on 24 September 2015
Runes is book 1 in a YA paranormal series which revolves around Norse Mythology. I chose to read this book from the #FridayFiveChallenge and have really enjoyed the mythology storyline.

Lorraine Cooper, or Raine to her friends is sweet sixteen and never been kissed. Eirik Seville has been her unofficial boyfriend forever, but they've never taken the next step. All this changes when Raine turns seventeen. Drop-dead gorgeous Torin St James is Raine's new neighbour who knows far too much about Raine and seems to have magical powers of speed and healing.

At school three new exchange students from Norway arrive, they have strange tattoos and Raine is targeted by them. Soon Raine is seeing runes around her, on her car, at school and they glow on Torin when his emotions are raised.

Torin's presence pushes Eirik's feelings for Raine into the open and they share their first kiss, but it's not Eirik whom Raine thinks about first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Intrigued by Torin, Raine seeks answers, but he is bound by a higher authority and cannot reveal the truth.

This was a great way to introduce readers to a new series, with new twists on a popular theme in this genre. I look forward to reading book 2.
on 21 July 2014
Create and collect all you know about Valkyries into your mind, got it? Now chuck it all out of the window. Ednah Walters has truly developed and indeed adapted their role and powers to fit into a rather engaging teenage romance with a good dash of runic magic, mystery and a bit of mayhem drama thrown in.

I don't usually read YA supernatural romances and I quite honestly didn't see the HUGE punch coming in at the end as the blurb and indeed the title don't indicate how much norse mythology you are going to get out of this story. And I am pleased to say I wasn't disappointed.

If you are fans of A.K Morgen's Ragnarok Prophesies featuring Dace/Ari/Freki/Geri or Amailia Dillin's Fate series featuring Thor/Eve then you will enjoy the Runes trilogy - yes there is more and I immediately downloaded not just Book 2 but also Book 3.
on 1 March 2015
Seventeen-year-old Raine Cooper has enough on her plate dealing with her father’s disappearance, her mother’s erratic behavior and the possibility of her boyfriend relocating. The last thing she needs is Torin St. James—a mysterious new neighbor with a wicked smile and uncanny way of reading her.

Raine is drawn to Torin’s dark sexiness against her better judgment, until he saves her life with weird marks and she realizes he is different. But by healing her, Torin changes something inside Raine. Now she can’t stop thinking about him. Half the time, she’s not sure whether to fall into his arms or run.

Scared, she sets out to find out what Torin is. But the closer she gets to the truth the more she uncovers something sinister about Torin. What Torin is goes back to an ancient mythology and Raine is somehow part of it. Not only are she and her friends in danger, she must choose a side, but the wrong choice will cost Raine her life..

*****UPDATE 01/03/2015*****

Re read for a review/refresh and fun!

Since I last read this book nothing has changed, its still the nail biting hold onto your seat while screaming why kind of book! Every page was like reading it for the first time all over again. The only thing I would change (If I could) is the rating (this book clearly deserves a more higher rating than 5 stars!)

I'm sat here trying to think of a way to explain why I loved this book ... Its harder than it sounds lol. I loved everything. Ednah Walters writing style is flawless combine that with a fast paced storyline, and a sexy mysterious guy next door you have a book that you will not want to put down..

WARNING ***
There is a cliff hanger.. I had to re read the last few lines over to make sure I read it right.. With an ending like that how can I not want to read more? Yup safe to say Runes left me begging for more!

Runes is a recommended read from me for all paranormal lovers it will not disappoint.
Runes was a quick, fun, easy read. I found the use of Norse mythology really interesting and unique. I hadn't come across it in a YA book before and it was fun to see how it was weaved into the storyline. I did find it difficult to get into the story, until the Norse theme was revealed I was a bit confused as to what was going on. Once the storyline became clear I really enjoyed how things unfolded.

My favourite character was Cora, she seemed the most real and down to earth person in the book and had a great snarky attitude that I loved. The main character of Raine interested me at first but as the story went along she did irritate me as she went from being a normal teen who was pretty unremarkable to suddenly always being desired and described as ethereally beautiful and otherwordly.

