on 4 January 2014
Ordered as a christmas present. Arrived on time and as detailed. Took a little while for my son to work out how to build it but other than that it was fine as I always buy something to build every year! Although we haven't got the solar panel to work but did work with a battery!
on 12 January 2014
This was a very successful Christmas present for grandson aged almost ten. Not a lot of sunshine around to power it but a bright torch works very well. He absolutely loved it!
on 17 August 2013
This was bought as a gift for my 10 year old nephew. He's really pleased with the robot and there are a lot of parts to put together. The delivery was very quick and arrived in time for his birthday. Would recommend. Thank you
on 28 April 2014
Presents that don't work are always deeply disappointing. This one looks cute but does nothing. I have scientists (to professorial level!) in my family, and none of us could make it work. Waste of money and disappointing for my son who had been looking forward to building it.
on 8 February 2014
Nice enough kit to build, but only works if in direct bright sun light, or 10cm under a 50w bulb. The solar panel is not powerful enough to run any of the kits indoors and unless its a bright clear day, you can forget using it outside. Shame really, as it looked really great.
on 15 April 2014
Could not get gear box sections to engage with sufficient grip to turn when carrying full weight of robot. Shame because the robot bodies are interesting and fun to build but it isn't going to move anywhere. Waste of my son's carefully saved pocket money.
on 15 October 2014
Sounds a great idea in theory - and it should be. Having watched my scientific 12-year-old daughter at work with it, though, I would doubt the "4 and up" tag unless you as a parent are expecting to do the assembly yourself - she found it challenging enough.

Unfortunately, however, once she had assembled the gear box and solar cell, it just didn't work. Although there was current coming from the solar cell (I checked with a voltmeter), the gears just wouldn't move, and when I disassembled the gear mechanism to check it had been assembled correctly, one of the wires (which was glued on rather than soldered on) fell out. Having checked with a battery and careful holding that the motor itself works, I'm now going to have to find someone with a soldering iron to repair it before there is any chance of it working.
on 9 January 2016
My daughter loves this. She saw it in Waterstones and wanted to buy it with her Christmas token, but Waterstones send 'No! Books only', so they've lost a sale and we've bought it £5 cheaper on Amazon.
Why I've given it 4 stars instead of 5 is that the made up model is smaller than my iPhone 5. Fun though.
on 4 January 2014
We bought this for my fourteen year old son. He has made a few of the different robots now and really likes it.
on 5 June 2016
My 9 year old son asked for this as he's science and robot daft. I was a bit unsure about it being so cheap and when it arrived I was expecting to end up binning it because the first thing I saw was sheets of "cut out" plastic pieces, a bit like an airfix kit. But my son has experimented and made a few of his own designs now and loves the solar panel. Of course you need quite bright sunshine to make that work so he ends up taping the cables to a battery (AA) quite often.
So anyway, for the price it's definitely worth it for a child who has an interest in building robots (and a bit of patience)