on 8 March 2015
I visited Napa/Sonoma a couple of times in the 90s and last in 2005. I live in Paris (France) and my wife used to work with Stephen Spurrier, hots of the (in)famous 1976 'Paris tasting'. So I have a lot of interest in Californian wine and wine in general, but admit to a European palate. As such, theer are a few Californian wines that I have loved over the ages, but increasingly I find most wines too alcoholic, facile and heavy. When I was last there, the Russian River was THE place, but now it seems to teh the (real) Sonoma Coast... To be honest I dont really know what to buy and even less so when I look at the prices...
Bonne's book is a breath of honest, fresh air. I enjoy his column in Decanter magazine, but this is far better. It is a work of serious journalism, and really well written, something that sadly cannot be said so often about many recent wine books. It gives a fascinating history and insight into how California became what it is now - the good, the bad and sometimes the downright ugly. But above all the book is passionate about the good without being aggressive about the presumed bad. Bonne has strong and well founded opinions which are calmly put across, unlike other recent books which seem to degenerate into a hate diatribe against Parker and co who seem to stand accused of all the evils of the wine world. No, here is a book that explains and probes and comments, without aggression or angst. As such it is a great read and extremely instructive.
I admit that what he writes strikes a strong chord with my personal preferences in wine and maybe my prejudices, and that I am pleased to see some of my olf favourties like Calera and Ridge feature highly. But I am also excited (well until I see teh state of the euro against the US$!) to learn about some of the newer wave wineries and grower-winemakers who seem to be crafting wines that respect where they come from as well as respecting the intelligence and palate of the end consumer...
I read a lot of wine books, but this is the best I have come across in a good while. His last section is full of suggestions of what to buy nowadays, and I am keen to get across to the US and pick up some of these bottles to try.
Great writing and full of sense, history and taste.
on 4 December 2013
Nothing to say but great. On time. Great packaging. As always. Even earlier than what they sad when I bought it.