Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

Amateur genealogist, Peter Sefton, purchases a marriage certificate from an antiques centre. It catches his eye and he decides to try and find out more about the people who married in 1900 and their witnesses. This leads him to an unclaimed estate.

This book reminded me a lot of the TV programme Heir Hunters and in fact a firm of genealogical researchers does appear in the book. I loved how Peter dug deeper and deeper into the histories of the various people to eventually solve a mystery. This kind of genealogical fiction is right up my street and there aren't that many decent books like this one around.

There is the modern day investigation and also the story of Louisa and John, Rose and Frank in the early 1900s. If I had one complaint about this book it would be that the 1900s story has a very long section in the book which I think would have benefited from being broken up with a bit of the modern story, but once the story returned in earnest to the modern research the book just absolutely raced along and I couldn't put it down until it reached its conclusion.

An excellent read which will particularly appeal to those who enjoy modern history and family history research.
on 11 May 2017
I hadn't heard of this book before, but had seen that it came highly recommended from another genealogy fiction writer that I follow on Facebook. Everyone that had read it had said it was an excellent story, and they weren't wrong. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. I would definitely recommend this to other people.
on 17 April 2017
Though a story one would never know it was so factual in all the ways he solved the puzzle which has helped me in finding my own family pass.

I could not put it down I had to keep reading until the early morning.
on 25 April 2017
Enjoyed this book much more than I had expected. It's a great read and I couldn't put it down. I'm sure it will be enjoyed by anyone with an interest in family history; the details of the research are excellent. I became very involved with the characters and loved finding out all about them as the story evolved - I found it difficult to believe it was fiction.
on 23 April 2017
An interesting concept for a book, but the pace is very slow and the writing quite old fashioned. Female characters often 'sigh' and are frustratingly cliché. There is the odd twist but much of the book was too predictable and slow-paced for my liking.
on 14 June 2017
I couldn't believe how gripped I was by this book. It's a wonderful story and I simply couldn't put it down. Highly recommended.
on 28 October 2013
I would like to thank Peter from the "Lost Cousin" site for recommending, and Stephen Molyneux for writing this book.
Just loved it from beginning to end.
Anyone who is interested in Family Trees / History I am sure would enjoy this book as much as I did, as well as anyone who just likes a "good read"
on 15 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. I found myself totally immersed in the Victorian story, at the same time eager to uncover the truth behind the Wedding Certificate. It's a fascinating plot, with lives and events being revealed in a simple narrative style which I felt made it all the more realistic and emotional. I was impressed by the amount of research which must have gone into the book and how the author has managed to mix historical fact, human emotion and modern genealogical techniques into one brilliant story.
on 9 May 2013
Although not a thriller in the usual sense, I found it as gripping as one and didn't want to put it down! Interesting subject matter and a very welcome change from the usual topics books are written around. Thoroughly recommend it. A great read.
on 13 November 2013
I bought this book on a recommendation from an acquaintance.
While the subject matter was of interest initially the author soon got bogged down in detailed explanation, which became quite tedious after a while.
I found an error in this detail which then had me wondering exactly what else might be incorrect and in the end I gave up caring about the characters and the outcome. I persevered until the end but even the last minute "beat the clock" scramble left me cold.
On the whole this was an interesting plot idea that was suffocated by too much minutiae and poor execution.