on 24 June 2014
I spent quite a while trying to decide between this and the i7-4770k for my new gaming computer. Ultimately I decided to save some money by taking the i5-4760k and I'm very happy with my decision. Coupled with the GTX770 (2Gb model by Palit http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palit-GeForce-Jetstream-Graphics-Express/dp/B00D3ZYDLQ/) it plays every game I've tried on maximum/ultra settings without a problem.

Even new 2014 games like Titanfall easily exceed the 60fps required for truely smooth gameplay and the slowest framerate I've seen so far was about 40fps on Crysis 3 when I turned absolutely every setting I could find up to the maximum possible.

So if you're making a gaming pc then really you don't need to get anything better than this. There are no games available yet that this can't run easily with a decent graphics card.

That said, I would definitely encourage you to look at the new Devil's Canyon range of chips which have just been released and can be bought at other retailers online now (June 2014). For the uninitiated these are a 'refreshed' update of the current Haswell chip range (which includes this i5-4670k). The refreshed version of the i5-4760k will be the Devil's Canyon i5-4690k. (The higher spec i7-4770 becomes the new Devil's Canyon i7-4790k by the way)

The new Devil's Canyon versions have slightly higher chip speeds and are better at heat management so the chips are less likely to overheat under stress or due to overclocking. The new Devil's Canyon chips are of course more expensive, but are slightly more future proofed for future games and applications.

But as I said above, if you're trying to make a gaming computer on a limited budget then you can't go wrong with the i5-4760k. It can confidently handle any game out there right now! :)
on 7 June 2014
This review is for people considering this CPU for their gaming PC.

The i5-4670k is an amazing piece of hardware. I've been trying to build a gaming PC to handle my favourite games, but it's taken me three attempts to get it right.

I decided to purchase this, along with the Gigabyte Z97X-SLI motherboard, and it's a great combo. My previous CPU was an AMD FX-8320, which was incapable of keeping BF4 running stable, and would constantly fluctuate between 22 and 45FPS - a very annoying experience. With this i5, I have managed to not only maintain a minimum frame rate above 60FPS, but I have also increased some of the settings, to the point where I am almost on full ultra.

I have achieved this with a Gigabyte HD7870 OC graphics card, which is the same GPU I used with the FX-8320.
My performance on PlanetSide 2 also increased significantly, and Watch Dogs, which would turn into a slideshow when driving, became completely playable.

Then I decided to overclock. I didn't change any voltages, and I am using a Noctua NH-D14 to keep my CPU temperatures under control. I went up to 4GHz before I started to have throttling problems due to high temperatures - but an i5-4670k at 4GHz is an absolute beast.

I can post benchmarks all day, but here's the bottom line: If you want to play high end games, like Battlefield 4, PlanetSide 2, Watch Dogs and Arma, and you want them to run well, consistently, you REQUIRE an Intel CPU.

I've had a couple of AMD CPUs now, and for the price, they aren't bad, but - none of them can compete with an i5 in gaming performance. If you want the smoothest gaming experience possible, get a good i5, such as this.

NOTES on i5 vs i7: Comparing this to the i7-4770k, if you are looking for gaming performance, the i7 will give you no advantage. Hyperthreading sometimes gives an extra 1FPS, and sometimes it gives you 1 less. Hyperthreading doesn't really work in games, and I can't recommend an i7 for gaming when this i5 will give you equal performance. If you are looking for more than gaming performance, then hyperthreading can help you out. In gaming, hyperthreading does nothing - and that is the only real difference between i5 and i7.

NOTES ON OVERCLOCKING: The 'k' at the end of the model number means that the CPU is 'unlocked'. This means it can be overclocked. So the i5-4670 cannot be overclocked, but the i5-4670k can. Considering the minimal price difference, go for this unlocked version in case you decide to overclock.

In summary - The best high end gaming CPU for the money = i5-4670k. No CPU will give you better gaming performance. You can buy an i7, but you will see no benefit in GAMING.
on 31 May 2017
For what it was it was amazing. Paired with a gtx 770 it still handles most games on very high
on 19 October 2017
Still going strong today.
on 3 January 2014
So far very impressed. I've paired this with an Asus Z87-K motherboard and G-skill 8Gb Ripjaw DD3 2133 memory and it flies. With my Nvidia 550Ti graphics card I am running games such as Far Cry 3 and Crysis on Ultra settings and they look amazing. For the money this was definately worth it.
on 6 April 2017
Very Good
on 4 June 2014
Been a fan of AMD for years, Now this cpu has made me change, I have had this CPU for 7 months and its brilliant, Temps are low esp when Playing BF4 :D
on 28 July 2013
If you have a 3570k, its not worth buying a new motherboard over, as you wont get a worthwhile performance boost over ivy bridge, and ivy bridge over clocks better, so they're pretty much exactly the same. For a brand new system however, its definitely worth purchasing, temperatures at stock are great, don't know about overclocking temps, but anyone else will tell you they're bad, so if you plan to over clock, keep the speeds low and/or get a aftermarket cooler. Performance wise, its brilliant, a small improvement over ivy bridge (I haven't over clocked) handles high end games at 1080p beautifully and is definitely a worthwhile purchase. Highly recommend for brand new systems.
Also my gfx card is a gtx 650 ti boost.
11 Comment| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2013
What a fantastic CPU, it beats my old AMD FX 6300 in minimum framerate so a lot less jitters and general pc speed has seemingly increased too. I wont detail about max FPS since my display is mostly vsynced to 60 to avoid tearing. However keeping to that 60 sweet spot is a lot easier now.

First time I've seen a chip without guide PINS (mostly an AMD user up until now), so make sure you get the orientation right with the triangles before even taking it out of the box. Don't want to mess around holding it for too long, just get that bad boy right in there and clamp it down.

Idles at 18C and probably goes to 35 or so during heavy gaming, very cool with a Zalman tower fan. Threads are not really as important for gaming, except in a few cases, so this is an excellent alternative if you were looking at the 4770k and didn't want to max out your budget.

If you do a lot of 3d/graphics rendering, audio processing or you run a server or VM then get the 4770k, otherwise get this beast. You won't be disappointed.
on 8 October 2014
If you're looking to buy this product, you probably should. This is a fantastic processor, a really great bit of kit. I overclocked mine to 4.2GHZ by just going into the bios and changing the CPU ration to 42. 4.2 GHZ is actually quite low compared to other overclocks ive seen though, using the exact same processor. This is still very impressive though, as you are getting AT LEAST 0.8ghz for free. More often then not I see these babies overclock to 4.5ghz with reasonably priced cooling units.

In case you're wondering whether to get this or the AMD FX8350 (or other similair products), the main difference between intel and amd is the price. AMD's tend to be cheaper but run hotter. Both brands will serve you VERY well though.