on 14 March 2014
Replacing an aging AMD chip this was a nice surprise. Even running at the stock speed of 3.5mhz it is quick. The on board graphics are not much to write home about and I disabled these and removed all Intel graphic drivers as they conflicted with the AMD R280X drivers causing a big delay booting. After that however it boots quickly and I have played with overclocking using the Gigabyte Z87x- UD4H motherboard but to be honest even with the most demanding of games the "Heaven" and 3D Mark Benchmarks are 70-80% better than most even at stock speeds so I have reset it 3.5mhz. Is it quicker than AMD 6 core and 8 core chips. Well it depends on what you use it for and what graphics card you have. Any multiple core chip allied to the best card you can afford will give excellent results. In hindsight I could have saved money getting an AMD 8 Core processor and it would have been cheaper and worked just as well but I made the choice as an experiment and happy to live with the results. The one thing, and this applies to AMD as well. Get a decent cooler that is silent. Even at full load the processor is still ticking over at 48 degrees c.
* * I am very pleased, i can't ask for more, it is a great product for the value. * *
on 6 April 2017
Working well. Delivered promptly.
on 27 February 2016
Great Processor, and fast too
VINE VOICEon 7 April 2014
I have just swapped out an i7-920 for one of these, and what a difference that is.

I tend to have quite a few programs running at the same time, normally more than 4, sometimes more than a dozen. The processor copes well. The 4 cores, like the previous i7-920, do become 8 virtual cores when required, and because of the multitasking capabilities of each virtual core, many more programs can be run simultaneously. My work load includes video editing, C, C# (Microsoft Visual Studio), and Python programing (using a freebee thing!), Animating using a range of products (Anime 2d, Toonboom 2d and Truespace 3d), photo editing (using Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, and other Astronomy related products), having a continuous security screen displayed from a webcam looking at our front door, running two screens with totally different programs on, using MS Word and Excel for multiple documents, and doing regular anti-virus/malware scans and backups, sometimes daily, sometimes simultaneously. Often these tasks are run simultaneously. The processor copes well. Oh, lets not forget the games and videos I might watch while I am waiting for a task to finish. And loads more. I am at the PC for at least 10 hours a day.

I have been holding off getting a new video card for the PC I have just built using this processor, I wanted to see how the new Intel graphics engine built into the processor worked. I am impressed. I have not yet found anything that has stopped the graphics, or that the graphics can't cope with. But I don't play, because of time, the more demanding games, I just play things like Civilisation (the English spelling, no z!), the Empire total war set, Dungeons and Dragons online, plus some of the free stuff given away with my 'Steam' account.

The processor, although not the fastest in the Haswell range, can be overclocked being the 4770K where the K denotes the processor has been unclocked. So the 3.5cGHz should ba capable of being improved on. I have seen some reports of these processors being clocked up to 4.5GHz. But I am using the supplied cooling that comes with the processor. I would not want to overclock it with standard cooling, although the supplied cooling might take the processor up to 4GHx OK, I don't want to risk it. I will wait a few months before I try overclocking. That is, I will wait until the processor seems slow, and that might not be that long, I have a history of getting bored with stuff quickly, not matter how good it is.

Overall, this is a great processor. If you tend to run up a lot of simultaneous processes, and want them to not hang around, this could be the processor for you.
on 1 November 2013
I've recently built myself a PC, the first one I've done and decided if I was doing it, I was going the whole hog and getting the best bits I could.

This processor sits definitively in that category.

It's not cheap by any means, but I've installed it onto an MSI 787-GD65-Gaming mother board and it was easy to install, was a HUGE jump on my old Q 9550 quad core and contrary to a lot of reviews I read, doesn't run that hot at all. Mind I am running a H100i closed loop cooling system so that will help, but even over clocked at 4.2Ghz it's still only getting up to 42-42 Celsius under normal use. By normal I mean gaming!

