Customer reviews

Style: Xonar U7|Change

on 26 February 2014
I bought this to improve my current set up which consists of my laptop being hooked up to my component hi-fi for sound, and TV for video. I mainly use it for streaming radio, and for watching TV. It definitely makes a difference. And the software that comes with it was an added bonus. Dolby Home Theatre V4 allows all sorts of refinements and has a 10 band graphic equaliser. I have no doubt that I'll be using this with more machines as I replace them over the years.

What ever you do, don't bother using the CD supplied to install drivers and software. They're outdated, and didn't install properly for me. Rather head over to the ASUS website for the most recent drivers.

Regarding settings, most audio tracks (except Audio DVD) are recorded at 16bit and 44kHz, so sampling at anything higher has a detrimental effect. In fact I've found that it tends to move everything up an octave or so. But by all means, try it out and play with settings till you find something that suits you..

There are cheaper DACs out there, and there are more expensive DACs speically for audiophiles. This is a nice middle ground.

*EDIT: I tried working the U7 via an active USB hub, and there was a definite reduction in sound quality. I then connected it to the laptop directly and everything was back to normal. Something to keep in mind I guess.
on 4 July 2017
Purchased mine after seeing many bad reviews stating it stops working after 6 months. Iv had mine 4 months and it's delivers dolby digital live which I needed for my Lucid Steel ls40 headset in order to achieve 7.1 dolby surround and iv had no problems with it whatsoever. This was the only external soundcard that I could find that offered dolby live and it does it flawlessly.
on 28 May 2017
WOW, just WOW
I got this to replace my old sound blaster 24bits external sound card and, what can I say?
The design is beautiful, practic and functional, I rediscover my HD 598 with it's incorporated DAC! and switching between my headphones and speakers it's never been so easy. (decent software)

I'd recommend it.
on 12 May 2017
Great quality sound. The only bad point i have is the lack of software that goes with this. If i knew i would not have purchased it.
on 8 August 2013
The Xonar U7 is a great bit of hardware especially for laptop users.
I decided to go for this card as the specifications looked great on the Asus website and fits my needs perfectly. I own the Aego M 2.1 speakers and a Sony Vaio F series Laptop. With a monitor, keyboard and mouse connected to the laptop at all times, it has become a desktop replacement. The U7 sits within hands reach for volume control and is a perfect addition to the desk. It has given a great boost in audio over the onboard laptop hardware, and is solidly built. I plan to buy a higher end set of headphones/headset in the near future, which the U7 will be able to accomodate. (EDIT: Bought the Sennheiser PC 360 Headset to accompany this - incredible jump in sound quality over plugging the headset straight into the laptop).

Things to know before purchase:

-This card is best suited (provides the most value) to a user who requires both speaker and headphone use - although not at the same time of course. There are other external usb soundcards that can serve the purpose of just headphone or speaker use.

-The headphone amplifier ranges from 32-150dB. This snippet of info was actually quite hard to find for me before purchase but shouldn't affect many users except for those with higher impendance headphones - the sort that would require a higher quality amplifier to get the most out of them anyway.

-If you are looking around the net or elsewhere on how to improve the sound quality of your music and have stumbled across soundcards and other hardware, before you jump straight to checkout try reviewing your music library first. The quality of the music being played can have a big impact on what you hear. Having your tracks in high quality MP3 (320kbps) or even better, FLAC/ALAC/WAV etc. may bring you the increase in quality you desire, without even touching your wallet. (instructions to improve your music library are easily found using a popular search engine on the net).

-Last but not least, as a GENERAL rule of thumb, if your speakers/headphones cost less than the soundcard, then it would be more worthwhile upgrading them, than the soundcard.

I probably have missed something of which I will add later. Just wanted to provide a quick customer review of this great product as there are no others out there yet!

PROS:

- Great increase in sound quality on my Aego M speakers over both my laptop onboard sound, and the X-Fi XtremeMusic card in my desktop.
- Master volume control very useful and accessible.
-Various outputs from the Xonar U7 and just a click of the button to switch between them.
-USB, easy plug and play and the Asus website makes it easy to update software.

The Xonar U7 is competitively priced and has a great range of useful functions and in the first few weeks of use I cannot find any cons for its price.

Any questions, just comment on this review.
88 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 May 2017
The sound is great but i now have a loud hissing through my mic that i din't have before. I use discord to talk to my mates and they say they cant hear it due to discord's auto noise/static reduction but i cant ever use my mic to record now. Video's with audio over are impossible due to the loud noise.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 August 2014
I bought it because I had a nice 5.1 speaker set and( got a 7.1 later on) and my laptop only supports stereo/2.1.

It's a pretty nice sound-card with all things considered. It gives clear sound and a decent amount of tuning however you should keep in mind it is made for PCs (no console support) and it has a... pretty weird plug layout. To use a 7.1/5.1 you have to use 2RCA and 2 auxiliary input ports rather than standard 3 or 4 Auxiliary ports you see on desktop PCs.

In other words, if you have standard 5.1 or 7.1 pc speakers you will probably need a phono to twin RCA cable.
on 26 August 2016
When it works it's great, just don't expect Windows 10 to recognize it, and don't expect ASUS to do anything about it. Oh and also while it's plugged in, don't even expect your PC to BOOT!

Wish I could get my money back but that time has passed, my whole time owning this product has been frankly frustrating.
on 1 November 2014
The ASUS Xonar U7 is a nice piece of kit, I wanted an external soundcard as I was concerned about reports of interference on the mic with internal cards, I haven't been disappointed. The sound quality is great and really brings my headphones to life, I also like having mic and sound volume controls on the box and you can conveniently switch between speakers and headphones by pushing down the volume knob. The main left/right speaker outputs are RCA style so you will need an additional cable if your speakers are 3.5mm like mine, this is cheap and easy enough to get.

It does exactly what I wanted and I would have given it 5 stars except it took hours to get working properly, now this isn't a fault with the Xonar U7 but more general problem with the whole concept of usb soundcards, I was getting popping and crackling on the audio and at first I thought the U7 was faulty, but trying it on my laptop showed no problems. After several hours of troubleshooting including the use of some advanced performance analysis tools I isolated the problem to my wifi card driver, which was causing delays for several ms for the usb controller (and several other devices) resulting in streaming audio dropping out and manifesting as pops and crackles.
Google "DPC latency" if you want to know what this is about, it can be a fairly common issue for usb sound devices and I recommend you test your DPC latency before buying a usb sound device, there are tools you can download to do this.
on 19 June 2014
I was looking for a usb sound card which will work both in windows and mac osx, the most important part is the volume control. I previously owned a creative sound blaster x-fi surround pro, that one is ok for win but in mac os x, the volume is not controllable.
I've looked into the decoding chip for U7 - CS4398 which is a top class dac, I'm so disappointed that the sound quality is not as good as creative sound blaster - CS4361. I feel bizarre when listening to the music. Maybe I'm not used to this kind of sound. My headphones is K551.

The knob is really good, you can adjust the volume with it in Win or OSX probably Linux. When you press it, it will switch between headphones and your speakers, it's really convenient.

5 stars.