Customer reviews

on 14 April 2017
Impressive piece of kit, easy to setup on Arduino. After soldering pins this unit was providing good results.
on 20 June 2017
Fully satisfied
on 16 April 2017
Great!
on 7 March 2017
as required
on 1 July 2014
This took quite a bit of googling to figure out because I am new to all this hobbyist electronics stuff but if you are too, here are a few pointers:

Read about I2C.
This device makes uses of I2C for communication

Read about interrupts
Again, this device uses them

Find the MPU6050 libraries and use the example code which uses the DMP
There are a lot of old forum posts claiming that the mysterious DMP hasn't been figured out and all you can do is read off raw values. This is NOT true, just look for more recent posts.

Read up on how to calibrate the sensor.
The values will float about on startup if you haven't calibrated it. Each individual sensor needs its own calibration values so you can't just put someone else's values into your sensor and expect it to work!
on 7 January 2014
I bought this item last month. It arrived promptly. I soldered one of the two supplied headers to the board and plugged it into my Arduino. I downloaded some freely available code from the web and it worked perfectly first time. Took me two days to mount it into my prototype quadcopter and write some code that uses the accelerometer to balance the copter in real-time. Piece of cake. Awesome value for money too!
44 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2015
This is a great little device, which with some nice coding can provide wonderful results.

I think this is a great guide on how to get it set-up and how to combine both accelerometer and gyroscope values into an accurate and reliable measurement: http://blog.bitify.co.uk/2013/11/reading-data-from-mpu-6050-on-raspberry.html

If using it with an Arduino, then this i2c library is excellent: https://github.com/jrowberg/i2cdevlib with my Arduino Uno R3 this library can give you a sample frequency of 100Hz, that includes various calculations to stabilise the readings and output in a useful form.

If, in your project, you also need a compass heading, then get the MPU9150 it is exactly the same board with a magnetometer included.
on 13 November 2016
Bought it for my arduino and works great and as expected, except once, where it just wouldnt respond wheres a minute ago it was to the exact same sketch with no changes but then gave it a break and tried after an hour and it works again! Don't know want happened there but has been working properly since although it has been only a couple of days. Good quality board and fairly easy to solder if you have some basic experience. Rest all was good and came with good packaging.
on 15 August 2014
Great price for an IMU with break out board. Jeff Rowberg's I2Cdevlib library for Arduino makes using it a breeze and supports the on board DMP too. Once calibrated it provides nice stable readings to my Mega 2560.
on 8 September 2016
Very good I2C accelerometer for a very low price. I have had one fail, but that may have been my fault when it was soldered. This works with a Raspberry Pi using standard techniques that are well documented. I bought a total of 4 now.