Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 23 April 2014
I downloaded this book because I am at a crossroads in my own life. I am in my fifties. I left a job I hated last year. It was the best thing I ever did. I am very broke but a million times happier, I was very scared about leaving for financial reasons but I am still alive and my health is improving day by day. Now I am at a stage where I want to do something I enjoy and earn a living doing it. Very much enjoyed this book. Loved his honesty and kindness. Love his approach to life and people. Am definitely going to look up his blog and other books.
on 4 June 2013
If you're unlucky enough to be an employee, you'll know that the nature of employment is changing rapidly. James tells you why it's changing, how it's changing, and what it will change into. He then tells you what you can do to avoid being destroyed by this change. An entertaining and engaging book written by a true visionary - this is a book that will save your life.
on 11 April 2014
I have read a great number of self help books, some good and some not so good, and this lies somewhere in the middle ground. It has moments of original brilliance that truly inspire you interlaced with rather pretentious passages that don't make much sense or recycle well known material. Sometimes I loved the author's quirky writing style, other times it grated on me. However, overall this is an entertaining, thought provoking read and others might love it judging by some of the other glowing reviews !
on 1 September 2013
I am in a really good place in my life right now, and already have already Chosen Myself. But I decided to read James' book anyway after listening to an interview he gave, and I am so glad I did!

This boom is far more than just a pep talk, or motivational text. It reminds of of what is truly important in life. For all his past mistakes James is a very clever guy, he has found a way of dealing with the stress of leading a lifestyle and working environment that is highly volatile. This is experience is perfectly inline with what many of us face today, whatever level our careers are currently at.

James I just want to say thank you for helping me even though I didn't even think I needed it. You have given me much to consider, and many things to implement in my daily workflow.

Idea generation is now my top priority each day!
on 7 February 2015
I've now read and re-read this book on a number of occasions. It is very inspiring. It takes a view which you don't hear too often elsewhere. On the negative side is that it is a little repetitive, light on action plans and towards the end is clearly made up of a set of articles/ essays rather than being a single piece of work.
on 20 July 2013
Tried a sample and couldn't get my card registered quick enough to buy the full book!

Simple, stylish and downright clever. The blatant honesty of the author is invigorating, his teachings revolutionary.

Wealthy/successful people are considered elite, secretive, and aloof. We nurture misconceptions about 'how the other half live', but Choose Yourself snaps-back on that ever increasing gap, laying a virtual foundation to bridge it.

Bureaucratic hierarchy is slammed as the author invites us, challenges us even, to dare to dream outside the battered old box of social conformity.

With practical advice and step-by-step guides, this book really is a one-for-all must read!
on 30 September 2013
I am not really impressed with the book. I have read james interview on mfl forum and decided to buy his book. I guess most of the book value can be found on that mfl interview. There are no profound sentences in the book, it didn't teach me that much new stuff. Some parts were quiet boring, hwowever the price was pretty cheap on kindle.

I liked what he said about writing 10 goals per days.

But the book is over-hyped, not all that, I was not impressed.
on 13 August 2013
I like the book and enjoyed it very much. However, a great part of the book come from previous books such as " I was blind but I can see" or posts from his website. Anyway, I like reading his posts and publications but would rather to buy a book that I have never read before.
on 4 October 2014
I enjoyed this book for how "real" it is. Life is a challenge but it is up to us how we respond to it. The author talks about how the world is changing and "jobs" as we know them are disappearing and not going to be replaced so it is important to "Choose Yourself" to be in charge of your own destiny. It's not easy and the author has MANY examples of his own failures but encourages us to move forward and to do that he details a "daily practice" which is quite similar to what I already do.

Give it a read. I am sure you will learn something.
on 5 August 2013
I was very excited to read Choose Yourself. Having discovered James Altucher's blog a few months ago I was already a big fan of his writing. However the book surpasses even that.

Now nothing in the book is especially new or revolutionary. As a long time reader of self help books, some of the tips are from there (such as accepting your problems derive from inside yourself, not external factors). His comments on the economy and the way the world is moving from a 'linear' (where it's all about what you can do and get for yourself) to a 'networked'(about how it is about helping other people) overlap with much of Seth Godin's message (another great author who you should read).

Altucher has a remarkable gift though to interweave these messages with stories that are so poignant, personal and often embarrassing that they make you laugh out loud (I did this many times) and sometimes bring small tears to your eyes. If there is a more honest non-fiction writer out their I would love to know, because Altucher sets the bar for honesty and realness incredibly high. These stories all serve a purpose though and they all relate back to the message that choosing yourself is the only way. The economy and the world as it is not only needs you to choose yourself, it may be the only option.

He doesn't just talk about this situation though. He gives tangible, easily understood and practical action tips that you can do every day to help you Choose Yourself. Having been practising this Daily Routine for 4 days now, my life is already enhanced suitably. You may think that's just the buzz of having read the book on me - it's not. This is the real deal. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Read it, dissect it, live it and Choose Yourself! Because nobody else will!