They want to be about the music. They want to create something real and different and they're well capable of creating tracks like 'One More Time' again. But this album has a touch of class, it's so refreshing. I has the modern feel with the subtle tang of those delicious 80's guitar licks, the soulful vocals and smooth basslines and drum beats. It has that incredibly cool Daft Punk vibe about it, but it's something different and it's something I love. Great album.
77 comments| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2013
Don't normally write reviews, but feel I should put my thoughts down.

I have followed Daft Punk since the early days, nobody can argue that they have always produced a stimulating experience with their recordings.

With RAM they have produced an album of pure quality. The recordings sound alive and luxurious. To my ears, it seems like the natural progression from the previous three albums, from guys of around my age.

There is a detail and balance in the recordings, which I have not experienced from a new release for some time. At the same time it is audacious, schizophrenic and bonkers but still hangs together.

The art of correct track running order is back with a vengeance.

This album bucks the trend (which I have also found myself joining in with) of music fans getting instant gratification from quick downloads of single tracks. This is a complete album, it needs to be given respect and listened to as a whole. It builds and drops, ebbs and flows, and in the end leaves you feeling satisfied, like you've have a good musical meal.

This album is not only an anthology of dance/funk/disco, it is an anthology of all music and if you like, understand and appreciate music and the concepts behind it, then you should love it.

After streaming it free on iTunes last week and enjoying the "live" sound, I even decided to buy this one on vinyl, which I haven't done for years.
on 16 January 2016
I bought this album because I like some of their stuff but very much because Stuff's website lists it amongst 30 albums for audiophiles and I've recently become a little bit of one of them. It doesn't disappoint - or hasn't me. They recorded with real instruments not keyboard created ones, used excellent musicians not simply average session ones and for example guest appearances on more than one track from Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers. The description on Stuff's website describes it as a love letter to disco and I like energising music but I think it's more.

Knowing Daft Punk through one other album and radio played singles I actually expected something more dancey across whole album but there are some genuinely mellow tracks and love songs. My old headphones were good but falling apart and I chose to get a studio quality pair (Beyerdynamic DT770 if you're interested) and recently got my first headphone amp. If you don't know what they are or if worth getting one, google them. I got an entry level Fiio A3 and only a small difference but I can hear the difference. Definitely worth looking to get it if you use an ipod or phone a lot. So hence me calling myself a bit of an audiophile. The sound quality is like thousands of pounds worth of hi fi according to the magazines and I can't afford that in a hi fi but in my humble opinion it seems like it - a very different and much much better listening experience.

At age 46 I don't often buy albums now; have eclectic tastes including things like this which give me energy and well recorded (for example an Arcade Fire album I really like but sounded like it was recorded in a small padded bathroom or something on my previous £120 speakers!) through to bits of classical and I've not regretted buying this on Stuff's recommendation. Really very good for a number of reasons.
on 21 May 2013
hi I'm tom (age 17). In early February 2013 I heard of the name daft punk but I didn't get in to the music at the time but after listening to ONE MORE TIME I fully researched and listened to daft punk's homework then discovery then human after all and lastly alive 2007.

HOMEWORK: I really thought this was good as it had the acid house and electro with funk, my favourites on this album would be:
.da funk
.oh yeah
.high fidelity
.daftendirekt
.Rollin' and scratching
.around the world
.indo silver club

DISCOVERY: this was a close one as I do prefer this one to homework, it is very electro pop'n'party, because it had my favourites:
.one more time
.aerodynamic
.harder better faster stronger
.short circuit
.high life
.superheroes

HUMAN AFTER ALL: I know that there had been lots of mixed reviews on this album but I listened to it a few more times and the songs do grasp you, the ones that had to grow on me and didn't feel to do anything was the 'BRAINWASHER' and 'STEAM MACHINE' as it was disturbing and scary, my favourites on this album though:
.robot rock
.human after all
.television rules the nation
.technologic

ALIVE 2007: I can not fault or say my favourite tracks on this album because it was my favourite album and all the songs are epic and tune-erific, by far the best album, even better than RANDOM ACCESS MEMORIES, but let's get on to that below
( see below)

RANDOM ACCESS MEMORIES: this came to me on the 21st may 2013, and after listening to all tracks it is a real change to the other albums but that's a good thing and it's really good, it had soul,electro,jazz,funky vibe,very unique, my second favourite album to alive 2007. my favourites on this album are:
.give life back to music
.within
.lose yourself to dance
.get lucky
.doin' it right
.contact

