on 3 April 2014
I realy enjoyed this book, it kept me interested from the start.lt had some humorous moments that made me chuckle.Plenty of action and a good love story.Good read .
on 6 June 2013
I loved this book, was recommended it by a friend who has never failed to pass on great reads, and she was true to form. The atmosphere Lily Baldwin creates in this novel is superb, I was drawn in from the start. The main Characters Shoney and Ronan come from different worlds socially and yet each have a fierce sense of their identities and responsibilities. Shoney is a character who could come from any period in history, her bravery and loyalty shine through, but her struggles with her feelings are timeless. Ronan is a warrior, unashamedly male. Just the kind of leading man I like! His frustrations and passions bring him alive, and the pull of his duty versus love dilemma is explored cleverly. The supporting characters add depth and create a community I felt drawn in to, with Aidan (Ronan's best friend) adding humour and poignancy. This is a historical romance novel where the history comes naturally. Lily Baldwin's writing ensured the characters made me really root for them. Passions run high in this book, in love and in war. I am intrigued by the lead hinting at the next instalment, looking forward to reading more of the Clan MacKinnon.
on 20 May 2013
I absolutely loved this book. The main characters are compelling both as individuals and as a couple. Shoney, the beautiful 'Witch of Dervaig', has a fierce independence that's very contemporary, but her spirituality roots her in the novel's time and place (early medieval Scotland). Ronan, the son of the clan leader, is torn between his sense of duty and his love for Shoney, and this sense of duty is given real complexity and urgency through the real historical clan rivalries and battles with which he's concerned. I loved the depiction of friendships between men and between women, which makes the battle scenes so poignant... you really feel for the community as a whole and not just the lead characters throughout the book. There's just enough historical detail to make the story very real, but not so much that the plot (and characters) suffers. This is, after all, a romance novel, and an intelligent one at that, but the love story is at the heart of this novel. With this in mind, the sex scenes are passionate and erotic, as opposed to explicit.
The plot moves along at a very good pace, and I found myself reading well after my bedtime as I kept trying to read 'just one more chapter'! I ended up buying the paperback after reading the kindle version, as I wanted to keep this one to read and read again. I hope this isn't the last we hear from Lily Baldwin...what a treat!
on 8 August 2013
Great characters, ticks all the boxes for this type of genre.Lovely easy reading, perfect for relaxing on your summer vacation!
on 14 July 2013
I had not read anything by this author before but was intrigued by the synopsis -is this a debut novel? I really enjoyed this story, the development of the relationship between Shoney, who starts as a lonely outcast and Ronan a laird's son. I am looking forward to Lily's next book.
on 24 March 2015
Action, excitement and full of emotion, this is a great romance. An interesting plotline with plenty to keep the reader's attention. At times this is a simple love story, at other times it is atmospheric and dark, especially when the battlefield scenes are described.

Wonderfull characters who are so believable, they are strong, loyal and protective of each other. The interaction between all of them is engaging, but the chemistry between the hero and his heroine is off the scales.

Loved the humorous passages, the passionate interludes and the angst of the main protagonists. The innocence of Shoney and her way of life is effectively portrayed, as are the boundaries keeping Ronan from making her his.
This situation is so well written by Ms Baldwin.

Read and enjoy.
on 24 October 2013
Initially this book seemed to have an interesting story line but soon discovered the story and characters lacked any form of depth. The story line was vague and uninteresting, it does not keep the reader focused or hold any interest to the goings on in the book. I prodded on thinking it would pick up but eventually gave up half way through.
I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who likes a good story line with a strong interesting characters.
on 19 August 2013
I chose this based on other reviews giving it 5 Stars but I was left feeling a bit let down considering it puts this book in the same league as Kathryn Le Veque which, I'm afraid I don't agree with. It's a nice read but there's not really much in the way of developing the relationship between the two lead character's despite there being plenty of opportunity. It's a nice distraction for a few hours but don't expect much.
on 6 April 2014
Enjoyed this book, a bit slow at times but a good story. Was it poetic license that the Picts were blond? They are known to have been very dark and hairy. Would have liked to have known a bit about how They were excepted by the clan instead of moving on to the epilogue, nearly 25 years later.
on 15 February 2014
It was well written and had interesting characters, the plot was a little strange and her persistence to join the village annoyed me slightly but otherwise it was decent.