on 26 July 2017
A fascinating insight into the life and career of actor David Jason. He came from a very humble background starting out as an electrician before finding his passion in life acting in theatre productions then later on in television. He describes his rise to fame through his collaboration with fellow comedian Ronnie Barker who he successfully acted with in the TV series Open All Hours. He is perhaps most famous for his role as Del Boy in Only Fools and Horses and describes what inspired this TV series, his character and his fellow actors. David also talks about his relationship with his first partner and his grief over her loss to cancer and how he found love and happiness again with his wife and their daughter. David has much to celebrate in his life and acting career and deserves to be proud of his achievements.
on 22 April 2017
I'm old enough to have been a rapt watcher of Do Not Adjust Your Set as a kid so got to know the name David Jason from then, watching him reappear in later years to become perhaps the biggest UK TV 'star'. There are no great revelations or surprises in his story but he does have a very light readable style, often very funny. It seems unlikely that an actor can become famous without being made cynical by conflicts and confrontations but DJ seems to have managed to stay 'grounded', as they say, pushing on through the inevitable setbacks and turmoils while still seeming the sort if bloke who would be a right laugh down the pub. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 July 2014
This was one of the most interesting & enjoyable auto-biographies that I have read for a long time.

David Jason is pretty much the chap next door, always has been & I suspect that he always will be. This is a light-hearted trip through his life which is amusing, easy to read and entertaining. He gives credit where credit is due and avoids any malicious & nasty comments about anyone. Criticism of other people is mild & usually followed up later with a positive comment. David Jason manages to keep his private life relatively private but without leaving the reader feeling excluded or as if they are missing out. I also liked the fact that he was quite prepared to be self critical as required.

I have read celebrity auto-biographies in the past and been left with the feeling that I would never want to meet that person. I left this book feeling as if I would quite like to meet this person but with a weather eye out for a practical joke! The David Jason you see on TV is the chap in the book & I have no doubt the chap in real life. Although his life isn't full of amazing and stunning experiences it is interesting. His early years in amateur dramatics and training as an electrician were interesting as well as amusing. This is a book which I would quite happily recommend to anyone & indeed have already done so!
on 1 October 2017
Wonderful story with many anecdotes. I was worried that Only Fools was going to appear in volume 2 as it only appeared three quarters of the way through - I had not realised the sequence of each of his shows/sit coms. More of an actors story as the personal and family life elements are not significant within this book - maybe in another? But, what a thoroughly nice guy who was late into TV, but worked with the best and subsequently became the king of his craft - and he has not finished yet!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 January 2014
Having just completed reading the Kindle version of `David Jason: My Life,' I feel that I have spent an enjoyable last few days in the company of the man himself (and what a fascinating character he turned out to be!)

Consequently I now have a good understanding of what he is about and how he became the renowned professional comedy actor that he eventually did.

The behind-the-scenes decision makings in relation to the shows, with which he was involved, are particularly interesting.

So too are David Jason's references to characters, with whom he interacted at various points in his career, most of whom I can recall myself, as they relate to a period in television and theatrical history with which I am familiar. (Other readers less familiar with these times may not find this aspect of the book quite so interesting.)

There are some amusing anecdotes; many of which relate to practical jokes that the author had been instrumental in setting up during his working life. Others refer to occasions when things did not go according to plan and reveal a man who is able to laugh at himself in times of adversity, whilst philosophically regarding the unfortunate incidents as learning experiences.

In contrast there are also moments of sadness in the author's life, which are described with sensitivity and compassion and serve to allow the reader to empathise with him and gain a closer understanding of what kind of person he really is.

Personally I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would not hesitate in recommending it to others.
on 14 October 2013
I couldn't wait to read this book as I have been such a big fan of David Jason for many years. His longevity in the business is testament to the fact that this man gives everything to his various roles and this also comes across in the book. It is a very enjoyable and satisfying read and I found out things that no interview has ever covered. It is such a warm and good humoured book. He comes across as a really humble and "ordinary" guy but has so many interesting and funny stories to tell. Could highly recommend this fantastic auto-biography.
0Comment| 148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 January 2014
Mmmm... Well considering we have waited so long for Sir David Jason to actually write his own personal view of his life and career I must say I was a little disappointed with this book. I cannot really blame the author for the final product as it was really the work of the publisher and proof reader but I found it just did not flow and jumped around quite a lot .

I am a huge fan of the characters and works of David Jason but not to keen on him personally ( and yes I have had first hand experience of this ) I found like most people of his standing in the world of entertainment he is rather too private to really write his own true account book and having read it I can see so many gaps in his career.
However, like all stars the need for publicity is always greater than anything else when it suits them ( following many TV / Radio appearances to promote his book ) following these I cannot completely understand how he can choose when and where he wishes to be private?

I am rather glad I only spent £4 on the Kindle version and not £20 on the hardback . I can imagine for all the anorak die hard fans of Sir David Jason /OFAH / Open All Hours etc this is the Holy Grail for them but for me I can see it being the next £2.99 book bin fodder at "The Works " .......
on 7 March 2018
We have not had a television for 30 years and at the time did not miss it. We now have a smart TVs, very slim but other than the 2200 news watch 'live tv seldom. We collect dvd's and streaming so having found Frost I decided I wanted to know more about the person. The autobiography supplied the need in A very readable form and will lead to further purchases. Detailed, humorous and very readable.
on 18 January 2015
This is a good read. It is so interesting to learn about how all of David Jason's roles came about. I was absorbed by the story of his career. There is very little about his personal life which is fair enough - he is clearly a private person - but it means his character comes over as a bit cold. There is a lot of name dropping which is irritating after a bit but doesn't spoil the general enjoyment of the book. The best part is learning about Only Fools and Horses and how it came to be made etc. I recommend this book if you like David Jason and enjoy biographies but don't expect to really know the man after reading it as it doesn't go deep.
on 27 January 2014
Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses, Darling Buds of May, Touch of Frost...how many other British actors could claim a back catalogue of that quality on their CV?

David Jason's autobiography is a thought provoking and deliciously open insight into one of our greatest comic actors with plenty of background that isn't generally known.

I read this immediately after having read George Cole's 'The World was my Lobster' (one of the most disappointing books I have ever read) and the two are like chalk and cheese.

In this world where 'celebrities' have written (that's perhaps an exaggeration as I doubt that any can write at all) three life stories before they've begun shaving, it is refreshing to read the story of someone that has done so much with their career over so many years.

If there is a minor criticism it's that David has fallen into the 'luvvie' trap of prefixing almost every fellow actor with some form of superlative (they can't ALL be that wonderful!) but that's just nit-picking.

Anyone who loves Sir David's work won't be disappointed with this book.