on 12 August 2008
Social stories are an invaluable tool for explaining social situations, rules and conventions to an ASD child. However, this book does not do the subject justice. In my opinion this book does not explain the concept of social stories clearly, nor does it make it clear how a story may be written and tailored to the needs of an individual child. This book may of course be aimed at childcare professionals but as a parent I found the following book much more helpful and most importantly useable: Writing and Developing Social Stories: Practical Interventions In Autism by Caroline Smith (also available on Amazon).
11 Comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 October 2017
A+++++++++++
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 February 2005
My son is 6 years old with high functioning autism. I found this book extremely helpful. He struggles with all issues around personal hygiene and general domestic stuff like eating at the table etc. I typed up the stories relevant to him and used the great pictures to create his own social story book. I changed some of the wording to be less american but apart from that I found the stories easy for him to understand and they've proved to be revolutionary. He is now having his toenails cut and his hair without fuss and actually asks to read the story whilst this is being done. As a parent I cannot praise this book enough - I wish I'd bought it 2 years ago!
11 Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 May 2016
Shame that it's not made clear that the stories use US English. Not helpful.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 February 2015
I think these stories are a bit dated. I also think there are more relevant things kids need to know. Someone has recommended the newer book but I"m slightly reluctant to get it without a proper look through.
on 14 June 2013
A perfect handbook for use when working with children who have Autism. I have used the book as essential reading for students who want to work with children who have special needs. It is not only been a good tool for children with Autism but works equally well with any child who has difficulties in social situations.
on 15 October 2009
Social stories are a brilliant idea - but they need to be personalised for the child -
I was hard pushed to find one I could use.
Save your money and go on the NAS website, read the guidelines and create your own
social stories.
on 29 January 2009
I was told about social stories but unless you have been shown one and had it explained then you really dont understand how to do one. I found this book to be a real help as my daughter has the speech of a 2 year old and finds it very frustrating when she cant communicate properly. This book has been a blessing in disguise as both my son and daughter are on the autistic spectrum so it means I can use the social stories for them both, they need adapting to suit the situation but I found that it is a good teaching aid for parents, the children usually like doing their own one to show me that they understand what has been said.
on 8 March 2014
I have used this book at school with a boy I work with and it has helped him make sense of the world around him. Lots of my colleagues who also work with children with special educational needs have also used it and said it has really helped them.
on 30 August 2011
I bought this book to read with my rising five grandson. I really couldnt see the value of it. He is very aware of washing and toilets and baths etc but just won't use any of these facilities. to read in this book that it is an 'intelligent' thing to do is a concept completely beyond him. As mentioned before, perhaps the book is for professionals who can tailor things to the individual child concerned. I would like to see a DVD made, where favourite characters (like Georgie Pig, or Lightning McQueen) take baths and go to the toilet. I think this would have much more influence and effect on my grandson, who loves to copy speech and behaviour from TV characters.