on 10 April 2014
I picked up this CPU for use in my Home theater setup, so that is what I will focus on... I'll leave the tech specs to others...

**Update: My CPU average temperatures at idle were 35C, using the same cooling setup on the 4770K I am seeing 32C... Also the Case ambient temps were 30C and now are 28C... Under load the CPU used to hit 69C, it now hits only 60C... This is using the same cooler as was used with the 3770K. So this CPU does appear to have a significant thermal advantage over the 3rd Gen i7 3770K...** This might be important if you are building a micro PC... Keep in mind these temps are at stock levels, I did not overclock my 3770K and have not done it on the 4770K... I bought the K option just in case I decided to do it...

This did change my "windows Experience Index" score from a 7.7 for the CPU (on the 3770K) to a 7.8 (on the 4770K)That is on a scale of 1.0-7.9 It did not change any other ratings on the system...
Determine from that what you will, but my actual usage scenario is below...

Keep in Mind, This CPU uses the 1150 Socket, not the 1155, So you will need a Motherboard that supports The 1150 Socket (but will fit CPU coolers designed for 1155 or 1156 sockets)... So if you plan to upgrade you're probably going to need a new Motherboard as well...

This is my real world experience:

I run Windows 7 with Various media programs installed, These include XBMC, MediaBrowser, Media Center Master, Serviio among a few others...

The major task I use this CPU for is simultaneously serving media to 6-8 TVs and keeping my media collection up to date and organized. Honestly an i7 is a bit overkill for this but I wanted to be sure I could handle even the most intense 1080p 3D trans-coding and streaming with all the TVs running at once. I jumped to the i7 4770K from the 3770K and honestly I see no real world difference...

The media does not seem measurably quicker, nor does it raise the quality (I use a discrete video Card for Graphics processing)...

Overall I think this CPU is awesome, but it is a modest jump from the 3770K and if you are on 3rd gen Intel i7 already I would skip the upgrade and stick with what you have, but if you are coming from a Gen 1-2 i7 the upgrade would be worth it... Spending upwards of $400 or more to upgrade (CPU and Motherboard)for a modest improvement just doesn't seem like a great value, but the significant improvements from the older Gen 1/2 i7's would make it worth the upgrade.

4 Stars for the Modest advancement, had this really made an impact in my home theater setup I could have given it 5 stars.

Components in my personal Build:
Silverstone Tek GD-08 Case
ASUS Z87-PRO Intel Z87 4DIMM ATX
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W 80+ Bronze
SAMSUNG 840 250GB 2.5 SATA III
Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50 GHz LGA1150
Kingston XMP 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL9 (Kit of 4) XMP
Blu-ray Optical Drive
5 Western Digital Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III (12TB Usable with Raid Config)
ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2, CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI Graphics Card

Just my thoughts,

MG
3 people found this helpful
on 14 March 2014
Replacing an aging AMD chip this was a nice surprise. Even running at the stock speed of 3.5mhz it is quick. The on board graphics are not much to write home about and I disabled these and removed all Intel graphic drivers as they conflicted with the AMD R280X drivers causing a big delay booting. After that however it boots quickly and I have played with overclocking using the Gigabyte Z87x- UD4H motherboard but to be honest even with the most demanding of games the "Heaven" and 3D Mark Benchmarks are 70-80% better than most even at stock speeds so I have reset it 3.5mhz. Is it quicker than AMD 6 core and 8 core chips. Well it depends on what you use it for and what graphics card you have. Any multiple core chip allied to the best card you can afford will give excellent results. In hindsight I could have saved money getting an AMD 8 Core processor and it would have been cheaper and worked just as well but I made the choice as an experiment and happy to live with the results. The one thing, and this applies to AMD as well. Get a decent cooler that is silent. Even at full load the processor is still ticking over at 48 degrees c.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 April 2014
Really happy with this model, I almost bought a Ivybridge 3770K but the price difference was not huge at all to upgrade my build. using this with the Asus ROG Maximus extreme VI motherboard and it's flawless.
I was a little unhappy with cooling as I saw with my H100i would sit the temp at 37C for the core when at full load, I looked up and found out this has the same cheap Thermal cement Intel used for the Ivybridge, but upon removing the UHI on the cpu and then replacing the cement with Shin-etsu thermal paste ( which is hard to get... ) the temp fell to a nice 28C when at full throttle.

