on 7 August 2013
Any budding musician, songwriter or recording artist should listen to this album, which is a glowingly impressive example of how to craft an excellent collection of songs using a huge range of production techniques, orchestration and arrangements, without ever once making the end result sound cluttered. If you enjoy recording and making music you will love Vampires of the Modern City which is absolutely crammed with a vast array of colourful sounds and which is both a joy and great fun to behold. Man of many fine recordings, producer Ariel Rechtshaid has done an absolutely superb job on creating this gem of an album. Ya Hey!
on 13 May 2017
A third good album by one of the best, and most original, bands of recent times. This is not a classic, and not as good as Contra, but still much better than 99% of other rubbish out there right now. My five star rating is generous compared to Contra, but is relative to all the other albums out there right now that I have listened to.
on 11 May 2014
I loved both previous albums (Vampire Weekend and Contra) with all tracks on both albums firmly in my top rated playlists. This album is not as consistent. I love Diane Young, Ya Hey, Finger Back, Worship You and Unbelievers. Diane Young is probably in my top 10 tracks ever.
However, Hudson is awful (1-star - firmly flagged for deletion if I run short of disk space.) and six other tracks I gave 2 stars, meaning I never want to hear them again.
I thought of gong back to listen to them again so I could write a more in depth review, but instead I have just put the five 5-star tracks on repeat. Life is too short to listen to music you hate.
on 14 October 2013
I don't really subscibe to the view that VW have 'matured' with this album. In fact I don't really understand that point of view at all. This album is darker than the previous two released by the band. Gone are the feel good African rhythms and melodies which is a shame because those ingredients were the reasons for providing the 'colour' in the bands sound. Combine that with the 'chirpy' and rather 'cheeky' vocal delivery and you have a good blend when adding the often complex 'electrical' keyboard arrangements.

Modern Vampires of the City doesn't really get going the same as the other two albums. After many plays it still has the VW charm and quirky vocal delivery but the feel good element has been replaced by darker elements - still good, but I prefer the fuller more balanced sound of their previous attempts.
on 5 September 2015
Almost a good band... but much better live without all that electronic s*** which they don't need as proved when they perform live. Also need some better lyrics in places. Disappointed as they are very promising.
on 24 July 2013
Following the success of their previous work, I can say that Vampire Weekend have produced something that outshines the already gleaming albums. I am at a loss as to what they will move onto.
A brief hiatus in which I presume many people were desperate to learn of their direction, MVOTC provides us with a sound that is more mature, yes, but still pays its dues to the preppy image that originally captured audiences. Lyrically, I believe that this is the strongest album as of yet, and the LP is divine (mine came with a CD and poster with the lyrics printed on the back, always helpful- especially with the likes of Finger Back!).
My favourite track has to be Obvious Bicycle; I have dubbed it as both my mantra and anthem.
on 29 July 2013
Following on from Contra, this album sticks to the slightly eccentric form that is the hallmark of Vampire Weekend from my perspective. Plenty of good tunes on there and I look forward to playing it over and over, discovering new bits in the songs each time.
on 14 July 2013
I needed to catch up with VW's latest outing as I'm going to see them in November; It's reassuring to note that they're as quirky and unconcerned with current trends as they ever were, music doesn't have to be aggressive and tuneless to be memorable!
on 3 July 2013
For a long time I put off buying this band's work because they were called Vampire Weekend and I didn't want anything to do with the whole Twilight, Emo, Vampire-Tween scene. However, it's just a name and this band are brilliant.
on 7 March 2016
Why did they bring out this weird album, get back to the happy summer tunes!