Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 13 July 2011
A huge Zeppelin-sized shape may cast its considerable shadow over Southern Californian outfit Rival Sons, but much like The Virginmarys this quartet's brand of dynamic Hard-Rock is more of a celebration of rock `n' roll's glory days than a mere copy -- it's `rhythm and blues played with danger` as one band member so aptly puts it. 'Pressure and Time' is their new 12-track album which is set to issued by Earache Records on June 20th. It's a bluesy, groove-laden LP full of dynamic riffs, muscular percussion and rock swagger.

Frontman and Jim Morrison lookalike Jay Buchanan possesses a confident grit-infused classic rock pitch and the band play with real desire, as if their lives depends on it. There's nothing better when a band can effortlessly hit their stride like this, distilling all that we love in a rock `n' roll group, Pink Floyd collaborator Storm Thorgersen provides the artwork for the LP, while the band are booked for both the Sonisphere and High Voltage festivals which I'll be attending and very much looking forward to on the basis of this excellent record.
VINE VOICEon 20 June 2011
I first came across this band with a free 6 track EP with Classic Rock and this album is an excellent continuation and development of that. If you like Led Zeppelin, Free , Bad Company then you should go for this - but its not a re-tread of their music. There is an energy and riffing that is impressive, and its not a million notes a minute like you can get - but its full on rock music, something that I thought was a thing of the past
The album gets off to a cracking start with All Over the Road - the first three are full on , then Only One slows things down. I really liked the 'Burn Down Los Angles' track (I think someome had a bad time there ..) and then it full on until tyhe gem at the end of the album, Face of Light. This is a lot lighter song about a boxer (neat trick to do that ..) and not what I expected at all.
So these guys are not the expected riffing all the way and I think such a great new find - and then I find they are playing my home town 6 days before my birthday - how good is that !
Crank it up - you'll love it
on 29 June 2011
I have to agree with most reviewers about the quality of this album: it is stunningly good and mature!
This said, and even if the band clearly shows Zep influences, it is definitly a product of its time and no 70's nostalgia act despites its 70's instrumentation and sound. The zep influence is big but there's even a bigger 60's american garage rock feel to it and the main similarity for me would be with the likes of At the drive-In and Wolfmother (both also influenced by the 70's) and even sometimes The Black Crowes. I'd say that the album has a strong american feel to it.
Rival sons has that 60's/70's vibe but definitly sounds "modern"-again more in the approach than in the sound- as oppose to bands like Graveyard or Blood Ceremony and yet far from bands like The Answer or Black stone Cherry, who sound "too" modern to fully revive the 70's vibe.
Also, I don't think Rival sons could have sounded the way they do had they not been influenced by what was going on in the 90's (again Black Crowes, Pearl Jam,...).
Therefor I truely believe that this makes it even more of an interesting album.
So definitly a winner, but maybe not for those who expect a carbon copy of Sabbath, Purple or Heep releases.
Okay, so this might not be the most original album you will have heard, but since when has that been a crime? Everyone raved about Amy Whitehouse even though there was nothing original on her albums, but what she did she did very well. And the same applies here. So what if the title track sounds as though it could have come off Led Zeppelin I, or if there is more than a touch of Free and Bad Company to many of the other tracks, they do it all with such verve and confidence they just pull it off effortlessly. All the tracks are short, sharp, catchy as hell and rock like a mother. I played it to my wife the other week and within twenty minutes she was up for coming to see them with Black Stone Cherry. It may only last 30 minutes but there's an awful lot of good rockin' packed into that 30 minutes, there is no flab here. If you're a fan of great rock music do yourself a favour and buy this album, you won't regret it.
on 15 March 2015
Amazing Album. If you like rock and after something new then buy. Im going to post this for all the Rival sons albums as I think these guys are something special. There is a lot of negativity about them sounding similiar to other groups from the past. Led Zep etc. but lets face it; if you dont like it, dont listen to it. Life is too short to be negative about something as simple as music. Use your energy to find something you like and enjoy it :-)
I love this band and love there (what I think) is a refreshing take and approach to rock music.
on 26 June 2011
I got this on the day of release but thought I'd wait a week to get thoroughly into it before reviewing it. Judged on it's own, this album is excellent, I really do like it. Judged against the band's first album and their recent EP it falls a little short. Like another reviewer says, it's too short. I see so much opportunity for some of the songs to be fleshed out a little bit which I feel woud've taken them to the next level. I feel like I'm just getting into a song and ready for an extended guitar solo, and then it ends. I also can't help wondering why they released the EP six months previous to this. If they had held back some of those songs for this album it would've been epic. I'm especially thinking of the song called "Soul" here. Still, at the end of the day I'm just nitpicking. I love the title track, "Young Love", and "Face Of Light" in particular.

If there's any justice this band has a great future ahead of them. There are the inevitable comparisons to Zeppelin thrown about which, from what I've read, annoys the band a little bit but on this album I don't really feel it. If anything, I hear a bit of "Mr Mojo risin" in this one which is no bad thing. All in all, Rival Sons have a great sound, a fantastic singer, and a fine album on their hands. I just hope the next one is little longer.
on 8 February 2014
this lot are rocking the wrong era, thank goodness. they would have given led zep a run for their money back in the day and we are fortunate to have them rocking our world now. Big riffs, great vocals and thumping tunes. awesome stuff.
on 13 August 2015
Brilliant album. Title track is awesome - timeless riff and Zep-sequel vocal. Rest of the album is quite different, but very good too - not a bad track on it. Good enough to make me buy their other albums!
on 4 September 2011
This is truly one of the best debut albums I have ever heard

Came across this band at this years High Voltage Festival saw a part set was impressed amazingly tight band for younguns!

Rocky rythmic bluesey all done with almost a southern blues Skynrd Swagger
while tipping the hat to Bad Co Early Zep Black Crowes etc

Saw the full set later that day as they filled in for someone else
knew I was buying the album as soon as was possible
There truly isnt a bad track on the album
on 21 June 2011
Hotly in line for my album of year this is a bona fide classic!

Rival Sons have been on my radar for sometime having listened to a lot of their earlier stuff on myspace and been mightly impressed. If you like classic 70's era rock ie Zeppelin, Free, Humble Pie, Yardbirds then you'e in for a real treat.

The new album is a revalation from start to finish. There are just too many highlights throughout but my personal faves are the title track Pressure and Time,the Zepplenesque Gypsy Heart and Burn Down Los Angles which has a White Stripes kinda garage feel to it. The production is also superb,sounds like it was all done on analogue tape and has that spine tingling vinyl groove, missing from most modern recordings. Can't wait to catch them live in July at the Borderline

Go out and buy it now you won't be dissapointed.