I have been able to clock this cpu to 5.4GHz with no issue the temp now sits at 45C at full throttle. and oh boy... is it fast. and I recon it can be clocked by a mere 0.4 more but I don't feel comfortable doing so till I have a custom water rig and a better understanding of overclocking.
Great CPU and if you want to know how to remove the UHI from a Haswell or Ivybridge then go to youtube. or buy the ARK series CPU ( haswell with better thermal paste and a teeny bit faster )
on 21 March 2015
CPU performance similar to high segment, great value for the energy efficiency performance, even faster hardware video converter (QuickSync), the new HD 4600 integrated graphics with good performance, the process of the 22-nm technology, the new multimedia instructions, a higher performance than the previous generation with the same taktowaniach , unlocked multiplier and the possibility of using BCLK overclocking
_

Stand forces the new motherboard, the maximum TDP higher than the previous generation, the relatively high price
on 1 April 2014
Bought this CPU as part of my new Gaming PC i've built (First build ever). At first I was planning on going for an i5 simply because the performance in games compared to this cpu isn't "Drasticly" different but when it comes to multitasking and video rendering/editing you honestly can't go wrong with this.

The stock speed is 3.50GHz like its stated, i've got mine running at a stable overclock of 4.5GHz and it's ridiculously quick. This CPU alongside decent ram, you'll have apps running flawlessly quick, open apps & web pages instantly.

My PC:
CASE: Corsair 750D Full ATX Windowed Case
MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Motherboard (Originally ordered from Amazon but part didn't arrive so I got a refund.)
CPU: i7 4770k @4.5GHz
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 780 Ti SC 3GB
RAM: Kingston XMP Beast Series 16GB 2400MHz DDR3 RAM
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
HDD: WD 1TB
CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i extreme liquid cooler
PSU: Corsair AX1200i Professional Series Digital Fully Modular

I've got all this running on my Asus VG248QE 24-inch 3D 144Hz LED Monitor to give the super smooth & sharp graphical image.

All in all, this CPU is a godsend. Absolutely perfect, runs cool on the H100i, no problems installing it onto the MOBO, chews through everything you throw at it and will still take more... The intergrated graphics is really good too! Can run new games at the 30-50~ FPS mark depending on your graphical settings. I've tested the graphics on games such as World of Warcraft and it can handle it incredibly well. Got constant 80+ FPS with AA on, Shadows and most of the other settings at Ultra settings.
on 13 September 2014
Woosh..... This thing flies - just right for intensive crunching activities such as video editing (though not as much of a benefit over an i5 for gaming so I hear)

Woosh could also be the sound of the large amount of cash being wrenched from your wallet :(

Luckily, I paid by credit card so I didn't hear a thing.
One person found this helpful
on 6 April 2014
Boot up time is a little faster, runs a hell of a lot cooler and thanks to this CPU alone I now have a windows rating of 7.9, which I didn't think was too bad...

Would recommend, even though the price is a little steep, it was worth saving up for it for a little longer. Though I would say that the differences between this and a mid range i5 is not noticeable if you are only gaming. For people who only want to game and general use, save your money, buy and i5 and put the money you saved towards a better GPU as that is what most games run on, the GPU not the CPU so much. Though if you're like me and looking to buy this for renderings 3D models etc, as well as gaming and general use, then look no further.

on 16 January 2014
The latest generation from Intel, and it just gets better! Rather pricey, but if you want power in games and rendering than you want an i7, but if you are looking to just game than an i5 will be more than good enough for you! will have to say though i run into a slight issue with the temperature of my i7, under full load on Prime95 after 3 minutes i clocked @ 99c :/ So if you are an intensive user then getting aftermarket cooling is a MUST! the stock cooler just doesn't cut it for hardcore gamers and renderers, Overall i am very happy with my 4770K (apart from the heat issue) but i'm replacing the stock cooler with an H100i so heat won't be a problem anymore :) If you have the money for one of these then go ahead! but if you don't then an AMD FX Black Edition FX-8350 would suit you! Especially price/power ratio! :)
on 3 June 2015
I run this chip on a MSI z87 G45 gaming motherboard, with a couple of SSD's and a EVGA gtx 780ti graphics card.
Can't beat the performance both in-game and generally within the Windows 7 environment. Fast, responsive and deals with almost anything
i can throw at it. Very pleased.
|0Comment|Report abuse
* * I am very pleased, i can't ask for more, it is a great product for the value. * *
One person found this helpful