I hope this review was helpful from a 17 year old's point of view, helpful from the
tracks you might accept in all the albums thank you and buy this album!!!!!!!!x
love you daft punk and daft punk buyers and fans!
review image review image review image review image
on 1 July 2013
I first heard the Get Lucky track on LL's show on Radio 6 music and consequently decided I wanted to hear all the tracks and see what all the fuss was about. Generally, I would say 75% of the tracks are really good especially the one that tells you how the synthesizer music was brought to life in Germany. Once you hear Georgio talk about how he thought about the music of the future and then think about all the bands that use a synthesizer you'll be going "Ahhh, so it's all down to him".
on 20 May 2013
I'm a huge fan of Daft Punk and have been for the past decade or so. It's been a long wait for us since Human After All was released back in 2005 to mixed reviews but I have to say it's been 100% worth it. This is not only the best album of the year but a strong contender for album of this century!!
Every track on this stunning album is mesmerising with it's tune playing through my mind for the rest of the day. The album, however, is a definite change for the duo, and a bold one at that. Stepping away from their electro house past of Homework and Discovery and moving towards a genre that I don't think can be defined. The only way I can describe it is 70/80s jazz funk from an alternate universe!
This is a bold step as it has the potential to alienate their loyal followers who love their old styles but I believe Thomas and Guy-Manuel have pulled it off it an incredible fashion.
If you begin RAM with expectations of those 'classic' Daft Punk tracks you've loved over the past 20 years then I'm afraid you'll most likely leave disappointed. Many people say "This isn't what I was expecting" or "this isn't like Daft Punk". But you can't anticipate what they'll do; Discovery was nothing like Homework and Human After All was a world away from both.

I would say that this album is 'different' which is exactly what music today needs, the whole album is basically a message telling us how today's music is made on laptops in bedrooms, not on instruments in studios. Whilst this may be all well and good the music of most DJs lacks heart and soul. Luckily Daft Punk have put enough soul into RAM to compensate. Every track feels so heartfelt, as though you can heart the effort that went into producing them.
My recommendation would be at least 3 play-throughs of the whole thing before you make a decision as some songs, esp. Contact, Touch and Giorgio by Moroder are very alternative and don't quite make a good impression until their 2nd or 3rd listening.
All in all this is an astounding album which can be enjoyed by old and new fans alike, just don't expect a remake of Discovery or you'll be sorely dissapointed.
on 25 May 2013
Superb. Mature. Soulful. Funky and lots of moog modular synthesizer. And no compression/loudness war ruining it. Old school disco with daft punk twist. Sound quality is audiophile. Excellent recording techniques good bass extension crystal clear. If your over 40 you will get it. If your under 25 perhaps not. Children love it. Its time pop music grew up again and daft punk has reset the bench mark. No duff tracks, a tour de force of intellegent witty and full of humanity. Recommended especially if you have high end stereo or top headphones.
55 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2014
As a huge Daft Punk fan I cannot say that this is an impartial review but for me the album is an instant classic and will be something you listen to for decades to come. Daft Punk seamlessly blend a retro vibe with contemporary song making and a huge list of ensemble artists and live musicians to "Give life back to music". Taking its cues from electronic music but ditching the synths and drum machines of the past, Random Access Memories is a polished gem of music production.

But its not everyones cup of tea, and not every Daft punk fan's either!

If Discovery is your favourite daft punk album, you'll like this a lot! If "Digital Love" is your favourite Daft Punk Song then you will LOVE this album.

However if you are a big fan of Daft Punk's "Homework" album then this might not be the one for you. Listen to the previews and Judge for yourself.
THE GREAT:

1. Give Life Back To Music - A definite dancefloor filler full of funky rhythms and those trademark robotic vocals. A great album opener that hits you right from the start with its climatic intro and doesn't give up until the end. 5/5
3. Giorgio By Moroder - The albums most ambitious, layered song that delves into a variety of sounds very successfully. It begins with an interesting narration from Giorgio Moroder before a funky backing cuts in. Then things take a turn into unmistakeable Daft Punk territory with an extremely catchy synth riff which stays around for most of the remainder of the song. We then head into a section with jazz piano and guitar before an orchestral breakdown...and that's when things really get exciting. This song could do with editing down as it slightly fizzles out before the end but this is an excellent song for the most part. It is however, not a song i would revisit as much as the others due to the length and the narration. 4/5
4. Within - A slow paced, melancholic soft pop number with robotic vocals and twinkly piano lines. The chorus is gorgeous. The only slow paced song on the album that i really liked. 4/5
5. Instant Crush - Slightly downbeat in tone with a chugging guitar and thoughtful synths and the robotic vocals go well with the song. The chorus is really great. It does sound like a Strokes song which is no coincidence since their singer, Julian Casablancas, does the vocal duties. 4/5
8. Get Lucky - An absolute belter. Utterly infectious and Pharrell William's vocals go really well with the song. 5/5
12. Doin It Right - Bound to be a huge hit. The robotic hook and Panda Bear's vocals mesh together to make a really uplifting song. One of the albums best alongside Get Lucky. 5/5