Whilst there may be cheaper processors that will give similar performance, I wanted the best I could afford and I can tell you now this has not disappointed.
55 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2014
I picked up this CPU for use in my Home theater setup, so that is what I will focus on... I'll leave the tech specs to others...

**Update: My CPU average temperatures at idle were 35C, using the same cooling setup on the 4770K I am seeing 32C... Also the Case ambient temps were 30C and now are 28C... Under load the CPU used to hit 69C, it now hits only 60C... This is using the same cooler as was used with the 3770K. So this CPU does appear to have a significant thermal advantage over the 3rd Gen i7 3770K...** This might be important if you are building a micro PC... Keep in mind these temps are at stock levels, I did not overclock my 3770K and have not done it on the 4770K... I bought the K option just in case I decided to do it...

This did change my "windows Experience Index" score from a 7.7 for the CPU (on the 3770K) to a 7.8 (on the 4770K)That is on a scale of 1.0-7.9 It did not change any other ratings on the system...
Determine from that what you will, but my actual usage scenario is below...

Keep in Mind, This CPU uses the 1150 Socket, not the 1155, So you will need a Motherboard that supports The 1150 Socket (but will fit CPU coolers designed for 1155 or 1156 sockets)... So if you plan to upgrade you're probably going to need a new Motherboard as well...

This is my real world experience:

I run Windows 7 with Various media programs installed, These include XBMC, MediaBrowser, Media Center Master, Serviio among a few others...

The major task I use this CPU for is simultaneously serving media to 6-8 TVs and keeping my media collection up to date and organized. Honestly an i7 is a bit overkill for this but I wanted to be sure I could handle even the most intense 1080p 3D trans-coding and streaming with all the TVs running at once. I jumped to the i7 4770K from the 3770K and honestly I see no real world difference...

The media does not seem measurably quicker, nor does it raise the quality (I use a discrete video Card for Graphics processing)...

Overall I think this CPU is awesome, but it is a modest jump from the 3770K and if you are on 3rd gen Intel i7 already I would skip the upgrade and stick with what you have, but if you are coming from a Gen 1-2 i7 the upgrade would be worth it... Spending upwards of $400 or more to upgrade (CPU and Motherboard)for a modest improvement just doesn't seem like a great value, but the significant improvements from the older Gen 1/2 i7's would make it worth the upgrade.

4 Stars for the Modest advancement, had this really made an impact in my home theater setup I could have given it 5 stars.

Components in my personal Build:
Silverstone Tek GD-08 Case
ASUS Z87-PRO Intel Z87 4DIMM ATX
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W 80+ Bronze
SAMSUNG 840 250GB 2.5 SATA III
Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50 GHz LGA1150
Kingston XMP 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL9 (Kit of 4) XMP
Blu-ray Optical Drive
5 Western Digital Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III (12TB Usable with Raid Config)
ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2, CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI Graphics Card

Just my thoughts,

MG
on 24 January 2014
First gaming build. Got this to go with MSI Z87-GD65-GAMING ATX Motherboard, well happy, no problems, goes like a dream.
on 13 January 2014
i bought this along with the msi z87 g45 motherboard.. i mainly use it for rendering and 3D stuff,its fast, great
on 18 March 2014
It's a great cpu, I got it for a gaming build along with an MSI gaming motherboard, SSD, 2133 mhz ram and an EVGA 780 graphics card. I've ended up with a capable gaming rig. The only thing you need to be aware of is what there calling the silicon lottery, Basically by buying a K model you get an unlocked chip that you can overclock. They do not all overclock the same so it's the luck of the draw how well yours overclocks. However even without an overclock it's one of the quickest cpu's available and beats the best AMD can offer in the majority of tests even if the AMD is overclocked and this isn't. So even a small overclock puts it way ahead of the competition in 80% of the tests that are available for benchmarking. The internet and U-tube is full of channels where you can research a product like this and that's what I did and this is the chip to have without going into the extreme in name and price chips.