on 9 November 2017
Arcadi Volodos is a genius of the keyboard, and this is one of his greatest achievements. Volodos uses his superb technique to create many dynamic levels and lovely tonal variations, and he imbues the music with a sense of depth one might not always think is there.
on 5 September 2015
What a disc. Great sound, wonderful music but poor packaging. Extracting the CD an experience ! Not to be missed & for Volodos fans, essential.
on 27 May 2015
Beautiful piano playing, amazing insight, subtlety and musicality. One of those discs that should be an every piano music lover's collection, very highly recommended.
on 24 September 2016
Excellent recording
on 21 December 2013
Wonderful recording,which I heard reviewed on Radio 3.
Volodos is one of the greatest of today's pianists ,in my opinion,and this disc does not disappoint.
Mompou is a favourite composer-I already have Stephen Hough's Hyperion recording-and this makes for the perfect addition to my collection.
Volodos plays with commendable subtlety and restraint and the haunting,evanescent quality of Mompou's music is given its just deserts.
Highly recommended.
2 people found this helpful
on 3 October 2013
This disc received a very positive review in Gramophone magazine so I was intrigued. My first listening, I thought it might be a little too simple, a little too much like second hand Erik Satie. But on repeated listening, I've come to understand the music on its own terms. It gets under your skin. Volodos knows what he's doing. The only serious problem is that SONY hasn't made it available in the US and apparently, has no plans to do so.
One person found this helpful
on 11 August 2014
Volodos is an all time great pianist and hear he is revealing aspects of Mompou probably unknown to many. Worth getting to hear music which will almost certainly grow on you.
on 20 August 2014
Beautiful mystical music superbly played.
on 16 February 2015
I am so glad that I have discovered this amazing music.
on 25 July 2013
Volodos never ceases to surprise me. Not because of his relative youth and flawless technique, which today can be equalled by pianists of most nations. He surprises me because of the intelligence behind his interpretations - an intelligence that leaves behind (with the exception of another Russian, Sokolov) all living pianists.
3 people found this helpful