on 29 July 2017
This is fascinating as a beginner gardener - for inside the home and out. Modern, inspiring ideas with fascinating references to food/herb growing and preparation in other countries. I disagree with the Jamie Oliver comment from another reviewer, I don't particularly enjoy Jamie Oliver's stuff. The writing style is informal but I like it, not dry or patronising. It's to the point and, I think, written with the aim of giving practical tips and information. And more importantly, saving hassle! I now want to just dig up my lawn lol and grow electric daisies! I've also got James Wong's most recent book about Eating well, I love it.
on 28 April 2017
Just love all his books. Not many people get excited about plants, health and 'drugs' as I do.
on 28 August 2015
People need to read this and use it as a reference book. It's attempting to help people grow their own and I hope it succeeds.
on 15 June 2017
Great book. Lots of good advice. Arrived promptly and as described
on 28 April 2017
Excellent book - found some plants in it that I knew of but had not seen referred to in UK
on 15 June 2017
Very useful
on 7 October 2017
Great book, bought this after reading Wong's other books. Recommended :)
on 3 June 2015
We have a small courtyard garden which will no doubt feature heavily in future blog posts. As a biologist who works with crops and wildlife I've been trying to make our tiny space more productive. With limited space and only pots to grow in I've got one rule which we're trying to stick to - everything in the garden must be edible. This is surprisingly easy and this book has been extremely helpful and interesting with a clear layout, growing tips and recipes. The fruit and veg in this book are a bit different and often much more decorative than the turnips and cabbages most people grow in their veggie patch. Well worth a read if you're interested in gardening - surprisingly many common garden plants have some edible parts. I'm giving quite a few of these crops a go including popping corn, sweet potatoes, tea plants, cannas, guava berries and an assortment of edible flowers. Time will tell if I have anything to harvest later in the year.
on 14 September 2013
I ordered this book after discovering James Wong's new range of seeds in a garden centre earlier in the year. I'd become bored with the standard range of fruit and veg seeds out there and having a smallish sized garden I wanted to read about more exciting things to grow and maximise the use of the space we have.

This book has made me believe for the first time you really can grow so much in a small space and much more besides, as Wong explains so many of the plants and flowers we grow in this country can also be used for culinary use too, eg. fuschia berries, day lily shoots and even dahlia tubers as substitute potatoes (though I drew the line at trying the latter this year!)

So far we've grown cucamelons (really like mini water melons) and electric daisies which the kids have loved tasting - they really do have an 'electric' buzz! Friends have been intrigued and inspired too by seeing what we're growing and now want to try growing them too.

I've pretty much read the book cover to cover (it really is difficult to put down once you open the cover) and picked out so many new things to try next year!
on 21 February 2013
Bought as a gift for a friend who loves unusual veg lol! flicked through it and ended up keeping it for myself. Beats your boring letuce and toms. Great book, bravo James!