There is a love triangle which I didn't really enjoy due to Raine's indecision and lack of respect for her boyfriend's feeling but I enjoyed her relationships with both boys on their own.

There is a lot of mystery to figure out and I enjoyed how the book unfolded however I didn't understand how Raine's father could disappear in a major plane crash and nobody in town would know about it.

The book ends on a cliff hanger which will make readers be squealing to get their hands on the next book to see what happens next. I'd recommend this book to readers who enjoy paranormal romance.
on 30 October 2015
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

This was not my genre but I am enjoying the change it is refreshing to find authors who are able to totally captivate their audience via the excellence of their writing skills.
Raine's life would never be the same after Torin St James moves in next door. Her path in life is about to change in ways that she could never have imagined or believed. Raine has enough on her plate at the moment emotionally, is Torin about to help make things better or will things change for the worse.
Raine thought she was in love with Eirik, whom she had grown up with and become close to but soon found it was more a sibling kind of love. If you have never tried YA Paranormal before you are definitely in for a treat with this book.
Thank you Ednah Walters for opening my eyes to this exciting side to reading, I get to live the stories as I read x
on 28 February 2016
It's been a long time since I've read a paranormal YA series, and I have to say it doesn't disappoint. Ednah has created a fantastic world surrounding reapers and gods. I love the characters and their development. The book is fast paced with some twists and turns thrown in, enough to keep you wanting more. I'm hooked, and I'm now off to start book two. Brilliant job Ednah.
on 17 October 2015
I read this book over a year ago and im ashamed that i never wrote a review. This will be the start of an addiction to a series of books you get so engrossed in, the charactures become so real to you, the story lines pull you in so nothing outside the series exists while your reading and possible after. This Author never gets is wrong in my opinion ive read most of her books and never read one ive not been hooked on. This book is free so go on give it a try you wont be dissapointed.
on 31 May 2014
A good read, I really enjoyed the characters, albeit some of the story was predictable. If you like teen romance-fantasy you should enjoy this. I can't wait to read the next book and find out what happens to Raine
on 7 January 2014
My Thoughts - 5 out of 5 unicorns - I loved it!!
***Received ebook through Netgalley for an honest review

The cover is absolutely break taking and perfect, and I have eyed this series for a while. And when I saw it on Netgalley, I jumped at the chance to read it. I try to only select books that interest and intrigue me because there are tons of books out there, so why force yourself to read something that doesn't interest you. :)

Okay when I started reading this book, I liked it but thought okay this is a typical teen drama galore. This book totally snuck up on me and sucked me in where I couldn't put it down. I loved it so much I went and bought book 2 & 2.5 because I have to know what happens next. And I will probably buy book 3 too ;)

Raine is an awesome girl full of spirit who doesn't take anything from anyone, and you know this is my favorite type. I love my heroine is a warrior ;) So I totally fell in love with Raine, Cora, Eirik, and Torin. Raine's mom is a great character too, but she wasn't a main character.

Torin is this arrogant and sexy man who challenges all of Raine's beliefs and values and totally twists her up inside. Eirik and Cora are her best friends and stick with her through everything. This book has everything to keep your attention with magic, attacks, runes, a missing father, jealousy, and lots of action and drama.

I hoping that I can add this series to my classroom library when I can afford the print books :) I think the kids will love them :)
on 24 January 2014
17 year old Raine has a lot on her mind, with her father missing, presumed dead after a plane crash, and her romantic feelings for her best friend Eirik. But then a good looking boy, Torin, moves in next door, and she is drawn to him even though she can tell there is something different about him. After he saves her life from another supernatural person she gets curious about Torin. But with members of the swim team dying is she able to trust him?

Runes is an OK book but it reminded too much of Twilight. Also there is no explanation about what supernatural creatures they were until near the end of the book, and during the rest of the book not much happens.

I did not like Raine as she strung Eirik along even though she knew she was developing feelings for Torin, also she accepted magic way too easily and looked down on people. I am getting bored of the bad boy types with hearts of gold so I did not connect to Torin and whilst I like good guys I just found Eirik dull.

I had hoped that Runes would be a good book but I just could not get into it.