on 27 December 2013
Brought two for my children. Easy to set up and I can manage both. Devices on one parent account. With the bonus that apps I buy through the apps store can be applied to both devices
The device comes with a few apps pre installed and when connected to the PC. Leapfrog will give you a choice of one free app to download for device.
The apps can be expensive. But at the moment (dec2013) they are half price to buy the cartridges from amazon. Cheaper still if you are a prime member (free shipping). If you buy a downloaded app from the App Store they currently only offer a maximum of 30% off with three purchases.
Hopefully as the apps get more popular the price will come down.
Thee ebooks apps are expensive. From £3.50 to £5 and even £10 for some books.

In general the device is solid and has coped with a few bumps from the children dropping it accidentally.
I would recommend getting the gel skin to help provide a bit more protection and a case which can store and cartridges you may buy in future. I also purchased a car charger to keep it topped up for car journeys.
I will be buying headphones next as it can be a bit annoying listening to the music in the games. Although the volume control is very good and allows it to be lowered and muted. The kids keep turning it up though hence the headphones.
Glad I brought it.
on 14 May 2014
I bought this for my little girls 3rd birthday, She has now had it for 2 weeks, She is learning how to do things fairly quickly, Like writing - tracing letters with the stylus, You can download more Apps thru the Leapfrog website when the tablet is linked to your Laptop / Desktop via USB cable, Which is supplied with the tablet, Also having the " LeapPad2 Power" you get the rechargeable power pack, Very handy as the batteries should last about 9 hours before recharge.

You can get a good variety of different games from the likes of Disney, My little one has Doc McStuffins (Problem Solving), Minnie Mouse Bow-tique (Reading), Bubble Guppies (Science & Social Studies), Crayola Art Adventure (Creativity) Lots of learning, So many more to choose from, Its a good idea to keep an eye on the prices as the games I bought were all under £10, I would not pay any more than that, Finally the tablet itself has passed the "sturdy" test As it has been dropped a couple of times onto our laminate flooring from about 3 feet in the air.
One person found this helpful
on 14 January 2015
I purchased two of these tablets for my granddaughters age 5 and 7years for Christmas. They absolutely love them and play with them all the time. Their mum has a laptop and is able to link them to Leapfrog online to download apps and games easily. I did purchase cassette games from Amazon for them too, but they do come with games and apps already downloaded. These tablets are safe for children as they are not open to the website so better for young children. This particular tablet has rechargeable batteries and power cable so not too expensive as others to run I think each charge gives 9 hours of play. I also purchased at a great price - excellent Amazon.
on 26 September 2014
I bought this recently for my daughter's third birthday. It's the right age for her now but I wouldn't imagine it would be suitable for much younger. It can be easily personalised for the child. It comes with clear instructions as to how to connect and set up. You'll get a free game and art studio to download. I can see that it will continue to interest her for a while especially as she hasn't yet figured how to do everything even though she won't let me help! There's a pretty decent camera on there and it can also shoot video. The app store has loads of games according to age as well as videos and music. I can imagine you could spend a small fortune here. Fortunately credit can be bought as gifts and redeemed on the site.
on 12 April 2014
I bought this for my 3 year old daughter for Christmas last year and it was great, my daughter loved it with the Minnie mouse game I bought. its four months after xmas now and about two weeks ago it just broke, it came on for like a second then went off and didn't come back on. I tried to send it back but only to get a replacement but it said that I only had 30 days to return it and that ended 24 November 2013. the product itself is great, kept my daughter occupied for hours only bad thing is it broke for no reason and I cant send it back for replacement even though its only been four months.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 18 December 2014
I bought this for a friend's 3 year old daughter and she loves it. The hardware is low spec compared with a typical smartphone, but considering the cost they have packed an impressive amount of hardware into this thing, and things like screen resolution really don't matter to a 3 year old. The downside we found fairly quickly is that the apps and media you inevitably have to buy for it (because what you get for free isn't much) are eye-wateringly expensive compared to kids apps on the Apple app store for example, and when you consider that you can't try them out first to see if they're any good, it's easy to see how you could end up wasting a lot of money on apps for it that the kid doesn't use.

If I were to do this again, I'd look for something based on Android where economies of scale are more likely to keep app pricing to sensible levels.
on 1 October 2014
Excellent tablet for young kids. Bought it for my 3 year old. This one came with the power pack and I would not recommend buying the leappad without it as the power pack allows you to charge it as you would any other tablet or laptop. Normally the rechargeable power pack is sold seperately (which is rediculous). I also bought it on sale for £40. In my opinion kids toys shouldnt cost much more than this. All in all great for young kids, i dont know if an 8 or 9 yr old would be as impressed though, probably more for 3-6 yrs. Afyer that they'd probably want smth with wifi :-)
on 4 January 2014
Bought this for our 3.5 year old daughter for Xmas, to keep her occupied when we go to lunch or for coffee at the weekend. We were very impressed by all the reviews but have to say that upon our daughter using it and us looking to buy some games, it is all VERY American, with strong American accents and phrases, and we are reluctant to buy any of the games we have seen so far as 1 they are so expensive! 2 there are not that many for the age 3 bracket and 3 there is not a "Jolly phonics" app/game which is what our daughter is learning at school, and we don't want to confuse her. Also there doesn't seem to be any warning when the battery is getting low, it just suddenly switches itself off.

All of this said it does do the job and just about keep her occupied when needed, we're just disappointed we didn't do a bit more research into it before buying.
on 31 May 2014
Bought for my daughter, she loves it!! Its very educational too, she has been learning quite a lot on it, reading, counting etc only negative is, it went off few weeks ago & I had to plug in my laptop to update, instructions not very clear & then messed up settings on my laptop!!! Apart from that though, is great purchase.
One person found this helpful
on 30 October 2014
Only downside to this is that they make you buy the music library to store your own songs on. Having spent £49.99 I expected it to be there as standard. My princess won't get to listen to her songs now until she is back in the car.

Hasn't been played with yet as again a Christmas pressy. I start early to pay less :)