THE OK:

6. Lose Yourself To Dance - Another funky guitar tune. Not as good or immediate as Live Life Back To Music or Get Lucky but still a decent song despite being slightly monotonous and lifeless. It just kind of plods along although the robotic vocals liven things up a bit when they kick in. 3/5
7. Touch - The strangest song on the album. Very theatrical with grand chord changes, a childrens choir and a big buildup. It does take a while to get going but once it kicks into gear it becomes very joyous and incredibly uplifting with a refrain of 'if love is the answer then hold on, hold on'. I would give it a higher score if the intro was trimmed down a lot. 3/5
10. Motherboard - A gorgeous instrumental. I would describe it as dreamlike. Loses steam towards the end though 3/5
13. Contact - A big number powered by icy, bittersweet keyboards and NASA dialogue during the intro. A mixture of prog rock and dance. The song has a very triumphant, determined feel about it. Gets very exhilarating during the middle when things get super charged but is let down by a bloated, elongated ending filled with feedback noises which i'm sure was there to add a certain character to the song but i found it a tad dull. I have to say that the song would have more impact if it was played without live instruments and had a bit more of an electronic beat. If it was made during the Discovery album i'm sure i'd like it more. A satisfactory closer nonetheless. 3/5

THE BAD:

2. Game Of Love - A slow paced number with a sensual air about it with its clipped funk guitar, echoing keyboards and yearning robotic vocals. Very ordinary and lacks a decent chorus. The first song on the album that outstays its welcome. 2/5
9. Beyond - Laid back funk tune with robotic vocals mostly propelled by a catchy bassline. I myself found it very boring and felt like skipping for most of the song. There isn't much energy there which is a problem when the music is so uninspiring. The orchestral intro was a bit misjudged too although it was brief. 2/5
11. Fragments Of Time - Upbeat mid tempo pop number again mostly powered by a bassline. The chorus has a certain charm to it with its wonky synths and the pace picks up near the end before the final chorus but apart from that it's really nothing special and not something i'd want to revisit. 2/5

Summary: Contains some excellent tunes and teeters on the edge of being a real must own album but is let down by a few of the slower numbers towards the end and a few songs could have been edited down slightly. But apart from that, this is an exceptional pop/dance album and is sure to go down as one of the most assured, ambitious, eclectic and downright enjoyable albums of 2013.
77 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 May 2013
When I first heard this, I honestly didn't quite understand what direction Daft Punk were going in. But you have to listen to it all the way through, to truly understand it's genius.

If, like me, you're fed up of shallow 21st century pop music with no heart or soul, with people dominating the top 40 who look like Satanists, singing about being a cannibal, dying young, bad romances and good girls gone bad (Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, Rhianna etc, I'm looking at you) where pop music is Satanically dark, singing about being possessed by demons whilst wearing outrageous outfits that always seem to resemble the Baphomet symbol and showing off devil horns etc, then this is the album for you.

It's how pop music really should be. It should make you feel good, put a smile on your face, and make you want to go out and party and celebrate with friends, or just to cheer you up at home to chill out to (just to get the record straight here, my favourite bands are Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode, and whereas their music may do well commercially, it falls into a separate genre of 'dark art pop'). And, you can tell, it's also required a hell of a lot of hard work and effort to make it. Back when, you know, bands like Kool and the Gang were doing stuff like 'Celebration' with catchy riffs, vocals, and simple lyrics. This has that same vibe of being ridiculously upbeat. And a similar sound. But it's still Daft Punk.

RAM is an unbelievably feel good album. It's almost therapeutic. It harkens back to the good old days of how top 40 pop music used to sound like. It puts a wiggle in your stride, a smile on your face, and a sense of joy back into the modern world of pop. Sorry for repeating that, but it really is the best way to sum it up.

And it actually gets better with each listen. You notice it has love, soul and hope, which is something much needed in these dark times. It actually has HEART.

As for the hype, I never realised there was so much hype. I don't follow Daft Punk like I used to, I found Human After All a disappointment, but LOVED the Tron Legacy soundtrack (not the film though, it was rubbish), in fact, I never even knew the album was out. I avoid hype as much as possible, it really destroys your expectations. I really liked the catchy single 'Get Lucky', but it segues so perfectly into this record (after album highlight 'Touch'), you groove to it, but barely notice it. So perfect for parties.

I still think Discovery is my favourite album, perhaps because it brings back so many good memories, but RAM really isn't too far behind. In fact, listening to it, it kind of brings back memories of when I used to listen to Discovery, so I guess it must be doing something right. Shame I'm over a decade older!

This is the feel good album of the year (so far, though it's hard to imagine one that could possibly lift you up better on those dark days), and perfectly timed for what could be a long, beautiful summer.

Brilliant stuff.